Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Allen Will Burn In Hell

Options
  • 21-06-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Keith Allen Will Burn In Hell

Just saw this in the paper.

Don't really like that Keith Allen bloke, but should make for an interesting comparison with Louise Theroux's documentary.
    In Channel 4’s investigation, Keith Allen takes a smarter, more streetwise approach. During three extraordinary days at Westboro, Keith reveals more about the church than other television programmes have unearthed in three months.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

when was it on? is it available to watch online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Sorry, should have clarified; It'll be on tonight on C4, at 10:30.

awesome :) good man

must remember to set up dvd recorder

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I, uh, wouldn't have described that as enlightening... I haven't seen theroux's documentary on the WBC, but judging by what I have seen of him it was infinitely more enlightening than this.

Much of it was indistinguishable from this:
    donkey.jpg

I completely forgot about this

damn..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

It consisted of a rudimentary explanation of what the WBC do, some reasonably amusing jokes, lots of shouting competitions and the "shocking revelation" that shirley phelps-roper mothered an illegitimate child. I suppose it wasn't entirely without merit; but I really disliked the presenter.

It's not something I advise losing sleep over missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Wasn't very good. Poor old Keith doesn't look like he is used to arguing with people like that. All his points were quickly batted away and I was nearly screaming at the telly when he let obvious lines of attack pass him by.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sounds frustrating, glad I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

This was poor alright.

Probably the most discrediting part of the documentary was a point in which Keith Allen's voiceover comes on declaring: "They left me with the kids... big mistake!"

And then continues to shout quite loudly at some 15 year old (not really making that much sense) and get beaten in an argument by an 18 year old.

I was disappointed he couldn't make more of the hypocrisy of the illegitimate child. He could have argued the whole idea of forgiveness and compassion; probably 2 of the biggest themes of the Christian Bible. The Phelps have obviously applied these to their own community (forgiving sex outside wedlock), but can't see past the "fags" in society to show strangers the same courtesy.

They quite happily talk about "fags" and what they get up to ("fags" eat each others faeces apparently) but when Keith Allen starts talking about women touching his "poo hole" they become quite coy and declaring that it was "TMI" (too much information).

This family is a sure fire example of sexual repression if ever I've seen it.

On second thoughts, maybe sexual repression isn't the word, more sexual diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Why do one family of attention seeking nutjobs get so much publicity?
    Obviously Allen and Thereoux thinks it will make a good program but it is odd. Is it because people who make these programs and those that watch them think most christians, particularly evengelical born again types are nuttier then squirrel **** and if you put this bunch of bozos up that reinforces the "All christians are secretly this crazy" message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

cavedave wrote:
    Obviously Allen and Thereoux thinks it will make a good program but it is odd. Is it because people who make these programs and those that watch them think most christians, particularly evengelical born again types are nuttier then squirrel **** and if you put this bunch of bozos up that reinforces the "All christians are secretly this crazy" message?
    I see a lot people go the opposite direction, they try to contrast their own beliefs against the WBC's to make their own seem more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He could have argued the whole idea of forgiveness and compassion; probably 2 of the biggest themes of the Christian Bible.

At one point the mommy one started arguing against compassion and forgiveness saying it wasn't a Christians prerogative to practice these things, it's up to God to forgive and he didn't pick up on that at all. It was annoying to watch him argue with these people. Using science against them won't work because they don't understand logical thinking. They where brought up on the bible and that's all they know.

It would have been so easy to use the bible and especially the "teachings of Jesus" against them as they seemed to go against everything Jesus would have stood for.

Poor Christian bashing was all it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I actually thought that the Westboro Church people came accross better than Keith Allen did. I found him very smug and sanctimonious to be honest.
    In Channel 4’s investigation, Keith Allen takes a smarter, more streetwise approach.
    It was the other way around for me.

Louis was far more intelligent in his dealing with the Westboro Church. He doesn't try to argue or debate. He let's the people he's dealing with show themselves up. It's then for the viewer to decide where their opinions lie.

Advertisement