Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon ideas

• 21-06-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Anybody have a low fat recipe for a chunk of salmon i have sitting at home?
    I could cook it on the grilldle pan but have no idea what sort of low fat sauce to make. I presume sort of lemony sauce with herbs? Any tips?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

How about a sort of salsa verde? Roughly chop/blend capers, anchovies, fresh parsley, a little olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. You can leave out the olive oil if you like. It's a cold sauce, and it's fantastic on fish. Try finely dicing some fennel and throwing it in it too- yum.

If you just want a low fat lemon sauce, after cooking the salmon, deglaze the pan with lemon juice. Let it all froth up, then add in a handful of diced tarragon. Season, then add a spoon of fat-free yoghurt off the heat and spoon over the salmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tear off a square of tin foil – twice the size required to wrap the chunk of salmon.
    In the square grease the center lightly with some olive oil.
    Place the salmon on the square along with a bayleaf, a sliver or two of garlic, a sprig of dill, a squeeze of lemon juice & tbsp of water or white wine.
    Add salt & pepper to taste.
    Bring two opposing sides of the foil up to meet each other & fold securely so that you make an open-ended bag.
    Now fold the open ends so that the salmon is sealed inside the tin foil “bag”.
    Make sure that the "seams" are tight to prevent air & steam from escaping.
    Places the bag on a roasting tin & pop in the over for 25 to 30 mins at 170C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I like to put the salmon in a roasting dish, add a tsp turmeric, a chopped chili, chopped garlic, and maybe a shallot, then cover the whole thing with a bottle of beer (i like wheat-beers), cover with tinfoil and poach/steam for ~30 mins.

I spoon out some of the juices to keep it moist and fish out the shallot/chili for bits. Total fabrication on my part and i'm sure there are better ways to do it, but it works well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Crispy Salmon with Crushed Potatoes ( Dont know if this is low fat, but its yum )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYRfCyu25BI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Wrapping Salmon in rashers and baking it results in a crazily-tasty snack that far exceeds the sum of its parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Hill Billy wrote:
    Tear off a square of tin foil – twice the size required to wrap the chunk of salmon.
    In the square grease the center lightly with some olive oil.
    Place the salmon on the square along with a bayleaf, a sliver or two of garlic, a sprig of dill, a squeeze of lemon juice & tbsp of water or white wine.
    Add salt & pepper to taste.
    Bring two opposing sides of the foil up to meet each other & fold securely so that you make an open-ended bag.
    Now fold the open ends so that the salmon is sealed inside the tin foil “bag”.
    Make sure that the "seams" are tight to prevent air & steam from escaping.
    Places the bag on a roasting tin & pop in the over for 25 to 30 mins at 170C.

agree with ya there... yum yum

Advertisement