Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Khannie wrote:
    Enjoy. :D

I love mine. Absolutely LOVE it. I admit that it's rare that I make use of the 4 cores (basically only when encoding videos and installing software through portage) but when it moves, by jesus, it moves.

I can copy a DVD in 7 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

TonyM. wrote:
    I can copy a DVD in 7 minutes.

And I've a big willy biggrin.gif

SwampThing wrote:
    And I've a big willy biggrin.gif

I have a big ESB bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

SwampThing wrote:
    Jez, call me a liar why don't you ye!

Hehe. That's the one thing I wasn't calling you. ;)

22C on one core = no wai!

• Advertisement

With only 1.275v and a cpu fan doing over 2000rpm the temp would be low but i would expect it to be at least 10c higher maybe only one core is enabled in the bios.

or maybe one core is not enabled ?

I don't know what else to say.

That's what's being reported. IF it's correct, I can't take any great credit for it - I haven't done anything out of the ordinary.

If it's not being reported correctly, how do I find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Does the bios read the same/similar just after a restart?

I'll check in a couple of hours - just in the middle of something.

Sorry - turned off machine without checking BIOS temps - will do so this evening.

Tony, do you have any issues encoding DVD's? I'm starting to think I experiencing some SATA/RAID corruption or something. I tried TMPgEnd, Nero, Ashampoo and Ulead DVD Author and all have experienced difficulty encoding six or seven divx' to a dual layer DVD.

Each of them just fail - nothing in the event log, no messages on screen. Just the program hangs or closes without completing.

• Advertisement

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVDFab_HD_Decrypter/1132478833/1

I would have said it was lack of memory but you have enough already are you running Vista?

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVD_Shrink/1050004458/1

Thanks for that Tony but I already have the divx's on my machine. I'm trying to encode them as DVD's when the problem arises.

I have another look around. Thanks anyway.

Finally remembered to check bios temps. I had the machine on about an hour and a half and had just completed burning a DVD. Nothing too strenuous.

Nvidia monitor reported 22c as I was shutting down. I immediately restarted and checked the bios temps - 24c.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

SwampThing wrote:
    I immediately restarted and checked the bios temps - 24c.

Is that 24C below 0? i.e. is it off by 24C? (making your 22C = 22 + 24 = 46C)

I'm currently idling at 45C for 3.0GHz with a mod'd ninja. Room is average temperature. No real load on the cpu for the last few hours. Good cooling in the box. I think I'm /slightly/ above stock voltage (this is the big determinant of power output, since for switching circuits (i.e. cpus and other chips) power = freq * capacitance * voltage * voltage).

edit: Unless your room is very cold, 22C is just not possible for a processor I'm afraid. Your bios is a liar! edit: else it's reporting 22C for something other than CPU, like maybe ambient, or something.

So my bios is a liar.

Before I think of o/c'ing this board, how would I get accurate temps?

I could install the physical sensors, but if the board is reporting temps incorrectly, then these are likely to be skewed also.

ideas?

Advertisement