Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems sending E-mail using 3G 3datamodem??

Options
  • 21-06-2007 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have read a few mails here with people saying that they could not send email from their Eircom mail accounts when using the 3datamodem.

I had the same issue. It appears that some of the IP addresses on the 3 network have been blacklisted as spammers (obviously somebody with a virus got this IP previously), and Eircom will not allow such IPs to relay mail through their server.

You can test this out as follows:
    1. Open up the command prompt and type the following (server responses shown in Italics - do not type these):
    telnet mail1.eircom.net 25
    > 220 mail12.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net ESMTP
    helo
    > 250 mail12.svc.cra.dublin.eircom.net
    mail from:<your_email_address>
    > 250 ok
    rcpt to:<any_email_address>
    > 451 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=<your_ip_address&gt;

If you get the message at the bottom with the spamhaus URL, then the IP address that you have been allocated when you signed in has been blacklisted. This is a problem that Three have to sort out.

I have never had this issue when signing in under another ISP, seems to just happen for Three for some reason. Anyone rang them about this?

As a temporary solution I am relaying my SMTP mail through a server in work, but I know that this is probably not an option for most people.
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 markkilpatrick

You can't use eircom smtp server if your not on eircom internet, although it still sometimes works. Try using smtp.3ireland.ie.

Advertisement