Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new rig - i got bored.

Options
  • 20-06-2007 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I was contemplating the Dell offer (sub 400quid one with monitor), went on to Komplett and threw some money at them. Here is the spec, what you think?

Gigabyte Triton GZ-XX1CA-SNB Black
    NorthQ 4775-400BULK, ATX 400W, 120mm
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4,
    Gainward GeForce 7600GS 256MB Passive,
    Samsung SpinPoint T166 250GB SATA2
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-5170 IDE Black OEM,
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2b

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on what it's for? NorthQ are very poorly regarded, just so you know, that'd be the first thing everyone will recommend you change regardless of the machines purpose. It's a nice high spec machine, so that might lead to believe you'll be playing games - if so, the 7600GS is capable but very budget, I'd recommend a minimum of something like an X1650xt or 7600/8600gt for someone building a new machine with that purpose, and even then you're only hitting low mid range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I wasn't really on a budget, that's all I had left to max my credit card with. I'm running SLI so I might put in another of the same card. I'm not happy with the NorthQ too, but something for the moment, maybe push it up to a decent 700w when I slot the extra graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If its the limit of your cash, I'd recommend dropping the 6000+ to something much lower, and making up for it with a stronger card. Will definitely be worth it. Not really a lot of value (or even performance) in 7600GS Sli to be honest.

It would also not cost much more, maybe even only a few euro, to get a better psu, not output wise by the way, but a good reliable brand.

Maybe i didn't think my buy properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Maybe.

I wouldn't even use a NorthQ as a temporary "stand-in" PSU, they are utter crap. Any reason you want to go with an AM2 build?

• Advertisement

AMD fanboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

how much is that build on komplett?

All of it.

AMD fanboy

Really? Any reason? I'm very much a fan of AMD, but why should you not get a better rig because they couldn't get their thumbs outta their asses. Barcelona so far at 1.6/1.8GHz and not looking too impressive.

Also, you can save big by going to hardwareversand.de. Take a bit longer but worth it.

Your Komplett build:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2...................€ 199.95
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI..........................€ 166.00

Your build on Hardwareversand.de:
    AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ AM2 Sockel AM2.........................€ 205.48
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe nForce 590 SLI..........................€ 134.07

Better build from HV:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Box 4096Kb.................................€ 155.63
    ASUS P5N-E SLI, Sockel 775 nForce 650SLI, ATX...............€ 97.21

Saving of €114 and slightly lower performance at stock, but room for overclocking here.

Balls, i've put my order through pre-posting this thread. Would I have room for overclocking with the current setup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Step 1 - Cancel calling Komplett a pack of rip off bastards.

Step 2 - Go to www.hardwareversand.de

Step 3 - Feel your pants grow tighter at the sight of great prices

Step 4 - Order E6420 and a P35 board, the IP35 or the DDR3 Enabled Gigabyte one for €122 (or something in the €120's)

Step 5 - Play the Waiting game.

:D

How long is Step 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What was the point in asking opinions when youd already ordered a mediocre rig?

Okay how about if i cancel the Komplett order and go for this instead.

AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ AM2"tray" 2x1024kB, Sockel AM2 - 156,50 €

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe, S.AM2 NVIDIA Nforce590 SLI, ATX,WLAN - 134,07 €

Zalman CNPS9500 LED Sockel 478/775/754/939/940 - 37,06 €

2048MB DDR2 Corsair TwinX XMS2 CL 5, PC6400/800 - 86,59 €

Aerocool Aeroengine Jr.Silber ohne Netzteil - 51,47 €

ASUS GF-8800GTS T2xD,320MB ,NVIDIA 8800GTS, PCI-Express - 258,98 €

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 16MB 7200 , ST3320620A - 66,39 €

LG GDR-8164B Retail schwarz 16xDVD,48xCD - 17,08 €

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE - 32,01 €

D-Link DGE-528T Gigabit TP Adapter, PCI 32-B - 10,01 €

MS Windows XP Prof. Englisch SB-Version in Englisch - 119,32 €

Sum: 969,48 €

with HV: Step 5 is 3-4 days for bank transfer to go thru, then another few days for delivery.

No, the Athlons seem to hit a wall at around 3.2GHz. I'm not sure why they released it, maybe to show ppl "this is as far as this architecture goes", I don't know. I think some people have got up to 3.4GHz, but when you consider the %OCs on core2duos, its pretty disappointing.

Also, Demon he said he wants an SLI mobo. I would agree with the P35 choice tho and get a new GFX card if your budget allows.

Also ditch XP.

Looking at a lot of your initial choices, the words "dead end" spring to mind. Don't fence yourself in by buying into redundancy, allow some room to expand and although I hate the term "futureproof" in computing, a different setup will help you in the long run.

Seriously, aside from "futureproof", "fanboy" is a term that grinds my gears. You are a consumer and should buy the best product available to your budget and needs. Did some guy from AMD rescue your cat out of a tree or something??

The 6000+ is good, but a 6000+/570 system is a dead-end (see above) and when you HAVE to sell on and move to the next platform, it will be worth very little. If you don't need SLI now, I would really recommend moving to a core2duo/p35 system as recommended by demon.

What would you recommend with 1k budget?

ALSO, there are much better cases available. Aerocools seem to focus on cheap aesthetics and funny "turbine" design, but offer little in the way of quality cases.

*cough" Lian Li, Antec, etc. *cough*

Arghhh, I'm just about to go to sleep, my laptop is getting a bit warm on the sheets here (propped up on a book, dont worry).

I'll do somethin tmw, Im sure one of the night owls here can have a go.

Just list the components you need (CPU, PSU, etc.), what you will be using it for and any other requirements (cool and quiet, big neon lights, etc.)

I need all components.
    No peripherals needed.
    250gig hard-drive is suffficient.
    Mostly gaming.
    XP pro, not liking that vista at all.
    Want to not worry about running alot of programs at once, WM Player, mulitple poker tabes, internet, games all at once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This spec should do you grand. And just over 1k

specslc6.jpg

:eek:

You can get a brilliant pc for €1,000 if you don't need a monitor :eek:

Try this:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6V8kPGH7Qv-xm-/3/basket.jsp

That's €932 without a case/heatsink. You have stock heatsink there though.

And then, go to www.caseking.de and order the Lian Li PC-7B Plus II for €83.

I'm a n00b so, don't just take my advice. But seriously, go Core2Duo.

Nice spec Anti...I still think you shoud give Vista a go, if you have to fork out for an operating system. Its not as bad as people make out and driver support is getting there, you will have to switch at some point to make use of DirectX10.

Won't let me edit the post above, sorry for that. HWV don't like links to basket, that link will now bring you the basket that I chose, weird.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Box 4096Kb, LGA775, 64bit

ATX-Netzteil Corsair 620W 620 Watt

Samsung SH-S183L bare schwarz (DVD-RW)

XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB DDR3, PCI-Express

Samsung HD321KJ 320GB Serial ATA-II, 7200 UPM, 16MB

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express

2048MB DDR2 Corsair TwinX XMS2 CL 5, PC6400/800

All for €932. What do people think?

Even better, but he needs an OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

wow look at the saving from hardwareversand ! You were able to add in a 640mb gts, a dvd rw and a bigger Hdd, for almost 100€ less. But how is the shipping with these guys?

I'm currently waiting for mine, ordered last monday, sent the bank transfer last wednesday, they received the money on monday, had to change PSU yesterday and they shipped it yesterday. Should be here by monday/tuesday.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I'm currently waiting for mine, ordered last monday, sent the bank transfer last wednesday, they received the money on monday, had to change PSU yesterday and they shipped it yesterday. Should be here by monday/tuesday.
    You didn't happen to change to the Corsair HX PSU which I recommended, did you?

:p

Ha! Yeah, I originally had the Seasonic S12 500W, but they said its been discontinued on their site, and I had heard (ahem) and been reading great things about the corsair, so I made the switch.

• Advertisement

It's ok, I'll make out the bill to a Mr Dirk Voodoo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement