Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Southern reg car in Belfast

Options
  • 21-06-2007 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

I dont know is this the right forum or not but I must go to Belfast for a night soon and I was wondering would my CE reg car be safe in an overnight car park in the city center? Maybe its a ridicilous question but I havent been there before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine yes, just avoid parking in areas with red and blue kerbs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

LOL, nice reply, sad but true though. Watch the kerbs and lamposts. If it's in a reputable car park it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

OK thanks lads, I'll keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Anywhere around the city centre should be fine. It's not exactly Beirut anymore. I had my southern reg car up there for 3 weeks last year. Filled her up on Sandy Row surrounded by blue, white and red bunting, maybe I was lucky but nobody payed any attention.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Shud not be a problem, had mine up there for six months, lived in a mixed spot where an orange parade passed down right beside my car and no one took any notice!
    Even worked in a village which was decorated for the July 12th, again no one took any heed of it or me!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Well i'm working with a policeman from NI and he says it's a lot safer now.

For example; if you walked into the wrong sort of pub round there, people would be more likely to just to tell you to piss off rather then take you out back and kneecap you.

He also said the City Centre is usually fine. That said the people up there are more used to seeing strangers now that tourests come up to see the murals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I lived in East Belfast (Cregagh Road) for a few months and despite all the murals, it was a very safe area, people were friendly and no damage ever happened to my TN car.

Once left it unlocked on Sandy Row though and although nothing happened, I was worried sick until I got back to it.

micmclo wrote:
    Once left it unlocked on Sandy Row though and although nothing happened, I was worried sick until I got back to it.
    Delightful spot, isn't it. I might be comfortable filling the car up, but I wouldn't buy a house there. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was in Belfast last weekend. and left the car in a car park on Kent St.
    It was grand.
    Although there was a big police presence as there was a March going by just as I arrived.

kinda freaked me out at the start but all was grand

mik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I tend to park in the car park at the Great Victoria Train/bus station, beside the Europa, if I'm staying over nite.
    I usually park it with the back in against the wall, so it's a white front reg I'm showing, and looks like a NI reg for casual passer bys.

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote:
    I usually park it with the back in against the wall, so it's a white front reg I'm showing, and looks like a NI reg for casual passer bys.
    Clever, but I don't really think it's an issue. Then again, better safe than sorry. Good parking spot btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I wouldn't worry about it.

If something happens to your car, it's probably just bad luck and nothing to do with the numberplate. Belfast has crime like everywhere else but in most parts of the city street parking is safe.

ballooba wrote:
    Clever, but I don't really think it's an issue. Then again, better safe than sorry. Good parking spot btw.
    My dad was encouraged to leave Larne town at the start of the troubles, can't blame me for being paranoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Thanks lads, feel more comfortable about it now.

Just a last hint, you might want to think twice about the celtic top, and the tri color car seats :-)

Othe than that it's the typical big town/city problems. and watch out for the roadworks at the end of the M1 (belfast end)

Yeah, the one way system despite what locals may think is a bit confusing and the road works on the M1 are a bit dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

I would be more worried about leaving a car overnight in a Dublin car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Sorry not trying to Hijack this thread, but along the same lines, I'm going to be working up in Derry (springtown to be exact) on and off for a few months, is it safe up there for a D reg car?
    Has anyone any experience with Derry at all? Is it a nice place?
    thanks,
    Vic

Sorry OP. wont hijack any more:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ugh... Victor with his "hijack" puns, whether he knows it or not :D

I drive both regs up here, and have never had a problem. Apart from the PSNI getting annoyed about me leaving a ZV-reg Triumph parked for a month, and telling me that I should re-reg it... a week later, Customs & Excise were threatening me in Dublin for driving a yellow reg Merc.

It's coming up to the 12th (July) and you tend to get nutters coming in from Scotland, etc, and getting drunk-and-thuggery. Covered car park would be totally fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Safe enough to park southern reg cars below Lisburn road (backing onto the Village, a loyalist area) so I'm sure a car park will be fine OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement