Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineering + Architecture

Options
  • 21-06-2007 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I know there were previous threads on this which I've read but just want to ask a few questions about these two.

As regards the Structural Engineering with Architecture degree:
    I know that you can't register with any of the Institutes for Structural Engineering, but are there any post-graduate courses which recognizes you as such. The same really for Architecture, can you go into a course advantageous from the above course.

Also, would people recommend going to DIT to do it or are there any courses within UCD that allow you to do Structural Engineering, or is the Civil Engineering encompassing that.

Is there any long way around doing Architecture as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I never understood why it's called "Structural Engineering with Architecture" since they do the same structural analysis subjects as Civil but the degree is only 3 years so they end up doing less "structural" stuff than Civil students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Civil engineering is structural engineering + that's what it's called in all the universities in Ireland, i think UCD don't want to give the impressions that the 3 year degree qualifies you as a civil engineer.

The Structural Engineering with Architecture degree is the first attempt but UCD to come into line with engineering degrees around Europe where it's generally 3 year degree followed by a 2 year masters before you can resister with whatever institute of engineers you're suited to.

Tbh it's pretty much the same amount of work in the 3+2 system, with some architecture modules probably giving you a broader view, but the degree won't allow you to become an architect, bar going back to college + doing a proper architecture degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Also, would people recommend going to DIT to do it or are there any courses within UCD that allow you to do Structural Engineering, or is the Civil Engineering encompassing that.

Is there any long way around doing Architecture as well?

Oops just noticed the 2nd Q. DIT + UCD are pretty similar in terms of qulaity of a civil eng degree. It's a bit easier to get into, but some people think it's a better degree than the UCD one, but not much to choose between them anyway.

As for architecture the only real lon way around is to do something related to it, then apply as a mature student + get a year off.

Personally if you have your heart completely set on architecture, it might be worth repeating if you don't get it. I repeated to get into physio rather than doing another degree first + its without a doubt the best decision I ever made.

Advertisement