Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion timer (again)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

instructions for above attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Here's the reply from Horstmann:

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Whilst the Electrisaver E15 requires live and neutral in/out, it only
    switches the "Live" so it is feasible to connect to just to the Live
    bath feed. This will mean however, that you would not be able to keep
    your immersion heater on for any longer than an hour at a time.

We make a unit called the Economy 7 Quartz which is designed to operate
    on a typical "Sink/Bath" installation allowing timed control of the bath
    and boost (2 hour) of the sink.
    This may be a more suitable unit for you.

I hope this helps.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to
    contact me.

Regards,
    Jason

Here's the reply from Horstmann:

We make a unit called the Economy 7 Quartz which is designed to operate
    on a typical "Sink/Bath" installation allowing timed control of the bath
    and boost (2 hour) of the sink.
    This may be a more suitable unit for you.

This is the unit I have been telling you about, it has plugs and connections so you can do what ever you want with it, the timer and the boost (0 - 120min) are independent of each other.
    The only reason you need an immersion switch is because in your OP you only wanted a 2 hour boost to work, the E7 needs the immersion switch to give you the option of boosting either the sink or the bath.

But that's fine just ignore me!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Sorry Stoner, wasn't ignoring you :o Was just a bit bamboozled with all the options.

But yeah, you're right, the E7 looks like it will do the job.
    Found a new problem last night though, the ex owners of the house had the attic converted and it seems that the 4 double sockets in the attic are fed from the immersion feed!! That'll have to be changed before I do anything else.

Thanks for all the time you spent on this, I really do appreciate it, cheers.
    Thanks to everyone else too.

no probs NS, best of luck with the other electrics, I'd say there is a chance there is a couple of security lights hanging off it too

• Advertisement

You could be right there, must check that too.
    Thanks again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Hi all. A related question so I thought I should post here. I wired in an immersion timer between the mains and the immersion switch (the on-off sink-bath panel). The immersion is still working fine but the timer isn't moving. It's one of simple 24 hr mechanical ones. I've treble check my wiring job and it's correct according to the instructions but I still can't figure out why the timer won't move. The timer is rated for 13A (3120W) and is similar to this model except that it has Live&Neutral In (from mains), Live&Neutral out (to immersion switch) and a common Earth pin, instead of being plugged into a wall socket. Is the damn thing faulty or have I screwed up the installation?

My setup Mains
    >Timer
    >Immersion Switch---->Immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

KerranJast wrote:
    . The timer is rated for 13A (3120W) and is similar to this model except that it has Live&Neutral In (from mains), Live&Neutral out (to immersion switch) and a common Earth pin, instead of being plugged into a wall socket. Is the damn thing faulty or have I screwed up the installation?

My setup Mains
    >Timer
    >Immersion Switch---->Immersion.

Not sure the current problem but I foresee two others:
    1) That timer rating is very low to switch an immersion, most elements are arount the 3.5kW mark, you're timer is at 3.12kW

2) With the proposed wiring set up you wont be able to use the sink function when the timer is off. Really you'd need to take the feed from the Imersion Switch Bath Outlet, and run that through the timer, but that's still not a great setup. TBH an all in one timer and switch unit would be much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Thanks for the reply. I've not been able to find a timer with anything greater than 3kW rating. I thought 3.12kW would be high enough. Any suggestions where I could get a better one? I'm not too bothered about the sink function being disabled when the timer is off. We don't really use that much hot water anyway except for showers will be provided at designated times during the day.

Edit: I found a 16A timer here . I presume that's a higher wattage but is it safe to use off what should be a 13A line?

Lads sounds like the E7 could still do what you both want.

OP if you look closely at the time dial on the E7 you will notice a little blue and red tab. You can control the off peak times. Although they come set to work between 4.5 and 7 hours they are not limited to this. The recommend adjusting them before installation, but you can change these tabs (cams) position so that the off peak time is less then 4.5 hours if you want ( in theory). If you are interested I'll scan in the instructions for this adjustment.

also the stat on the immersion will keep turning the element on and off so you dont really get the unit on full blast for 7 hours anyway.

a 16 Amp MCD is recommented for protection of E7s.

• Advertisement

might be of some use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Anybody know what the going rate in Dublin is for the Horstmann E7 (the one with off-peak timer, off/timed switch and 2 hour boost option - I think there's a variant with just 1 hour boost)? The only quote that I've got so far is c. €100 incl. VAT from Phibsboro Electrical Wholesalers. Any suggestions on where else to try that might be competitive? There are also a couple on eBay from UK sellers with low initial bids and a few days left on the auctions but I tend to prefer "buy it now" sales on eBay to be honest.

cost sounds about right TM, however if Phibsboro is near you, you can call up to me in Glasnevin and you can have one i got in as a sample for free.

Hi Stoner - that's extremely kind of you! :) I will PM you separately about it. A mate of mine in the industry also confirmed that c. €100 incl. VAT was about the norm.

Picked the unit up from Stoner's place. Thanks again! :)

Advertisement