Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car smell - help me!

Options
  • 21-06-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Howdie. Myself and my brother recently bought a car off a mates Dad. It's a '00 Honda Accord, which was in the cops possession before he had it. It's a lovely car...in all bar one respect - the absolute hum in it!

We have no idea what it is, nor how to get rid of it. The car was valetted before we took it, and the smell disappeared for a day or two, but then came back. At this point we thought it may be bacteria growing in the a/c, so we took it to a garage and a lad used a machine on it for about 15 minutes to kill the bacteria.

Again, the smell came back. We have checked everywhere, but have no idea where this tang is emanating from! Has anyone here experienced anything like this before? Any suggestions! Please God I'm at my wits end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Did you check the boot for body parts?

Could be anywhere. A propper Vallet should have cleaned it out, assuming ofc it's coming from inside the car itself. If they didn't cklean the boot it's the first plac i'd look.

Pull the back seats out too if no joy with the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Lol, yeah, everyone thinks body parts! Have checked the boot, under the seats - the lot! It's worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not trying to be smart, but you're going to have to use you nose and sniff around for it. Once you get close to the source the smell will obviously be stronger. Smells can be hard to locate.

What does it smell like? - I've often come across spilt milk thats been left without being cleaned off and man can it smell after a few hours and can be incredibly difficult to erradicate.

We have tried to locate it without success. I couldn't really describe the smell...it's just not nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Take Yore Ma outta the boot :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.. why not ask your mates dad did he spill anything in it,
    surely he, or your mates must have noticed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Have you got a dog? Maybe they can locate the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could be a dead mouse inside a sill or doorframe or any such cavity.

We don't have a dog, but i have considered going to me missis place and turfing her dog in to see what he does! The mouse is certainly an interesting theory!

My mates Dad only had the car a short while - it was given to him after the cops in Galway erroneously destroyed a car of his. He already had one and was selling this so we snapped it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Check the Pollen Filters, They could be full of mould and all other sorts of gunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Is there any signs of damp?Especially in the boot or under the front passenger side seat carpet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

it was given to him after the cops in Galway erroneously destroyed a car of his.

its prob been sitting in a compound for months so!

it could be a spilled liquid which is after working its way into the seat foam. it might be worth removing all interior trim.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Last time I experienced a nasty smell that wouldn't go away in a car was down to a dead cat caught under the bonnet :eek:

Advertisement