Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Manhunt 2 Thread.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Speculation:
    Need to sell a lot of them to make money....
    Manhunt re-work could cost $1 million

http://rte.ie/arts/2007/0629/manhunt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

*check wikipedia if you are unfamiliar with the work of Maxx Hardcore. A true evil of the world.
    MooseJam wrote:
    I did, there's nothing about him in it ?

Sorry Moosejam, I made a typo, it should be Max Hardcore (not MAXX)

Here's the link anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hardcore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Beelzebub wrote:
    Speculation:
    Need to sell a lot of them to make money....
    Manhunt re-work could cost $1 million

http://rte.ie/arts/2007/0629/manhunt.html

Pfft. Re-worked version? Don't think I'd bother. I'd just wait about two years for it to be given the Carmageddon treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

Ciaran500 wrote:
    75pxesrbaoeb0.png

18+

this quote proves that people of a mature nature should only be allowed to play these games..

i loved the original MAnHunt... and yes.. i can distinguish the difference between games and reality.. and no i have not though about stabbin my nurse 72 times ha ha..

but seriously.. should we be required to give an analysis on customers that buy manhunt2 jus to prove they're not feeble minded and will conduct murders and such..

jus because we play the games does not mean its supposed to become portrayed in real life.. people can distinguish the difference cant they...

does the phrase "Columbine HighSchool Shooting" prove my point to everyone.. and that was quoted sayin "doom made me do it".. "Marilyn Manson made me do it"..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

lego wrote:
    Historically, appeals to the VAC are often successfull.

True, but if the appeal was overturned its' hard to imagine Rockstar releasing an uncut version of Manhunt 2 only in the UK :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

True, but if the appeal was overturned its' hard to imagine Rockstar releasing an uncut version of Manhunt 2 only in the UK :confused:

Its not hard for me to imagine, they could have already released it in Scandinavia if they wanted to. I believe they are trying to increase the number of places it can be legally sold before their new launch date around September/October.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_2#Certification_difficulties

If IR Gurus Interactive can make and release a Gaelic Games Football game specifically for the small Irish market, I don't see why R* would avoid the opportunity, if it presented itself, to sell Manhunt 2 in any affluent western world country with high game console sales.

http://www.irgurus.com/

http://www.gaelic-games-football.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Hmm... To everybody saying that all censorship is bad and the IFCO shouldn't be allowed do this at all, no matter how violent or horrific or senseless the game is, is there any point at which you'd draw a line?

I'd really rather not use a straw man, but would you guys really have no problem with my graphic, realistic project "Rape Sim Xtreme" hitting the shelves? or some kind of Paedophilia based RPG? I really don't want to get into that in depth and explain exactly what kind of features these games could have, but I'm sure you've all got good imaginations. Should there not be somebody to stop these things being sold, whether or not there's a market for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

passive wrote:
    Hmm... To everybody saying that all censorship is bad and the IFCO shouldn't be allowed do this at all, no matter how violent or horrific or senseless the game is, is there any point at which you'd draw a line?

I'd really rather not use a straw man, but would you guys really have no problem with my graphic, realistic project "Rape Sim Xtreme" hitting the shelves? or some kind of Paedophilia based RPG? I really don't want to get into that in depth and explain exactly what kind of features these games could have, but I'm sure you've all got good imaginations. Should there not be somebody to stop these things being sold, whether or not there's a market for it?

I imagine a game like 'rape sim xtreme' wouldn't be economically viable because lots of people enjoy killing games...i've never thought 'hey this game would be great if only there was some rape in it' so i don't think it would sell...thats just a personal opinion though. Also i can't imagine what the purpose of a Paedophilia RPG, collect sweets to lure children into cars so you can rape them? ill tell you from experience (being a child not raping them) kids are dumb, it wouldn't exactly be a hard game. I suggest you check out Super Columbine RPG if you want to play a ****ed up game. All the same though i have to say films containing rape, murder, torture, paedophilia, child rape are unbelievably numerous, also im sure there will be a Columbine recreation that will come out in the future. I have seen school children brutally murder each other in order to save their own lives (Battle Royal) and ive seen a woman abort a baby with a coat hanger then feed the fetus to people (Dumplings) Why is all these things suddenly more disturbing when its a video game. To all the people who have said Video games are more divoced from reality than films, i couldnt agree more, ive never cringed at a game but turn on Saw and stomach does a flip.

Again i see people complaining because of the wiimotes controls for the game and ive already said this in another 'manhunt 2' thread: i know how to rip off a mans testicals with a pliars, i dont need to practice it with a wiimote either, ive not tried but i imagine first time i do i'm going to succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

if it gets released it's going to sell like hotcakes, fingers crossed

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote:

Well they had a copy on the shelf for preorder on the Wii. In Gamestop.

In Las Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

MooseJam wrote:

I hope not - it's a slap in the face to a lot of quality games developers if something like this sells purely for it's shock value while other games stay on the shelves.

steviec wrote:
    I hope not - it's a slap in the face to a lot of quality games developers if something like this sells purely for it's shock value while other games stay on the shelves.

I'd rate Rockstar as a quality developers of games for more mature tastes. The Warriors, GTA series, Manhunt, Max Payne. What games would be deprived of shifting units by the massive sales of Manhunt 2? Okami? Completely different market. Also it's far from a new release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Gizzle wrote:
    I'd rate Rockstar as a quality developers of games for more mature tastes. The Warriors, GTA series, Manhunt, Max Payne. What games would be deprived of shifting units by the massive sales of Manhunt 2? Okami? Completely different market. Also it's far from a new release.

Manhunt and games like it are the exact antithesis of mature.

I hope that if manhunt 2 is ever released that it has something to justify itself beyond the violence and blood. I doubt it, but i can always hope that rockstar went to the bother of creating something good as opposed to yet another title designed to sell just off the hype and pretence of being mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Suprised no one mentioned it but there was a leak of an early version of the uncut game. Not sure how good it is, but if you really want to play the uncut one its out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Suprised no one mentioned it but there was a leak of an early version of the uncut game. Not sure how good it is, but if you really want to play the uncut one its out there.

If you liked the 1st one which imo was pure ****, you will like this one, its more crap.

Control is a little better but tbh i done worse in other games that i didnt have too.

kdjac

Manhunt and games like it are the exact antithesis of mature.

I hope that if manhunt 2 is ever released that it has something to justify itself beyond the violence and blood. I doubt it, but i can always hope that rockstar went to the bother of creating something good as opposed to yet another title designed to sell just off the hype and pretence of being mature.

Antithesis of mature? Try to back up your claims instead of just throwing around hyperbole. Just because a game/movie uses shock tactics doesn't mean you can write it off as immature tripe. The violence was perfectly suitable to the context of the game, a snuff movie. Not exactly a setting where tickling brutal gang members to death would suffice. Would you rate Reservoir Dogs et al as "the antithesis of mature"?

Not a GTA fan either, eh? Judging by the storyline and reviews it has gotten it does seem to "justify itself beyond violence and blood", but I'll have to wait until I play the game myself to see if it's true.

Then again, I really enjoyed the first one, and if the sequel is the same with a deeper storyline, I'll be happy.

The moral is, if you don't like the game, don't buy it. It beats trying to justify your reasons for not buying the game from atop your Ivory Tower.

Gizzle wrote:
    Antithesis of mature? Try to back up your claims instead of just throwing around hyperbole. Just because a game/movie uses shock tactics doesn't mean you can write it off as immature tripe.

It does if, like manhunt, the premise was as flimsy as "you're in a snuff film for no real reason, now go kill these people, also, for no real reason except y'know, i've told you that you're in a snuff film"
    Gizzle wrote:
    The violence was perfectly suitable to the context of the game, a snuff movie. Not exactly a setting where tickling brutal gang members to death would suffice. Would you rate Reservoir Dogs et al as "the antithesis of mature"?

No, reservoir dogs is a perfect example of everything Manhunt isn't. A better film to compare it too is Rob Zombies "House of 1000 Corpses ", which like manhunt has nothing to offer besides it's violence, no character development and no real reason for what happens aside from "just because"

Gizzle wrote:
    Not a GTA fan either, eh?

no, but not for the reasons you'd think.

Gizzle wrote:
    Then again, I really enjoyed the first one, and if the sequel is the same with a deeper storyline, I'll be happy.

The moral is, if you don't like the game, don't buy it. It beats trying to justify your reasons for not buying the game from atop your Ivory Tower.

No, the moral is that there is a world of difference between being intended for mature auidences and actually being mature.
    Violence and blood don't make a game mature, the themes a game deals with, how it deals with them is what makes a game mature. You can like or dislike manhunt as much as you like, thats your call, but the actual maturity of the game itself isn't really something thats up for debate. It's cheap shock-horror for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

No, the moral is that there is a world of difference between being intended for mature auidences and actually being mature.
    Violence and blood don't make a game mature, the themes a game deals with, how it deals with them is what makes a game mature. You can like or dislike manhunt as much as you like, thats your call, but the actual maturity of the game itself isn't really something thats up for debate. It's cheap shock-horror for the sake of it.

This is something a lot of people don't seem to understand. There was an article on Gamecentral a few weeks back talking about how the word mature is thrown about in video games. Their point was that games manufacturers create 'mature' games that just over use violence and treat sex really lightly, exactly the thing 14\15 year old boys are attracted to and think is 'cool' rather than well adjusted adults.

Oh joy, my first tete á tete! :D
    It does if, like manhunt, the premise was as flimsy as "you're in a snuff film for no real reason, now go kill these people, also, for no real reason except y'know, i've told you that you're in a snuff film".

I'm presuming you haven't played through the first manhunt to the end? Or if you have followed the story on the way? I'm not going to go into all the things that are wrong with that gross generalisation of the storyline (granted, it's not deep, but not as shallow as that) because you can read full storyline synopses on countless sites on the interweb, and mainly, the first manhunt isn't the topic of discussion here, it's manhunt 2.
    No, reservoir dogs is a perfect example of everything Manhunt isn't.

Not within the context that I'm using it i.e. violence suitable for it's target audience and inkeeping with the dark, brutal theme.
    A better film to compare it too is Rob Zombies "House of 1000 Corpses ", which like manhunt has nothing to offer besides it's violence, no character development and no real reason for what happens aside from "just because".

I haven't seen that film probably because of the description you've given it, but with regards to your point, see my top comment.
    no, but not for the reasons you'd think.

Well I'm not particularly fond of GTA either, but this is no place for camaraderie! :p
    You can like or dislike manhunt as much as you like, thats your call, but the actual maturity of the game itself isn't really something thats up for debate.

Oh but it is up for debate, or am I missing the point of this thread, topic or website? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Manhunt doesn't have a plot, Manhunt has a premise. It occasionally advances or updates that premise to provide additional motivation to the protagonists. But it doesn't provide anything worthy of being called a plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

calsatron wrote:
    Manhunt doesn't have a plot, Manhunt has a premise. It occasionally advances or updates that premise to provide additional motivation to the protagonists. But it doesn't provide anything worthy of being called a plot.

Doesnt provide anything to call it a game either, its really really bad. Like Superman on the N64 bad.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So violence is ok with a story? If I didn't think much of the Reservoir Dogs story could I complain to have it banned?

Gizzle wrote:
    Oh joy, my first tete á tete! :D

Your first time? Don't worry, i'll be gentle ;)

Gizzle wrote:
    I'm presuming you haven't played through the first manhunt to the end? Or if you have followed the story on the way? I'm not going to go into all the things that are wrong with that gross generalisation of the storyline (granted, it's not deep, but not as shallow as that) because you can read full storyline synopses on countless sites on the interweb, and mainly, the first manhunt isn't the topic of discussion here, it's manhunt 2.

I was being somewhat flippant, but thats really because after clearing manhunt, thats what i really felt the story amounted to. Now, at this point i was playing it out of sheer stubborn-ness, so maybe i did miss something.
    As an aside i can't seem to find a very detailed plot synopsis anywhere online, most are as short as my original one.
    Linky?

Gizzle wrote:
    Not within the context that I'm using it i.e. violence suitable for it's target audience and inkeeping with the dark, brutal theme.

Thats true to a degree, but my reasoning is that in resovior dogs, the violence complements the plot and isn't overused (the infamous guard scene aside, i really don't recall the film being too gruesome), or indeed used in place of the plot.

Gizzle wrote:
    Oh but it is up for debate, or am I missing the point of this thread, topic or website? :confused:

yeah, ok, i was hoping to get away with that...

But really, what i was getting at that if you start to make the distinction between a game for mature audiences, whereby the people watching/playing are old enough to (hopefully) not be affected adversely by the content, and a mature game that deals with a subject matter in an adult way, then you can see that while manhunt (and presumably manhunt2) would fall into the first category, they don't belong in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Manhunt 2 changes (that meant it got an M rating instead of AO) detailed on this page:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/819/819465p1.html

As an aside i can't seem to find a very detailed plot synopsis anywhere online, most are as short as my original one.
    Linky?

Apologies, I've been as successful as yourself in getting a decent synopsis off t'internet :o

I'd type out one but it would be a bit disjointed, it's been a while since I played the game, so the chronology of events would be somewhat off.
    But really, what i was getting at that if you start to make the distinction between a game for mature audiences, whereby the people watching/playing are old enough to (hopefully) not be affected adversely by the content, and a mature game that deals with a subject matter in an adult way, then you can see that while manhunt (and presumably manhunt2) would fall into the first category, they don't belong in the second

Hmm, I agree with you here, but....you smell. There I said it. :p

But seriously, I agree that while the first manhunt would hardly factor into the second category, it's storyline, while weak compared to Fahrenheit or other games, is still relevant and fitting to the brutal violence. Also manhunt 2 is at least making inroads towards fitting into both. However, I'm just basing this on previews/reviews/multimedia on the official website as opposed to hands-on time.
    koneko wrote:
    Manhunt 2 changes (that meant it got an M rating instead of AO) detailed on this page:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/819/819465p1.html

That's a bit of a disappointment. I'd rather they'd toned down or changed the most gruesome executions rather thatn adding an annoying blur/filter. A similar thing really wrecked my head with the Punisher game.

Advertisement