Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where's my disk space gone?

• 20-06-2007 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I have an old IBM 20gb hdd which I wanted to use to store music. While I was transferring files I got the message "no more space on disk" when I checked I'd only transferred 7.5gb. Where's the rest gone? The disk had been formatted and is not showing any other data. This is on a Gateway 500 running Windows 2000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Click Start-Run and then type compmgmt.msc. Scroll down to Disk Management and see whats up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

well windows will take probably 1gb, pagefile is probably 500mb, same with hibernation. then take into consideration that when formated it will be about 15-20% less. So you are still missing a little bit. Check the soze of all the folders to see if something else has been moved over too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If it's old it might have a few bad sectors. Try a scandisk to see if everything is OK with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Thanks for the replies. tried all suggestions. There is no, and as far as I know never has been, an OS on this disk. The disk has been partitioned and 11.5gb allocated to a logical drive.(This is where it all becomes gobbledegook to me). Why couldn't I see the partition and how do I get rid of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hidden partition probably, or maybe it's a Unix partition which can't be recognized by Windows, or a recovery partition like Dell have, in either case you can delete it and resize your other partition to absorb the unallocated space.

You should be able to do this with GParted (I think, but I've never used it before for Windows partitions): http://gparted.sourceforge.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows disk management will resize partitions upwards (in xp anyway). If you have vista it can even shrink them, which used to require third party tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

OK, I'm out of my depth here. I managed to delete the logical drive in disk management and now I have 11gb of free space, but how do I recover that to use?

Advertisement