Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

nemonoid wrote:
    I'm out in Saggart and it would have been facing pretty much towards the Dunshauglin/Navan direction but not sure how far away it was!

--
    nem
    Yup, must have been it as I'm near dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

There seems to be more TS activity heading towards me now from the SW, I can hear distant rumbles. The churned up sky evened out and became a very heavy, dark blue.....plenty of pics to follow later.

EDIT: Eeekk....really loud and long rumble right over head! Me signing off!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Mothmans peak rain rate peaking at 166mm/hr! 3 seperate cells near arklow too. Thunder ongoing

Just heard more thunder here from a potent looking shower to my south.

darkman2 wrote:
    Thats a really big cell now in the southeast of the country. Its not moving towards us but will it develope towards us?
    It sure was!
    I'm at my brothers right now-my phoneline and broadband is down.

The lightning was coming from two separate cells at the same time-very loud and constant.
    Great big long streaks and forks from cloud to cloud and direct straight line strikes to the ground with massive crashes of thunder.
    Then a third cell appeared to the south so three storms going at the one time.
    This was happening for over an hour.
    We were mostly in the dry slot between the three of them and when one of them went diretly over head, the rain was only in short bursts with us.
    But you could see the long black downpours maybe about 2 miles wide each just missing us by about a half mile or so.

This was a truly amazing display! It was actually exactly similar to miami last week except that one went on all night as opposed to maybe 90 mins or so here.
    Definitely the best storms in ages here today!

Thanks to spankeh for posting the reports for me and mothman says hi! he had an incredible rain rate up there at one stage of 166mm/hr in one of the storms-obviously directly underneath one of those dark black mile wide downpours.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote:
    Just heard more thunder here from a potent looking shower to my south.
    No more thunder since then. I think I'm jinxing them somehow as whenever I hear the thunder inside I go outside to have a better listen and as soon as I'm out in the field(better vantage point) it is completely silent again:rolleyes:

Did you see the meteocentre lightning detector for the east and south east from 2 hrs ago.
    It's plastered with green x's!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Just back from a walk with the wife and there were a few rumbles of thunder and managed to catch one fork of lightning out to my north. The sky was really dark and scary looking, just started lashing down as we got in the door.

Took a few pics on the camera phone, this one in particular looks rather threatening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Its gone very dark here again in sth dub. Hopefully thats some of the stuff from killkenny or carlow. :p Downpour of rain now, but no thunder or flashes. :\

Another thunderstorm here now (3 miles west of Arklow)

Mothman just texted that he is hearing thunder in ashford again too.
    This is turning out to be some day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Looks like I've got myself one of snowbie's forcefields....everything's either going N or S of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wertz wrote:
    Looks like I've got myself one of snowbie's forcefields....everything's either going N or S of me...
    Hopefully something will penetrate it now to my west.Although i can see clear blue behind it suggesting nada is falling from it:rolleyes:
    No flashes to be seen or rumbles to be heard.:(

Hmm interesting.Im under the white clear slot there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thunder just to the north of me here.
    Most of the heavy stuff seems to be just north or south of me agghh!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Lovely outline of a CB and im underneath it.Piddling down the road about a mile south of me.Can see the rain from here.Nothing else really to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Spankeh wrote:
    Mothmans peak rain rate peaking at 166mm/hr! 3 seperate cells near arklow too. Thunder ongoing

166!! jebus fupping heck!!

I can only imagine what that looks like!!, had rain here around 90mm/hr a couple of weeks ago and it was world ending stuff, but 166mm/hr!!, that must have been something else to see!

I was in Ashford earlier and it was pouring down but the roads here were barely wet, very localised stuff, send some of yer Thunderstorms up the road Mothman!
    My max rain rate today was 4.6mm/hr!

Sky's getting pretty dark here now, but doesnt look anything like as dark as the heavy stuff a few weeks ago.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm currently recording some timelapse footage of a cell to the north of me. It's not a very potent call, looks to be a CB weakening and then back building. Lighting is quite good for it at the moment. I hope to get it up here tonight. It's high definition but I will try get a nice small file size, if possible.

Here is looking out from Howth across the bay and towards the Wicklow coastline.No lightning from it but some severe downpour over the sea.

Some of the pics aint Trogdor quality as i was in the car as it was lashing up there.

I'm recording another timelapse. This is gonna be a great one. I'm in D13 and recording to my north/northeast. Snowbie, if you look in that direction, you'll know exactly what I mean!!!

After I signed off earlier we had another couple of flashes, and a few more loud rumbles over head. I was expecting more to be honest from the built up that I seen. There was a heavy shower accompanied with that short TS. That was at approx. 5pm

At 7pm there was another short, sharp TS, again accompanied with a heavy downpour, which was just to the North of me.

Heres a few pics of the skys around me from approx. 4pm to 7pm, most of them are looking to the SW as thats where the TS activity was approaching from:

• Advertisement

And a couple more:

highdef wrote:
    I'm recording another timelapse. This is gonna be a great one. I'm in D13 and recording to my north/northeast. Snowbie, if you look in that direction, you'll know exactly what I mean!!!
    Yeah hd seen that,wicked cloud formations,with the sunshine too they look class.Heard just one faint rumble earlier and that over the sea but saw some exceptional skies,one must be grateful at least for that.

Rather chaotic skies there alright!!!

This pic shows the type of cloud that was quite common today:
    P1010632().JPG
    This evening there were some messed up skies but my camera does't show it very well:
    P10106349().JPG
    P1010639().JPG
    P1010641 (Large).JPG

I dont think you realise rc,but you have caught a shelf cloud in your last 3 pics and its prominent in the last two.Not a specacular shelf but its there.
    Its caused by downdrafts from a CB.Not rare but one of the natural phonomenon caused by thunderclouds.

Snowbie wrote:
    I dont think you realise rc,but you have caught a shelf cloud in your last 3 pics and its prominent in the last two.Not a specacular shelf but its there.
    Its caused by downdrafts from a CB.Not rare but one of the natural phonomenon caused by thunderclouds.
    Yes I had a feeling it was a small shelf cloud but didn't want to say in case I was completely wrong;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Nothing exciting here today, a few small cumulus over the peaks:rolleyes: , but i'm not expecting much here. Can't wait to get up to the alps though:D
    Great capture rc. Looks like you had an interesting day overthere today. Had a report of a thunderstorm in Greystones earlier, although i'm sure no-ones interested now that the fireworks are over;) :p
    Snowbie wrote:
    pics aint Trogdor quality
    Lol:D :D , i like it. I'm the benchmark am i?:D :D

Yup,your the resident photographer,your putting us all to shame:D

I got a whopping 0.8mm of rain with a 6mm/hr max rain rate today,woot!:o
    while the rest of the country is flooded again as you moreorless read with a lot of sparks thrown in to add to my despair.:(

Enjoy the alps,great sceneary up there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Snowbie wrote:

Dont tornados form from those?

• Advertisement

No that be a wall cloud your thinking of.This is where you get a lot of rotation in these lads in supercells or multicells and is where the base of the cloud lowers.

Shelf are assocciated with downdrafts.It is the gust of wind felt of an approaching storm.Cold air is dragged down hitting the warmer layer and which warm is forced up and condenses forming a typical odd looking shape of a shelf.

It can be safe to say if you see a real prominent shelf cloud,you be in the hail,heavy rain sort of area,and if you observe a wall cloud or part of a cloud distictively lowering,run.
    Both tend to be on opposite sides of a supercell but not always if a sister cell is spawned from the downdrafts of a parent cloud,you could have them side by side.But only in extreme circumstance like the plains of the US.Follow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement