Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAL to NTSC or AVI to Mpeg, What's My Priority?

• 21-06-2007 5:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I notice this file is PAL. Does it matter if I just code to Mpeg with a default NTSC setting(I think there's a program out there). Or convert to NTSC manually then to Mpeg.

There might be some other tweaks to the frames or BPS that i'm too new to see, If someone can chime in with advice, that'd be stellar...

Here's the Specs:

Size : 695 mb
    Video Type : Mpeg4
    TV Standard : PAL
    Resolution : 640x272
    Total Bitrate: 830 kbps
    Audio Type : MP3
    Sample Rate : 44,100
    Audio Bitrate: 135 kbps
    Duration : 01:57:07.4

Converting this AVI to Mpeg puts it at about 5.26GB. That's quite a change from about 1GB.

I hope to do this correctly the first time...

Any help is appreciated THX!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

If its for the internet it you might get issues with the frame rate conversion from PAL to NTSC. But it should play reasonably fine, maybe some stutter here and there. Try keeping the frame rate to 25fps if there is a setting that allows this. If you intend to play it back on a television then it must be PAL for PAL tv's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Compendium Guy

Appreciate the info! But I'm in the States and I need to get this done in reverse. Due it is from the EU. Thanks though as I have a better idea what I've got...

CG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Deesy

tell the reason why do you want to do this? its quite strange that "pal2ntsc or avi2mpg". most hw players can play any kind of variations on any kind of tvs. you can try download virtualdub and then change framerate (actually it will be just re-fraiming. so say your movie 1hour with 25 fps = 60 min * 60 sec * 25fps = 90000 frames.
    90k frames /29.97 (ntsc fr) /60 = 50 mins. so your movie will play a little bit faster. then you need squiz audio as well.

for mpeg2 you need set 2mbits rate and resolution say 360x480 and convert it. with 2mbits for 2 hrs you will get about 1.8 gb file

Thanks for the heads up Deesy! I don't want to take a chance that the video and audio will work properly in my stand alone player. DL DVD's are about $20 for 15 and you can blow that out in one evening...

I'm getting expert advice from the boards and it's better to use someone elses smarts than to test my ignorant theories on my wallet. I've got VDubMod to take it apart with and ffmpeggui to convert the audio. I'll let you know how it goes on this thread. Thanks again for the info!

CG

I got Great help at "CD Freaks" board. Thanks for the input here. It looks like it will run smooth through all the conversions. Kudo's to the Smart People...

CG

• Advertisement
Advertisement