Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Since about half 2 its been raining and on and off Thunder. At about 2:45 till 3 here in Blanchardstown, had a massive storm. I've personally never seen such big hail stones. The roads we're flooded. Plenty of lightning and thunder. I recorded the lot too. Was quite intense.

EDIT: I have a few images of the water on the ground in the garden.

imgp1099fo5.th.jpg

imgp1101ep0.th.jpg

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Video recorded?

Yes 640x480 30FPS - Digital camera.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

linky?

ongoing loud thunder here-storm is about 2 miles west

• Advertisement

Yup it is.. there was worse I just couldnt get pictures I was drowned taking them 2 pics!! The front was flooded to bits too and its tarmac'd !!

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jaysus :eek: ...is that your lawn under that water HungryJoey??

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Tristrame wrote:
    ongoing loud thunder here-storm is about 2 miles west

where are u?

Some towering CBs looking north from Drogheda right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

We have thunder now in Greystones!

Its still quite bright but darker clouds are on their way in over the hills

I'll upload that video for you's now if you's would like. Its recorded size is 300mb, I'm converting it now so it'll be way smaller.

You want ? Its nothign amazing like jsut a camera out an open window few rumbles of thunder etc..

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Solid downpour in the sunshine in P'Laoise...

Clouds look like they could spawn whirlwinds too, kinda rotating round slowly.

Some drier air is coming into the back of the LP circulation killing the showers now to my north,convergence seems dead now.Strange though,thought the lapse rates for the east where to remain in the very unstable side most of the day and evening.

Yeah hungry joey attach your vid to here.

Ok I will.. Its just converting to a smaller size - Easier to download/upload.

Have it for you's soon although its not much at all.

Hj

sirpsycho wrote:
    where are u?

Some towering CBs looking north from Drogheda right now.
    arklow

THE rumbles are continous but low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Meanwhile out in Meath the earlier overcast skies cleared about an hour ago and warm sunshine has followed. With the clearance I can now see distant cb's, the air is very clean and there was some nice panoramas when I was out in the fields about 15mins ago. Here are just a few pics:
    P1010004 ().JPG

P1010007 ().JPG

P1010016 ().JPG

P1010021 ().JPG

Just had a very heavy thunder shower here in Carlow town, still going here.....STILL no thunder or lightening!

Croppy-they're not thunder showers unless they contain thunder!

You keep calling ordinary showers thunder showers.
    You should stop doing that, cause you are confusing people :D

Tristrame wrote:
    Croppy-they're not thunder showers unless they contain thunder!

You keep calling ordinary showers thunder showers.
    You should stop doing that, cause you are confusing people :D

My apologies.....I always thought an extremely heavy shower went by 'thundery shower', you live and learn eh ;)

My apologies.....I always thought an extremely heavy shower went by 'thundery shower', you live and learn eh ;)
    Just call it a downpour/torrential downpour;) Am I right in thinking that there is not always heavy rain accompanying thunderstorms? I know its the exception but I do remember getting a good bit of lightning once and not a drop of rain fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

darkman2 wrote:
    ERM......I know it happened but you must have your dates mixed up:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00219850715.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1985/Rrea00119850715.gif

Those charts definately would not produce large thunderstorms and Tristame, if it is the correct date, there is no way temperatures were even in the high teens never mind the high twenties:eek: I think the dates are mixed up. It must have been a different date.:rolleyes:

Found an old thread on this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=296970

• Advertisement

Bare with me,im still getting use to my new Fathers day camera phone:D

These are take earlier.Second one id say is over you Tristrame looking south around lunchtime when you had a rumble or two.

Also if anyones interested there does appear to have been a good bit of flooding in and around Dublin:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0622/traffic.html There's another thread about this.

Good shots Snowbie!! They're very clear, must be a good camera phone

LoL I see met.ie has updated its forecast for today to take account of the floods in dublin...That says 1526 but it only went upin the last hour that I saw.

This mornings forecast was a bit tame given what occured.

Snowbie wrote:
    Bare with me,im still getting use to my new Fathers day camera phone:D

These are take earlier.Second one id say is over you Tristrame looking south around lunchtime when you had a rumble or two.
    Good clear pics snowbie. How do you get the attached pics to be cordoned off in a box like that, when I attach them they aren't organised as well?

rc28 wrote:
    Just call it a downpour/torrential downpour;) Am I right in thinking that there is not always heavy rain accompanying thunderstorms? I know its the exception but I do remember getting a good bit of lightning once and not a drop of rain fell.
    Yep rc,that can happen,sometimes the bay of biscay storms are totally electricfied without rain.Very rarely here though,the continent be the place to see it mostly.

Another thing that can happen is when rain falls it can also evaporate before hitting the ground.This is called virga.

rc28 wrote:
    Good clear pics snowbie. How do you get the attached pics to be cordoned off in a box like that, when I attach them they aren't organised as well?
    Have a photo editor that i can use to crop the pic.It came with the phone(software)

Lightning at last over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Of course the downpours break through the barriers on the way back from getting my hair cut so i end up absolutely soaked!!\

Roads turned to rivers in like 2 minutes!

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Have a photo editor that i can use to crop the pic.It came with the phone(software)
    I'm talking about when actually adding your file to boards, how do you get them organised into the "attached files" box that was in your post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement