Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what car to buy

Options
  • 21-06-2007 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭

hi everyone bit of advice needed.have been driving on a provisional license 4 a year as a named driver on me dads car(almera).I will be 25 in december. I will be starting a new job in a few weeks and i need my own car.I will be doing 80km five days a week so i reckon no more than 500km when i add in some over the weekends.I will be spending about 10,000 on a car so can anyone give me advice should i go for petrol or diesel and what wud be a good economical car to purchase.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not really worth getting a diesel for that kind of mileage I reckon.

You have an enormous choice.

p.s. Do your test asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

25 and on a provisional. Well it will cost roughly €1500 for a 1.4 litre maybe a little more because it's your first policy.

Tbh your going to have to give us more info. Do you want someyhing you can drive into the ground & not care if it falls to peices? Do you want something sporty? Etc.

If it's just to go A to B then I'd go with Henry and get a diesel, cheaper to run and if it's a non turbo you may get cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Strictly speaking, at around 16,ooo miles a year diesel will not save you much money. But, you may just prefer to drive a diesel, like me.

more info required though, do you need four doors and four seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

layke wrote:
    25 and on a provisional. Well it will cost roughly €1500 for a 1.4 litre maybe a little more because it's your first policy.

Tbh your going to have to give us more info. Do you want someyhing you can drive into the ground & not care if it falls to peices? Do you want something sporty? Etc.

If it's just to go A to B then I'd go with Henry and get a diesel, cheaper to run and if it's a non turbo you may get cheaper insurance.

im not too fussy with wot i buy as long as it gets me from a to b , some thing realiable .havin something that looks good would be a bonus.i have applied for the test.as i say spending around the €10000 mark.was thinking about focus/golf/corolla not really sure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

layke wrote:

im not too fussy with wot i buy as long as it gets me from a to b , some thing realiable .havin something that looks good would be a bonus.i have applied for the test.as i say spending around the €10000 mark.was thinking about focus/golf/corolla not really sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

layke wrote:

Don't worry OP, having a FDL doesn't make a difference, I'm 22, FDL, and it costs the same to insure a 1.4L small car.

Oh and as for your question, for 10000, you can get a really nice BMW series 5 or an Audi.

However if you're looking for a little less "conspicuous" car, I'd personally suggest a Toyota Avensis or Corolla, if you want something more sporty, Honda Civic.

Advertisement