Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best reason to support a specific Premiership team?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah I think most people who support prem teams now started supporting when they were kids, like i think i started supporting teh toon when i was a kid because they were underdogs and they played good football, i think i also liked to not 'go with the flow' and become a Man u/Liverpool fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

CiaranC wrote:
    If you exclusively support a British club you are less Irish (in a footballing sense). Its quite simple. There isnt any debate.

What a load of horse **** that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CiaranC wrote:
    Nice mind-trick there. If you exclusively support a British club you are less Irish (in a footballing sense). Its quite simple. There isnt any debate.

Don't go down that road. The logical conclusion is that exclusively supporting any foreign game other than native sport is un-Irish, TBH.

p.s the Sunderland thing is OK if people have a soft spot for them but for grown people to start supporting them because of RK is a bit sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

stovelid wrote:
    Don't go down that road. The logical conclusion is that exclusively supporting any foreign game other than native sport is un-Irish, TBH.
    What has native sports got to do with anything? I said in a footballing sense.

Its quite simple. If you, as a supporter, give your time, money and interest to a British club, you are contributing to British football, not Irish football. You are of less value to the game here than a League Of Ireland supporter.

Easy, no argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

CiaranC wrote:
    If you exclusively support a British club you are less Irish (in a footballing sense). Its quite simple. There isnt any debate
    CiaranC wrote:
    You are of less value to the game here than a League Of Ireland supporter.

Easy, no argument.

Those are two totally different statements. While i disagree with the first one, the second one is obviously true. If you spend money on Prem clubs only and you give nothing to Irish football then you are no help at all to Irish club's but that doesn't make you less Irish, in any sense. I like to see Cork City do well even though I don't go to their games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I started supporting Aston Villa at a time when Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend, Steve Staunton and of course GOD (aka Paul McGrath) were all playing with them.

At the same time I had never seen an EL match I probably thought the Irish teams played in some sunday league as the only Soccer I saw on the TV at the time was the English league and there was and still is no EL team in Carlow. If there was a EL team in Carlow I'm sure I would have been supporting them also, I don't think you have to support only one team i.e. you can support a local team in the EL and what ever team you like also.

One thing that annoys me though is when people ask who you support and I say Villa they laugh and say why then I give my reason and ask why they support their team (which usually is 1 of the top 4) and they say ah I can't remember i.e. they have won loads in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I have no issue with people supporting English clubs.

But what annoys me is people shouting abuse / cheering for the opposition when players from the clubs they support are playing for England.

Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

CiaranC wrote:
    What has native sports got to do with anything? I said in a footballing sense.

Its quite simple. If you, as a supporter, give your time, money and interest to a British club, you are contributing to British football, not Irish football. You are of less value to the game here than a League Of Ireland supporter.

Easy, no argument.

Does supporting a League of Ireland team make you more Irish than an Irish citizen who supports a British/European team?

Is the Fai and Irish manager contributing to British Footbally by playing players that do not play in the ILeague of ireland ? Are the Irish internationals that ply their trade in the British leagues less Irish for doing so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i started to support sheffield wednesday in 1989/1990, the year they got relegated.
    i only started to support them cus i liked the name, simple as that. for years i was too young and had no money to travel to sheffield to watch them play.but last year i did and even they lost it was one of the best experiences of my life.
    i felt at home when i got to hillborough.

i used to go to Cork city a lot but stopped going through a mixture of not having the time and generally finding it boring. i dont think there were ever more than 2 goals scored in a city match i went to.
    now i live in galway and i sometimes go to united, but i only do it to watch live football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have no issue with people supporting English clubs.

But what annoys me is people shouting abuse / cheering for the opposition when players from the clubs they support are playing for England.

Hypocrisy.

I support Arsenal, so am I allowed to shout abuse at England when they play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I do understand that some people may no be located anywhere near on eL club to develop any sort of attachment but if you're from Dublin or in the parts of commuter-belt Leinster region there is no excuse for not getting of your arse and going to eL matches... if you don't support an Irish team or don't support or contribute in any manner to our domestic league you have absolutely no right whatsoever to complain about the Irish national team or call yourself an Irish football ''supporter''.

Why would someone need an excuse? It's a free country...

For the record, my "excuse for not 'getting off my arse and going to eL matches': I DON'T F*CKING WANT TOO...

Also, no right to complain about national team?? Eh, yes I do - once again, FREE country...

Ahhh, where would the eircom league be without it's pathetic persecution complex?.... Nowhere (ie, a very slight step down from where it is now...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Why not go the whole hog then and support the English national team then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote:
    Considering that all the good Irish players were developed in the English system
    O RLY?

The ignorance of that comment is, simply, astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

gustavo wrote:
    Why not go the whole hog then and support the English national team then?

Because he's Irish?

Seriously, this is retarded. People don't 'support' the Premiership. They are interested in the Premiership and support teams from the Premiership - and they do this because they enjoy doing so. Why should someone have to support the LOI just because it's Irish? Do you support the Bowling League of Ireland? Or the Irish Rowing League? I'd guess not. But you happened to be watching the Olympics and the Irish rowing team were in the final, I'd bet you'd cheer for them. That's just human nature - we cling to some sort of collective consciousness. Does it make you a hypocrite, or 'less Irish'? Of course not.

And besides, the fact is that the vast vast vast vast majority of the Irish national team play in the English leagues and develop in the English leagues - if one was to make a rational judgement on which league to support based on how it would help the Irish national team, the Premiership - or possibly the Championship - would win every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

For example i know for a fact certain people in Manchester and Liverpool, and i'm sure most clubs in England, don't like the idea of "out of towners" following their team.

In Ireland is it ok for someone to follow Cork City if they are from Dublin? Surely it works on the same principle? Just depends on your defination of a locality.

Personally i think people should just support whoever they want for watever reasons they want(except the mancs, obviously :))

Nobody should be under any obligation to follow an irish team just out of some sort of false national pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

seansouth wrote:
    How many of you have sat down with the team manager and asked him wtf is going on with team selection, instead of bitch about it on an internet message board?

What a typical eL w*nker...

It's not in any way your position or place to do this... I'd guess you're secretly despised by many of your Shelbourne player "friends"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GreenHorn wrote:
    What a typical eL w*nker...

It's not in any way your position or place to do this... I'd guess you're secretly despised by many of your Shelbourne player "friends"...
    Please, if you're going to bandy around personal insults, at least have the gumption to back them up with some form of evidence.

Advertisement