Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how often should I run a car to prevent the battery going dead

Options
  • 21-06-2007 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I have a peugeot 206 and recently the battery went dead through lack of use. i got it jump started but someone said you should run it for 10 mins every 2 to 3 days, is this excessive, would once a week be enough?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Half hour a week should be enough. Car should be driven too not just left engine running.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

10 minutes of running is not enough - it probably only just covers the charge lost by actually starting the car. Half an hour would be much more beneficial, and while it might be an idea to take it for a run, it's fine if that's not possible, and prefereable not to if it's dark and you need to use lights, window heaters, wipers etc., or if you're just going to sit in traffic. You should be able to leave it for two weeks easily without it going dead. If you're going to leave it for a long time without using it, disconnect the battery and it shouldn't go down.

Advertisement