Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSH/TELNET on BT

Options
  • 21-06-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭

I've got an SSH and a TELNET server set up on my home PCs. I've got BT broadband, a Dynamic DNS sevice with DYNDNS. All necessary ports are forwarded but every time I try to connect, I get a "connection refused".

I've made the necessary entries in my hosts.allow file for it to work (ie "sshd : ALL") but it will not connect from outside my LAN.

I'm using a Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1 router, which seems to be working fine. The port forwarding works for torrents etc.

So basically I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. I had suspected that BT might be blocking the standard ports, so I tried non-standard ports but still the same error!

Would anyone be able to guide me as to what I should try next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

We ran a few servers up until last month of a BT home package. No problems with SSH, or anything else we threw at it.
    EDIT: My point being it's not BT.
    What OS you running?
    Port22 for ssh. Try the ZMD. Try without the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's Slackware 10.1

Sorry i should clarify, the Zyxel Prestige z623 is the DSL modem, there's no DMZ option, (but I have port 22 forwarded) and the PCs are connected through a 3COM office-connect hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Have you tried connecting to the ssh server from another pc on the local network? If that doesn't work it could be because iptables, or whatever firewall you're running on your pc, isn't configured to allow external connections on tcp port 22.

Yea, it works from every computer on the LAN. I don't think it's an iptables issue, because I've never configured any rules with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

BT have funny modems, it's actually a one port router. This should be in bridge mode, then you let the 3com handle the pppoe. I'll assume you have this working, because you have ports forwarded for BitTorrent etc. This way you could put the slackware machine into the ZMD from the 3com to test if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

This site can be useful to see if your port forwarding is set up correctly https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. You can ask it to hit you on port 22 and it will tell you if it gets a response from your server.

The other thing to look at is your ssh log file. On fedora core it's at /var/log/secure. It might be in the same place on your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Or run tcpdump on the interface to see if there is actually any packets arriving from outside ur network.

koloughlin wrote:
    This site can be useful to see if your port forwarding is set up correctly https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. You can ask it to hit you on port 22 and it will tell you if it gets a response from your server.

The other thing to look at is your ssh log file. On fedora core it's at /var/log/secure. It might be in the same place on your system.
    This site indicates that the ports are open but the ssh log has no entries to indicate that attempted connections were made from outside the network.
    lynchie wrote:
    Or run tcpdump on the interface to see if there is actually any packets arriving from outside ur network.
    The tcpdump isn't throwing up anything,so the packets mustn't be making it past the modem...

Advertisement