Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ticket for talking on the phone

Options
  • 21-06-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

So... Approx two weeks ago I get pulled over for talking on my mobile whilst driving (stupid I know but it was early in the morning and I hadn't paired the phone with my bluetooth kit yet!)
    I was on the M50 in heavy traffic too?!
    Guard gets out and writes down my reg, asks to see my licence, etc. and says right so I won't keep you.. Off he goes!
    This morning ticket in the post fine and 2 penalty points :mad:
    Two questions...
    1. He didn't say anything to me that morning that he would be issuing me with a ticket?? Is that normal?
    2. He obviously wrote my registration down wrong and so on the ticket the county is wrong. "ww" on the ticket instead of "kk"?

Where do I stand?

All help appreciated. (Particularly from any guards lurking in the forum!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Go to the post office and pay the fine, you broke the law, doesn't matter how slow the traffic was moving, you were still in control of the vehicle with the engine switched on.

I don't think looking to get off on some technicality when you were clearly in the wrong is going to get you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't know about that craichoe , if the reg is wrong on the ticket he might have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

tuxy wrote:
    I don't know about that craichoe , if the reg is wrong on the ticket he might have a case.

If the reg was wrong, how did he get the ticket in the post? Surley the owner of the incorrect registered car would get the ticket.

To the OP, I think you talking BS, your phone can be setup to automatically pair with the Bluetooth kit, If you don't know how to, why wait until you are driving to pair them? Pay the fine and take the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Boards Motors forum should be renamed to 'Technicalities R' Us'.

Just pay the damn fine and stop using your phone in the car. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You were caught, JEEEEEZ pay the fine live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Go to court - It will most likley be thrown out due to the incorrect licence number

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Go to court - It will most likley be thrown out due to the incorrect licence number

Mik

But he was in the wrong...Take it like a man.

Your honor - Sure I was breaking the law and was caught red handed fair and square.
    But look - the Guard was in a hurry and scribbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

egan007 wrote:
    But he was in the wrong...Take it like a man.

Your honor - Sure I was breaking the law and was caught red handed fair and square.
    But look - the Guard was in a hurry and scribbled.
    The Guard was charging a member of the public with an offence. Scribbling is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

mik_da_man wrote:

Yea... good man Mik.
    Ever think about taking up a career in the legal profession?

Drax wrote:
    Yea... good man Mik.
    Ever think about taking up a career in the legal profession?
    ?? He's right.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Thanks!
    I have seen loads of these being thrown out because of simple mistakes like that
    If it was me I would go to court

Anan1 wrote:
    The Guard was charging a member of the public with an offence. Scribbling is not acceptable.

And Doctors? Their scribbling should not be acceptable?

That's the worst argument I ever heard for anything.... ever.....

egan007 wrote:
    And Doctors? Their scribbling should not be acceptable?

That's the worst argument I ever heard for anything.... ever.....
    Perhaps you could explain to me why you feel it should be acceptable for a Guard to write illegibly when charging a member of the public with an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Wossack

pay the fine, dont pay the fine

go to court, dont go to court

www.flipacoin.net

the amount of these threads is getting ridiculus... can the mods just start firing them into legal?

I don't need to - Clear writing is not a requirement to be a guard.
    You are side stepping the point.

Both the Guard and the OP agree that the OP was in the wrong.
    That's the point.

The ticket could be a typo by someone doing Data entry - as one possible explanation.
    Anyway, the ticket was sent to the Licence holder for an offence the licence holdert comitted. The type car is irrelevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

my bro in-law got a ticket sent to the wrong address (2 doors down) and the judge let him off with it because of this, so a minor technicality may get you off. but there is still no excuse for breaking the law on our already dangerous roads, just pay the fine and dont do it again.

egan007 wrote:
    I don't need to - Clear writing is not a requirement to be a guard.
    You do - a Guard is required to write legibly when charging a member of the public with an offence.
    egan007 wrote:
    You are side stepping the point.

Both the Guard and the OP agree that the OP was in the wrong.
    That's the point.
    That's your point. Duly noted. The OP, however, wants to know where they stand legally.

Anan1 wrote:
    You do - a Guard is required to write legibly when charging a member of the public with an offence.

That's your point. Duly noted. The OP, however, wants to know where they stand legally.

No the OP wants to squirm out of what he's Due.

Tell it like it is marge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Can we set up a forum for the painfully self-righteous and let them pontificate to their heart's content about who's horse is highest?

egan007 wrote:
    No the OP wants to squirm out of what he's Due.

Tell it like it is marge
    With respect, your opinions on the morality of the situation are of no consequence. The OP wants to know whether the case would be thrown out in court, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

If there is a chance of getting away with it - go for it. Its not your fault the Guard was Dyslexic and took a 7/8 Digit number down wrong. . The OP was in traffic - He wasnt speeding through the city while talking on the phone and plucking his eyebrows with the other hand. Its a minor offence - If you can get out of it go for it. .
    Jebas, you'se all make me want to VOMIT (get down of that High Horse)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

peadair 11 wrote:
    The OP was in traffic - He wasnt speeding through the city while talking on the phone and plucking his eyebrows with the other hand. Its a minor offence - If you can get out of it go for it. .
    Jebas, you'se all make me want to VOMIT (get down of that High Horse)
    How do you know this? The OP is hardly going to come on here and say I was doing something dangerous but there was a typo with the documentation how do I get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peadair 11

homah_7ft wrote:
    How do you know this?.

We dont but The OP wanted to here if he could get away with the typo and not if he was right or wrong to drive whilst on his phone. How do we know if any of the threads/posts are true we dont - Take their word for it

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Hold on here... Yes it's dangerous in any kind of traffic, slow or fast moving, but there are far more dangerous things that people do day in, day out. I think there's a good chance it'll get thrown out if you challenge it, and why wouldn't anyone try? It's only human nature. I never have the phone in my hand in the car, use hands free all the time. I don't buy for a second the bit about it being early and not having a chance to pair it up with your phone - you were on the M50, it's hardly the street you live on now is it? Meaning you've been driving for at least a few minutes. It's wrong, and you already knew it was wrong. Getting points and a fine isn't going to deter you from doing it again - it'll only make you hate the Gardaí/the system more, so why not try to get away with it.

/me adds this thread to the list of threads hijacked by the morally perfect and righteous which he now ignores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

I did mention I was in pretty heavy traffic on the M50 at 9.00 in the morning.
    And yes, I do know how to automatically pair my phone with my bluetooth kit but I don't have that set up.
    It's not crime of the century and all the responses that I expected from the usual "mightier than thou" brigade are not helpful in any way.
    I don't mind a fine, but 2 penalty points is frustrating for something so minor, given the circumstances and conditions "at the time".
    My address on my licence was my old address and so he took the new address and then "scribbled" down the reg and was on his way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Surely this is more of a legal issue than a motoring issue. Can it be moved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

industria wrote:
    I did mention I was in pretty heavy traffic on the M50 at 9.00 in the morning.
    And yes, I do know how to automatically pair my phone with my bluetooth kit but I don't have that set up.
    It's not crime of the century and all the responses that I expected from the usual "mightier than thou" brigade are not helpful in any way.
    I don't mind a fine, but 2 penalty points is frustrating for something so minor, given the circumstances and conditions "at the time".
    My address on my licence was my old address and so he took the new address and then "scribbled" down the reg and was on his way!

I stand to be corrected on this, but does it make a distinction in the statutes between using a mobile while in control of a car when the road is busy and when it's quiet?

You have a chance of getting off if you go to court, just as you have a chance of getting four points instead of two. I know what I'd do......

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Your also running the risk of 4 points versus 2 and the maximum fine increasing to €2,000

If it goes to court its double the points and up to 10 times the fine on conviction, a mechanism designed to discourage people from going to court to chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

calsatron wrote:
    Your also running the risk of 4 points versus 2 and the maximum fine increasing to €2,000

If it goes to court its double the points and up to 10 times the fine on conviction, a mechanism designed to discourage people from going to court to chance their arm.

That's EXACTLY why I posted the question on here. Of course I do not want to end up with 4 points and a bigger fine!!
    I just thought another board user might have been in this situation before or a member of an garda siochana/somebody in the legal profession might tell me where I stood with regard to the typo?!
    We all know I was in the wrong so enough said about that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Wossack

I reckon they must have your details correct somewhere otherwise I dont see how you got the notice in the post... for that reason, I wouldnt challenge it

in fact, does it even matter what the reg of the car is for this offence?

Advertisement