Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

base href ?

Options
  • 21-06-2007 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

Is the use of the BASE HREF= tag on a site used to draw content from another site on a different domain? For example, if I wanted a site with a www.this site.eu as the url, would specifying a <base href="www.othersite.tld" as the base ref draw all content from the other site making it in effect a clone?

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dont use the base tag myself. But unless you owned the other site yourself I cant see them being happy with you using their bandwidth up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Winters wrote:
    I dont use the base tag myself. But unless you owned the other site yourself I cant see them being happy with you using their bandwidth up.
    I am writing a parser to distinguish parked and aliased webpages/websites. As part of the work, I spidered all identified .eu websites. So there are about 1.4M webpages to process. Right now it is down to about 667K sites that are active out of about 1.8M resolving domains (the db has about 2.13M .eu domains tracked).

The base href thing is useful as an indicator. Though I had forgotten the wonderful ways in which people can mangle HTML and meta data - especially meta data. :) I think some of these people really just want to break search engine spiders.

I was going to apply the parser to Irish websites to provide some decent stats on title/meta data usage as well.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement