Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easiest subject?

Options
  • 21-06-2007 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

im after just finishing my jc, so im wondering what's the easiest leavin subject to get an a in? and what's the hardest??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

waheyyy wrote:
    im after just finishing my jc, so im wondering what's the easiest leavin subject to get an a in? and what's the hardest??
    For me, if you like business any of the 3 business subjects particularly accounting would be easy enough and of the options I hear History and Biology are the hardest to get an A in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think that statisically, Classical Studies is one of the hardest to get an A, and Economics is one of the easiest. But it depends on the person obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Right, here's the best answer to your question! http://examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2006/Breakdown_Candidates_by_grade_Higher_Ordinary_and_Foundation.pdf
    You'll need a PDF to veiw this link

But, I'd really advise youto play to your strenghts and interests. I'd heard business was easier than history,and Iwas actually going to do that instead, even though I absolutely LOVE history, so don't be dumb and listen to your own likes etc.

DO you know how many points you are going to go for?Sometimes, you hear people going for high points wishing they didn't do things like music for eg, but, really I think that you're best off doing stuff you like, forget about thepoints system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

wel im goin for high points lik.., evry1 says economics is easy, but lukin at those statistics its one of the lowest a rates, and chemistry is one of the highest?!

waheyyy wrote:
    wel im goin for high points lik.., evry1 says economics is easy, but lukin at those statistics its one of the lowest a rates, and chemistry is one of the highest?!

mmmmm, that's kind of what I mean. Grades in things like Chemistry are so high, not because the subject is so easy, but because it really suits some people, and those that do it tend to have a real interest in the subject. Biology has a low rate of honours because loads of people with zilch interest do it.So,bear in mind the Percentage of A grades etc when picking a subject, but also give pick what suits your kind of intelligence.(hope that's not overcomplicating things!)

Also, be very careful about dropping certain subjects. If you're interested in med, vet, dentistry etc - make sure you've chemistry and another science. If you think you'll apply to British universities for courses like med and vet (through the UCAS), having three sciences (honurs maths included) is a v important

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

the Leaving Cert doesnt have "easy" subjects...thats the whole point! ur basically just asking what subjects are the most time consuming? Don't do subjects uv no interest in and sometimes don't do subjects where u dislike the teacher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

sunflowerz wrote:
    the Leaving Cert doesnt have "easy" subjects...thats the whole point! ur basically just asking what subjects are the most time consuming? Don't do subjects uv no interest in and sometimes don't do subjects where u dislike the teacher!

Ya, people say that you shouldn't do a subject just because of the teacher, but I think thats bullshit. Who the teacher is should affect you're decision, unless you feel really confident about a subject, at least imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

In all subjects if you have a good teacher you'll do well,but chemistry more lends itself to that than other subjects.So if you have a good teacher you'll do VERY well with little effort.ALso I found that for jc science,yes I did the old syllabus and yours is probably more interesting,but still jc science,especially chemistry is nothing like the lc stuff.Lc is much more interesting,because they have space to explain the stuff properly which they don't in the jc.I didn't like jc chenistry in science,but my teacher told me that the lc was really different.I trusted him and ended up loving chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

On the other hand it could really depend on the teacher. Economics is a nightmare if you have a bad teacher but very easy with a good one.

If you enjoy maths then Applied maths could be a good one for you. I would also suggest tech drawing but its getting revamped.

If you enjoy biology then ag science is a good one. Junior cert difficulty biology is about 30% of that paper and all the actual agricultural things are easy enough. I wish I had done ag science over 2 years instead of one.

Feddd wrote:
    On the other hand it could really depend on the teacher. Economics is a nightmare if you have a bad teacher but very easy with a good one.

If you enjoy maths then Applied maths could be a good one for you. I would also suggest tech drawing but its getting revamped.

If you enjoy biology then ag science is a good one. Junior cert difficulty biology is about 30% of that paper and all the actual agricultural things are easy enough. I wish I had done ag science over 2 years instead of one.

Yeah, but do you really think this is a good subject for points?
    The exam questions are ridiculously vague and it's very easy to misinterpret a question. The marking schemes are a joke and often do not give out marks for correct answers. The project (shudder) is also one of the worst experiences of my leaving cert year.
    Sorry to go off topic, but I really think that ag science is made out to be so much easier than it really is.Admittedly a great subject if you only need a B though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭fitzgese

don't do history!:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

DON'T: Pick a subject because of the teacher. Do this and your teacher will get cancer or knocked over by a car. It has happened to me, believe me.

DON'T: Pick something because someone you know said it was easy. They're good at different things.

DO: Pick something you'll be interested in. Classics and History are hard subjects, but I love them so I was able to motivate myself.

Economics is meant to be easy to predict questions in, and the course is small. I didn't do it, but it's usually a gimme for dedicated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Economics is the easiest subject by far.Also its a really small course (we'd gone over everything in the course twice by christmas of leaving cert year) with a highly predictible exam (which was shown this year, when 2 things that hadn't been up in years came up just as expected....oh and Elasticity is almost up every year....cept for this one though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

jaydigity wrote:
    Yeah, but do you really think this is a good subject for points?
    The exam questions are ridiculously vague and it's very easy to misinterpret a question. The marking schemes are a joke and often do not give out marks for correct answers. The project (shudder) is also one of the worst experiences of my leaving cert year.
    Sorry to go off topic, but I really think that ag science is made out to be so much easier than it really is.Admittedly a great subject if you only need a B though

Once again, tahst down to your teacher imo about the subject. It was a walkover for everyone in our year and noone got below 20/25 for it.

Questions can be vague but theres straightforward questions, and the marking schemes are crazy nice. Maybe your teacher was just a hard marker.
    And its not off topic, you were explaining why in your opinion Ag Science is not an easy subject which is what OP wanted to know. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Just play to your strengths. I'd say there are maybe four different areas you could be good at. If you're good at English and writing essays then history, art etc. could be good. If you're good at maths/logic then physics, chemistry, accounting etc. If you've a good head for facts then Home Ec and biology. If you're not academic then practical subjects are better. But think carefully about doing a language, are you good at it, do you need it to get into college? You'll know yourself if art or music are options, but beware that they both contain a large portion of theory work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 P-mac

Gotta say I would recommend Phys/Chem if they do it in your school. Basically the easy 3/4s of both subjects, huge choice in questions (you could almost leave out half the course) and generally if you work at it it's a memory thing rather than difficult to understand. One snag is I don't think some colleges accept it as a science subject, havn't looked into it just what I heard.

Also do a language if you're any way confident in doing it now. Personally I reckon the French test is generally handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If you're good at Math do applied Math, and Physics, then a business subject...

If languages do two foreign ones.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

TBH, calling a subject "the easiest subject" is completely bullshít. Its all about your preferance, your JC subjects being a good pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Wow i should have done Latin,Russian,Polish and Dutch!!
    85 Percebt A1 in Russian!! I guess it was like 5 out of 6 people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

P-mac wrote:
    Gotta say I would recommend Phys/Chem if they do it in your school. Basically the easy 3/4s of both subjects, huge choice in questions (you could almost leave out half the course) and generally if you work at it it's a memory thing rather than difficult to understand. One snag is I don't think some colleges accept it as a science subject, havn't looked into it just what I heard.

Also do a language if you're any way confident in doing it now. Personally I reckon the French test is generally handy enough

I think it's the Brit colleges in UKAS that don't accept phys/chem.
    I thought Phys/Chem was hard enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Feddd wrote:

Didn't find Economics a nightmare, but even having a decent teacher must be a help, our teacher was hopeless, they didn't show any real enthusiasm for the subject, allowed themselves to spend whole classes being sidetracked and ended up not finishing the course at all, we had to do the last few chapters on our own.

Mind you, it wasn't just economics, it was the same story when they taught us irish :(

A good teacher can help make a hard subject easier, while a poor teacher can make any subject hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Japanese. Pharrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Karlusss wrote:
    DON'T: Pick a subject because of the teacher. Do this and your teacher will get cancer or knocked over by a car. It has happened to me, believe me.
    I don't know, if you're looking for points, this is often the best option, a biology teacher in our school generally gets 75-80% of her class As in higher level every year, she's a machine. Last year it was about 16A1s and the rest Bs

Obviously the teacher dying is a risk, but I'd say well worth it if you're looking at percentages like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

elefant wrote:

85% of which were Russian natives...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

jaydigity wrote:
    mmmmm, that's kind of what I mean. Grades in things like Chemistry are so high, not because the subject is so easy, but because it really suits some people, and those that do it tend to have a real interest in the subject. Biology has a low rate of honours because loads of people with zilch interest do it.So,bear in mind the Percentage of A grades etc when picking a subject, but also give pick what suits your kind of intelligence.(hope that's not overcomplicating things!)

Also, be very careful about dropping certain subjects. If you're interested in med, vet, dentistry etc - make sure you've chemistry and another science. If you think you'll apply to British universities for courses like med and vet (through the UCAS), having three sciences (honurs maths included) is a v important

Yah your right about biology. I have a few time wasters in my class and most of them are thick. I remember one day when were doing about aquatic factors in ecology my teacher asked someone to give an example of a factor. The persons answer was "Is That when the sea moves in and out(ttthtt) My friend and I were pissing ourselves for that double class and we were like what have we let ourselves in for! There is a few A and B students though. I consider myself as an A student even though my teacher discourages me by orrecting my test wrong so that I get 80% when I should be getting 90%. I have to look through my exam paper for mistakes he makes when correcting. Fair enough if he makes one odd mistake but he makes loads and I end up going up 7 or 8% in tests because of his dont give a dam attitude.

In actual fact a lot of time wasters do chemistry just because they get to mix chemicals!!!! What ****ing idiots!!! But they usually do ordinary level or just give it up during 6th year because they cant hack it.

Tell me. Why is having three sciences and higher level maths important if appplying for health courses through the UCAS system? My sister applied to Britain to do pharmacy and she did chemistry and biology plus ordinary level maths. She got offers from aston (highly commended university), bradford and king college in london. It was only a backup in case she didnt get the points in the leaving cert as you could only do the course in trinity at the time. (1996) She got the points though. 580 in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

in my opinion you cant really categorise a subject as being easy our hard, its really on how the person finds the subject.

for example people on this page are talking about economics as being a very easy subject.

for example a lot of very bright people in my economics class found it very difficult.

thats all i have to say

regards

regob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

elefant wrote:

ahem....... and about 5 out of that 6 are actually Russian students... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

If anyone tells you that biology is easy, they're lying! It's not as easy as some people make it out to be. Pick geography, it's grand! Except for the geoecology essay (total ball$, when am i ever going to need info about how the jack rabbit survives the conditions in deserts?!? the jack rabbit isn't even a rabbit- it's a hare)
    That's MY opinion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

If you've got a huge amount of patience, i believe the Hons English course is very easy. you might do a lot of work, but if you get good grades in English, I'd recomend the hons course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

If you've got a huge amount of patience, i believe the Hons English course is very easy. you might do a lot of work, but if you get good grades in English, I'd recomend the hons course!

Advertisement