Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes big towering puffy white cumulus here already, let the sun get to work.

Hopefully a few TS's later. But again probably just west of the east coast.

We had a short but heavyish shower from that train about a half hour ago.
    It exited north east of here and we were just on the edge of it.
    Plenty cb's all around and an anvil in the shower but no thunder (I suspect it's too early)

It's always a good sign to see sharp straight edges to the clouds with intense white and dark grey edges together.

lots of sferics now from Galway southeastwards to Tipperary

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

Yes radar has begun to look very active across the country.

Wind is SW and a few storms are tracking towards Dublin.

Only 1pm going to be an interesting 5 hours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Krusty

Seriously heavy rain and 5 claps of thunder here in Shannon around 5 mins ago. All roads are rivers now!
    Love this weather :)

• Advertisement

Humongous drops of rain there, MASSIVE

thought they were massive hail but not quite

Torrential rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yep WC,short lived but drops where massive.Havin seen drops that big for awhile.

Now a bit of Thunder to my west

We got one flash and one rumble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

There were lotsa puffy white cumulus around at lunch time but no anvils.

Just got very dark here in Drogheda a little while ago and just had a massive hail shower with one rumble.

When you see hail is a good sign for lightning.Meaning cloud tops are cold with alot of ice and ice is the key ingredient for auld sparky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Plenty of thunder going on here, not a drop of rain yet, but the black clouds are rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Stunning-looking clouds around but not one shower has hit here yet, I see a big heavy one to my sw. 20c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭squonk

Few drops here and lots of cloud but nothing major yet. Looiks like the thunderstorm activity is on the way across to us though. Then again, i tcould spark off anywerhe really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Related to that hail shower in Drogheda, there was a fecking avalanche of rain about 10 minutes ago. The rate of rain completely beat anything I've ever seen.

There were 2 foodbowls which were empty when I went outside to check the lightning (bad mistake btw). They were overflowing when I managed to get back from the roof eaves which offered shelter (before the wind direction changed:()

There was only hail at the very height of the storm, for a few seconds and mixed in with the rain, but they were about 7 mm in diameter.

That will be a lesson to me, never go outside to check lightning in slippers:D Thankfully the extreme rate of rain only lasted for a bit less than a minute. It's amazing to see ground water collect so quickly on previously bone-dry ground.

Looks to be serious stuf going on around the Roscommon direction at the moment! Let's hope it heads this way! Anyone around there? Look like a good show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Yes some very intense radar echoes in the midlands atm, there has to be someone living in those areas on boards...

All the storms seem to be focused over Connacht and the wind is southerly so probably not going to make it to Leinster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ok wahts going on, beautifuall warm sunny day here now at last however there is thunder outside and very few clouds! It doesnt make much sense! the Sky is almost solid blue and there are more reasonablely loud rumbles

Huge CB with Thunderstorm passing to my Northwest

Hearing reports of a thunderstorm w2ith 3-4 claps around the Finglas area now. Thought I heard some muffled claps out here but can't be sure if they're thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Pi**ing rain here in Swords, loud thunder to be heard, haven't seen any flashes though.

Elessar wrote:
    Pi**ing rain here in Swords, loud thunder to be heard, haven't seen any flashes though.

I can see the base to the top of that cloud from here and honestly i havent seen a taller cloud in my life! It's flippin massive!

think I'm seeing the swords storm here alrith to my southwest. Look like it's on it's way.

Yeah the southern edge of it looks shocking! It's on it's way. Getting some rumbgles from it. Wish the kids and the builders around the estate would take it handy for a bit!

Lovely day here in forcefield alley again.CBs west and east,see that CB to my west WC is talking about.Still lots of time for something to get going over the mountains and head this way.
    Also first time i have seen a CB maturing over the sea to date.
    Good for the future.sea surface temps(SSTs) are on the way up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yes that cell to my northwest is growing big time and quickly. Flash just now took out TV for 2 mins. I watched it grow from nothing. Incredible to watch. Flashes more frequent now!

Power went out for 5 minutes here. Lashing rain... few heavy claps so far. Wow!!! Biblical!

I can feel the bloody rumbles!! It must be some storm.

Most impressive thunder I've heard for a while. Seems to be lightening off now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Has been dramatic weather today, sunshine then wallop, 3ft of rain in 2.4secs.

Sunshine, then a hailstorm, (big as pigs you know).

Cloudscape is stunning from my perch here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement