Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Service

Options
  • 21-06-2007 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I left my bike in for a service on Tuesday in a well known bike shop in Dublin City Centre. I asked for the brakes and gears to be sorted. It was missing gears and the brakes weren't very responsive. I also asked for a bottle cage to be put on.

SO I came back before the shop closed and they said there she is, I noticed there was no bottle cage and they guy said you can take it, no charge. I thought fair play to them giving it the once over for free.

I popped outside pedalled and noticed the brakes and gears had not been touched at all!!! Nothing had changed, They did nothing.

It was a very bizarre experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It was nice of them not to charge you for it :rolleyes:

Care to name the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

I'd be annoyed if they did, i'm just perplexed.

It was Eurocycles on South William St.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Morgan wrote:
    Care to name the shop?

I could take a good guess.

Anyway, another reason why it's worthwhile learning how to do these jobs yourself.

very true, I am in the process of learning how to fix my bike and my motorbike but in the meantime I'd like it working well.

so was it the shop you were thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

You should have charged them a rental fee.
    comer_97 wrote:
    I'd be annoyed if they did, i'm just perplexed.

It was Eurocycles on South William St.

• Advertisement

is there anywhere in the city centre you would recommend for a service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Cycleways on Parnell street is unbeatable but can be a waiting list to get your bike in there for a service.

Ring shop before bringing bike down as they will tell you to bring it in another day but a great bike service and staff are great.

i've been in there before, great shop. I think i will give them a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi guys ... id be guilty of not giving my bike a service. Id be interested to know what would a basic/general service consist of. In the past ive always wondered why certain shops would charge high(ish) prices for these. Id like to start doing them myself.
    Thanks for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got my last bike in cycleways, crank started grinding after a month or 2. Rang and arranged to bring in on a saturday morning. was able to cycle in, leave it, head off shopping in town and come back later so I could cycle home. Did a grand job, and free since it was only new.

Perhaps the bike shop forgot all about the bike, the guy might have spotted it and seen it was due back that day and rather than get a complaint about not doing it on time just gave it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Seconded. Just make sure they itemise everything you want looked at.
    Cycleways on Parnell street is unbeatable but can be a waiting list to get your bike in there for a service.

Ring shop before bringing bike down as they will tell you to bring it in another day but a great bike service and staff are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Yeh good point there. I usually write down all things I want repaired on paper and print it off, attach to bike and your off. Great shop to browse in while in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I agree with attaching a list of the jobs to be done to the bike. I had 5 visits in 8 days for a service, and getting an accessory fitted.

(1) be done by tomorrow evening (Friday)
    (2) we didn't get around to doing it, come back in an hour and it'll be done
    (3) didn't do it, it will be ready after the weekend
    (4) guy who was doing it went on holidays over the weekend for a few weeks
    (5) can't find the parts you ordered
    (6) found the parts, they were put away for you, call back on Friday

Advertisement