Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3g broadband modem query

Options
  • 20-06-2007 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

(I apologise if this is in the wrong fourm, move if necessary)

Ok, i don't live in 3g coverage, but recently I've been able to achieve 2 bars on my phone with 3G coverage.

Anyway, I was wondering will this be enough for the 3g broadband modem to work. And if not, will it still be faster than dial-up if it works through the standard GPRS network?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PunchI

The general consensus seems to be if you can make and receive a video call, in theory, you should be able to get 3G broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

2 bars should definitely be enough if its steady, one bar would be too, however for stability you would likely need to have an external arial attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 git74

whats and external arial, is this for the Vodafone 3G model, how and where do i get one of these!

Thanks
    Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

git74 wrote:
    whats and external arial, is this for the Vodafone 3G model, how and where do i get one of these!

Thanks
    Gar
    You can't use an external antena of any kind with this model of modem.
    All you can do is use a longer usb cable to perhaps move the modem so as to improve your signal. Hanging it out the window usually helps a little.

Sorry just saw its voda! is it a usb or a pc card?

its the USB model
    voda_3g_modem_1.jpg
    Gar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Well then my previous post applies. Get yourself a longer usb cable and see what, if any effect that has on picking up a stronger signal is really all you can do.

Ill give it a shot, thanks johnplayerblue :D
    Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I'm using one with 1-2 bars of signal without too many problems. I can RAS into the work network and run my desktops using remote desktop and I might as well be sitting in the office.

If I move around I can get a better signal sometimes but it's not critical for basic connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

2 bars should be grand generally. It's where you're only getting 1 bar that it becomes unstable, in my experience.

Advertisement