Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bored of drivin small cars...

Options
  • 21-06-2007 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Morning folks,

So heres the deal....im getting tired of driving small/average sized cars - you know the usual family cars - ive owned a Focus and Almera
    Im 24, and want something bigger - was thinking of going older, cheaper and spending more on the insurance and tax and loosing not so much on the depreciation. Good iead ???? I dunno, but willing to do it for a bit more ooomph!!

So was thinking of something like a 523i (something like this http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=702102 ....am I right in saying thats the E39 model?)

Basically, i was wondering how that model 5 Series drives - are they tight and sharp, or do they suffer from corner roll and basically clumsy??
    Also, anything to watch out for when buying one, ya know common problems or when certain work should be done etc, etc
    Anyone know what kinda MPG you'd get out of it??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think that might be step too far maybe for a 24 y/o perhaps?

Your fuel, tax, insurance, and serviving costs would all increase very significantly.

5 series cars are fine btw. That one in the ad has most unusual "leather alloys" :D

p.s. Go for something in the 2 litre class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

You cant beat a bit of space and power Curran, but the downside is generally you'll be looking at motors that are, like the BM you posted, hitting 100k+ on the clock. This will mean more maintenace/repairs are generally on the horizon, but a well maintained car (FSH,cars with only 1 or 2 keepers) should
    fit the bill.
    Others to consider would be Merc E class, Alfa 166, Saab 9-5, et al.
    This class of car should throw up a few gems (and a lot of dogs ;) )
    Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

yeah I'm sick of driving small cars too. I'm 27 and on my third 3 series and I'm going to look at a 730i V8 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

I think that might be step too far maybe for a 24 y/o perhaps?

p.s. Go for something in the 2 litre class?

Agreed - check with your insurer before you bother going looking at cars... I couldn't get insured on a GTI until I turned 25, and that's a 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

just get a big motorbike..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Checked with the insurance co. already - and extra 300 quid on top of what i pay already per year on a 1.5 Almera and thats with 2 penalty points...not bad.
    The one i was actually looking at is a 96 with 88k on the clock, and was owned by a mechanic, so it should be a gem, even if its going to cost a few more quid

As for the GTi, insurance co.s dont want to know you - i think i heard someone say only 2 companies in Ireland will insure them - high risk cars also!!

just get a big motorbike..... ;)

Dont tempt me - if only!!!

The missus would kill me if i brought home a bike, if not, it wouldnt take long before id probably do it to myself on the bike - maybe in a few years, when i'd be a bit more mature and wouldnt act the b*ll*x on it :D

An auld Ducatii would be SWEET

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The E39 5 Series is one of, if not the best cars to drive in that class. They are a superbly engineered car and even the latest model doesn't improve on the way the E39 handles, the new one looks odd too !! :D

Just take your time, drive a few, and get a nice specced vehicle !

You can buy all service items spurious, good quality stuff too, and pretty much any decent mechanic can service them !

They do have their share of problems though, airbag lights come on frequently, normally caused by a sensor under the passenger seat. The A/C fails too, this is a resistor fault, there is a modified one and its costs about €100 and is a diy job, in 10 minutes ! The rear aluminium suspension arms wear out and can lead to NCT failure, new ones are available spurious for roughly €70/side. Finally on pre '99 manual transmission cars there is a known gearbox weakness, the 'box jams in second gear and/or grinds. Easiest solution is to get one second hand from a later car.

Try to get a car with NCT & service history !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Curran wrote:

The one i was actually looking at is a 96 with 88k on the clock, and was owned by a mechanic, so it should be a gem, even if its going to cost a few more quid

In the case of all the mechanics I know, and worked with, the last car to get any attention was their own:D

Yeah true true - just like any trades person - go into their house and the partner is giving ot sh*t that they started a job and never finished or have been treathening to do a certain job :rolleyes:

Hopefully, he is one of the minority and looks after his car - looks well taken car of anyways - rarely ever a spec of dirt on it!
    But I suppose he could have a young fella working for him, that he makes cleans it for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Getting back to the big cars, I would be inclined to have a look at what's available in the UK. I bought a lot of cars in auctions in England and NI over the years including a spotless 10 year old high mileage Audi 100 Sport for £500 with very high spec. Sold it privately 2 years later for £600.

Well lads,

I didnt hang about - did some research this morning on the net.
    Went and looked at it and just back - deal done pending some minor work.

So....
    96 523i, with the following mods, 18" alloys, angel eye headlights, 02 M-Tech bumpers front and back, chipped to 226 BHP and one or two other small details.

Have a look.... http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=707084

forrestmotors5Sil912.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Best of luck with it.

226bhp is a lot more than the 170bhp as standard. A 33% increase in a n/a petrol engine.

Your insurer may have an issue with this. You would be very unwise not to mention the mods.

SSSssshhhh - the guy selling it never said it was chipped ;)

Shouldnt have said anything - will have to pay you off to delete your post and then edit my post - :D

Wont be saying a word to the kinda ppl insuring me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

funny how i found this thread, im lokin for a 523i aswell! there a great car. i would be cautious of the chip in it tho. many of them cause ECU problems unless fitted by a pro. and to get it from 170 to 225 would need more than a chippin.
    more than likely that figure of 225 is bulls*it. no chip on the planet can give 55hp

The guy that owns it is a mechanic - said it was chipped, and i said to what and he said to 226 from standard 185, so differing opinions on the standard BHP - not bothered either way - im happy that its over 150 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Best of luck with it

Your insurer may have an issue with this. You would be very unwise not to mention the mods.

ditto. The standard 170 is plenty of power for this car. Would you consider getting the car 'unchipped'?

Best of luck with it, nice motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bjmotors

Curran wrote:
    The guy that owns it is a mechanic - said it was chipped, and i said to what and he said to 226 from standard 185, so differing opinions on the standard BHP - not bothered either way - im happy that its over 150 :D

yeah true. i read that the 523i come with 170 bhp standard so i'd sat there is plenty of pull in them.

Nice car !

I know that garage and that guy knows his stuff, however a 55BHP increase is just not possible via a chip change !

Good luck with it anyway, looks really nice, decent price too !

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

I second hte 5 Series motion. I used to have an E34 520i...nice car.
    I currently drive a Volvo 850 T5, more than ample quick, 225bhp stock, handles extremely well and can be found for a song in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Curran wrote:
    Well lads,

I didnt hang about - did some research this morning on the net.
    Went and looked at it and just back - deal done pending some minor work.

So....
    96 523i, with the following mods, 18" alloys, angel eye headlights, 02 M-Tech bumpers front and back, chipped to 226 BHP and one or two other small details.

Have a look.... http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=707084

forrestmotors5Sil912.jpg

Nice car but does anyone else think that it is a bit on the expensive side for an 11 year old 523i?

Especially compared to these:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=717025
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=680273

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Hiya, looks like a fine car, just one thing about an e39 of that age is to check for signs of a problem known as "nickasil". i have a 97 320i which would have a similar engine to the 5 and it started playing up about 2 - 3 years ago. Normally the warning signs are high oil consumption and a rough idle, eventually the engine will give up.The problem is caused by bad petrol eroding the inside of the engine. It affects cars built from 96-Apr 98. (google nickasil if you'd like to know more)

If anyone says that that only happened in the Uk, dont believe them, there have been cases here as well. BMW replaced a lot of the blocks in the Uk, its no harm to check to see if there was any work of this kind carried out.

That said, there are plenty of 5 series on the road that dont have any signs of this problem.

Have a look at the cooling system as well, head gaskets have been known to go..

Otherwise, nice car. best of luck with your search. The 5 will not disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

That AC Schnitzer version above is a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@OP - 170 BHP was standard. No way can it be chipped to 226BHP. If it has been chipped, don't be a fool. Tell your insurance company
    Mac 3 wrote:
    If anyone says that that only happened in the Uk, dont believe them, there have been cases here as well

You're right - don't believe anyone but have the car tested instead. Having said that, I don't think petrol sold in the Republic ever lead to a Nikasil issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Im 24, drive a focus and am currently trying to source a 2L+ Ford Capri that can be taxed and insured as a classic. It just has to be more fun than any modern car and it looks so much better. Even doing 50mph somehow feels fast when you have unpredictable handling and a 4speed box! :)

Tax is €40, insurance will be something with €300, repairs are cheap and I will still have a Focus diesel for going to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Jeez, I'm 23.... no, as of two hours ago, I'm 24, driving a 1.25 mkII fiesta, and will be looking for a 1.6 festy (or an ST if I'm very lucky), I'm loving the hot hatch right now. Maybe in four or five years time when I've kids, I'll look upwards, but right now it's all about the small car with big BHP.

@ bazz26 - neither of them 2 cars you posted have the look i was looking for - i was thinking of buying a 01 / 02 520, but when i seen this one, i was getting pretty much the same looking car for a fraction of the cost, so thats why i went for that one - even though it maybe a lil overpriced, it was being sold local, i know the car from being around the town and i know ppl who know the mechanic who owned it and said they said he was obsessed with it - cant beat knowing that a car is very well looked after

@ wet-paint - yeah, dont get me wrong hot hatches are great fun to drive and look great, but im sick of having to squeeze people into a 3 dr car, and not having a whole lot of room in the boot after a set of golf clubs are in there, too lazy to take them out after a round, so they stay there all the time!! :rolleyes:

@ unkel - how much of a difference will it make to the insurance quote, do ya reckon, even it its only a few BHP extra and not the 226 that I was told (not that im bothered anyways - 170 is loads)

Wasn't the Nikasil issue mainly down to the sulphur content of the UK fuel, which we dont have here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As the rest have said, that kind of power increase from a N/A engine is not possible with by chipping alone.

I would not consider a chipped car in the first place: many run the engine very rich, and ignore the sensors. Fuel economy goes south, emissions go north as a result.

Unless the car has had an approved chip installed (dunno about BMW, but Mugen is one of the very very few that are ok in Honda), I'd be looking at getting the original put back in.

• Advertisement

How much would an original chip cost? Doubt he still has the original cos he has had the car for over 6 years!
    Will have to have a chat with him again to see what the story is - well i know he served his time as a mech at BMW before he went out on his own - so he should know what hes doing! I hope!!

Advertisement