Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody tell me about this IRA poster?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Do not feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

You're a sick man! Pathetic.

Well, since your were so smart and indifferent with your comment " I'm sure if you want to talk to him, as you find this so interesting, you'll find him in Portlaoise prison " regarding a republican going to prison, I just thought I would reply in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

McArmalite/O'Leaprosy banned for one week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

seamus wrote:
    Or, instead of having a bunch of pissed-off drug dealers masquerading as Republicans, we'll have a bunch of pissed-off drug dealers masquerading as Unionists, and attacking targets in the Republic.

Like it or not, the Unionists represent at least half of the population of the North. They deserve to have their opinions heard just as much as the Republicans do. They belong there, irrespective of how their ancestors ended up there. Stormont and home rule is the fairest and most sensible solution.

Hi Seamus.. While I agree that all men and women on this Island, regardless of whether they are unionist or republican... or none of the above have the right to vote and have a say - they make up a tiny minority on this Island..

You are overlooking the right for the very native people of this Island to at least have a majority say as a majority collective. Is this not too much to ask? Britain took control of Ireland and treated those very people like Dirt - ridding any human rights they would of had via the penal laws.. now this is all in the past - and today is the present.. And in this present I think it's only fair that the Island of Ireland caters to the majority of this Island, opposed to trying to find ways to support Unionist votes in the North when our very own people's voice matters not.

I would love to welcome everyone from the North into a United republic, free from secretarian agendas. That may take time before it "settles" - but it's not settling either way.. is it?

To sum it up - Majority rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

ok,first things first:the poster who said that the IRA killed 1800-1200 crown forces and 600 civvies....please dont speak of those who died during that terrible time as a bunch of figures/numbers.after all,regardless of who they were,they all left families behind!also i notice the poster highlighted the 'crown forces' killed but refused to mention the 600 who were civilians.oh wait 70 of them were informers(wheres the proof!?,i bet they werent all informers)
    also,lads,this is getting ridiculous.accept the fact the PIRA,RIRA,CIRA and INLA are up to there necks in criminality and so are the UVF,UDA etc,or do you choose to ignore the IMC(?) reports.
    im assuming(dangerous word!)that some of ye are RSF seeing as the Shinners 'sold out' as ye have basically been saying.RSF and physical force repyblicans have to understand,its the 21st century.we are living in good times economically and it has been proven by recent elections in the North that the VAST MAJORITY of people in the North want peace.why do ye want the 'armed struggle' to continue??it got ye nowhere near a united ireland anyway!i think peace in the whole of IRELAND is more important and i think our BROTHERS in the North(catholic,protestant,unionist,nationalist,republican)should be given peace.ROI has enjoyed it for decades,i think the North deserves it now!

i want a united ireland...through peaceful means.but im not willing to plunge the North back into the Dark Age for the sake of politics...no way!
    someone,i think Fenian sad it,that the he does not recognise the Dail etc,well im what you republicans still call a 'FREE STATER'.i recognise the Dail,the TRUE Oglaigh Na hEireann;the Irish Defence Forces.but i believe peace in the north is more important than a United Ireland w/ political violence in the North.no matter how badly i want a United island,i would still rather have peace.

eroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

don't be so ridiculous, of course I have the right to judge the IRA, they are a terrorist organisation. Anyone who kills innocent people deserve to be judged so get off your high horse.

Yeah, the British have oppressed over the centuries, that's because they were a colonial power, they'd be a pretty **** colonial power if they didn't go around the world conquering and oppressing, but when they were doing it, there were plenty of Irishmen coming along for the ride (and the spoils).

Mr.Fratton i disagree wit you! ...

I'd even hazard a guess that the RA killed far fewer civvies on both your island and ours during our 30 year struggle than your boys have killed in the past 2/3 years in Iraq, and for that matter in every other country ye've decided to "colonise" over the years.

it's kind of a big hairy type of beer:o

As much as i disagree wit yours views i can't help but laugh wit ya bro'.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

cranmore wrote: »
    I'd even hazard a guess that the RA killed far fewer civvies on both your island and ours during our 30 year struggle than your boys have killed in the past 2/3 years in Iraq, and for that matter in every other country ye've decided to "colonise" over the years.

you can call me Fred:)

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. If you include loyalist paramilitaries then certainly. I personally don't make any distinction between someone who would walk into a bookies with a gun to kill innocent catholics and someone who would plant a bomb in a busy shopping centre, or soldiers shooting human rights protestors. I think anyone who holds these sorts of people up as heroes has serious personal issues.

Iraq is a different matter though and whatever the UK do/did in Iraq should not be held up as an excuse for anything carried out in the name of a united Ireland.

Iraq is a different matter though and whatever the UK do/did in Iraq should not be held up as an excuse for anything carried out in the name of a united Ireland.

I wouldn't for one minute use Iraq to excuse any action taken towards securing a united Ireland, i was merely holding it up as an example of the british army killing civillians.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

EU baby get use to it.:D

• Advertisement

cranmore wrote: »
    i was merely holding it up as an example of the british army killing civillians.

Agree totally with your points cranmore, but it's the british murdering civillians. During the troubles when the IRA killed someone it was reported, both sides of the border, as murder. When the brits did it, it was called killing.
    Likewise, when the loyalists went into say, a pub and shot down innocent nationalists with british supplied weapons, it was called - retaliation. Did you ever hear when the Provos shot say, armed british soldiers or ruc men, being described as 'retaliation' ??

I'm not asking people to start saying, oh yeah, the IRA were great guys, but the point of my posting is to point out the hypocrisy and propaganda fed to us during the troubles and the establishment's view on murder in the North. A bit like Orwell - " All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others". And so, not just the brits as you'd expect, but also with the 26 co.'s govt, the stoops (sdlp), the hypocrites in the 'Peace People', the 'Peace Train' movement etc, deaths caused by the IRA were worthy of greater condemnation than state forces. " We can't talk to terrorists, we must ban them off the TV and radio" etc while terrorists from the british forces and their political wings, Labour and Tories etc are free to spout their excuses. We must implement McCarthyism and write the blackest propaganda as to what is the cause of the troubles and pretend that if we ass kiss the unionists enough, they'll get out of bed some morning and want to join a United Ireland.

It's called gross lies and hypocrisy and it's unfortunately what fed and prolonged the troubles :mad:

McArmalite wrote: »
    Agree totally with your points cranmore, but it's the british murdering civillians. During the troubles when the IRA killed someone it was reported, both sides of the border, as murder. When the brits did it, it was called killing.
    Likewise, when the loyalists went into say, a pub and shot down innocent nationalists with british supplied weapons, it was called - retaliation. Did you ever hear when the Provos shot say, armed british soldiers or ruc men, being described as 'retaliation' ??

I'm not asking people to start saying, oh yeah, the IRA were great guys, but the point of my posting is to point out the hypocrisy and propaganda fed to us during the troubles and the establishment's view on murder in the North. A bit like Orwell - " All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others". And so, not just the brits as you'd expect, but also with the 26 co.'s govt, the stoops (sdlp), the hypocrites in the 'Peace People', the 'Peace Train' movement etc, deaths caused by the IRA were worthy of greater condemnation than state forces. " We can't talk to terrorists, we must ban them off the TV and radio" etc while terrorists from the british forces and their political wings, Labour and Tories etc are free to spout their excuses. We must implement McCarthyism and write the blackest propaganda as to what is the cause of the troubles and pretend that if we ass kiss the unionists enough, they'll get out of bed some morning and want to join a United Ireland.

It's called gross lies and hypocrisy and it's unfortunately what fed and prolonged the troubles :mad:

care to give some examples, because I think you are over sensationalising the reporting.

care to give some examples, because I think you are over sensationalising the reporting.

The one thing that really extended the troubles, was Governments attitude to "political prisoners".

Where the government tried to make an issue that these prisoners were "common criminals" and tried to enforce the regime (long list of events including hunger strikers etc), it gave the republican movement such a boost that Sinn Féin became a major player on the scene.

Had this been left well alone during this period, the troubles would have fizzled out in the 80's.

May even have a united Ireland now.

But Gerry Adams and other Sinn Féin/(former)IRA members would not be part of it. Neither (most likely) would Ian Paisley.

Jaysus, "give some examples". TV, RADIO, NEWSPAPER REPORTS DAILY FOR ALMOST 25 YEARS......................GOD KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES A DAY.......

Try reading Liz Curtis (an English woman,) Ireland and the Propaganda War: The Media and the "Battle for Hearts and Minds ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

I'm suprised these two points didn't get more discussion time here
    Most Irish people would like the nation to be re-unified, their just not willing to do anything about it.

and
    Do you honestly think the North wouldn't be better off in the long run being reinegrated with the Republic, it's natural economic hinterland?

When was that poll taken which showed most Irish were no longer in favour of a united Ireland? Two years ago?

Besides, we count afford them. We couldn't afford them at the height of the Celtic Tiger and God help us bankroll our own goverment and Bertie's raise in the upcoming downturn.

Besides most Irish in the north of the Republic view the North as a place to go shopping.

mrgalway wrote: »
    I'm suprised these two points didn't get more discussion time here

and

When was that poll taken which showed most Irish were no longer in favour of a united Ireland? Two years ago?

Besides, we count afford them. We couldn't afford them at the height of the Celtic Tiger and God help us bankroll our own goverment and Bertie's raise in the upcoming downturn.

Besides most Irish in the north of the Republic view the North as a place to go shopping.

If it wasn't for the Unionists, Britain would have offloaded Norm Iron years ago. The place is a huge financial sinkhole

edit: add some info

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/542849/
    NORTH vs SOUTH - The numbers story

NEW COMPANY FORMATION

Growth in number of VAT-registered companies, 1996-2004

N Ireland: +10.36%

Republic: +76.27%

TOURISM

Tourist income, 2004

N Ireland: £3.25m

Republic: £2.33bn

PRODUCTIVITY

Gross value-added per capita, 2001

N Ireland: £11,300

Republic: £18,517

PUBLIC EXPENDITURE

Social security as percentage of household income, 2000

N Ireland: 22%

Republic: 12%

Total government spending as percentage of GDP, 2004

N Ireland: 67.00%

Republic: 34.49%

ENTREPRENEURSHIP

Proportion of 25-34yr-olds who are entrepreneurs

N Ireland: 7%

Republic: 12%

Number of entrepreneurs

N Ireland: 71,000

Republic: 253,000

CORPORATION TAX

UK versus Irish basic rate

N Ireland: 30.00%

Republic: 12.50%

JOB CREATION

New jobs created in 2005

N Ireland: 10,000

Republic: 100,000

SOURCES: Ireland North and South - A Statistical Profile 2003, CSO Publications, DTI, ONS, Eurostat, GEM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

On close inspection you will note that the tricolour shown here is in fact that of the Ivory Coast. As it happens, this was a promotional poster for a 1970s Ivory Coast feature-film called "Sunday Bloody Sunday" - the story of a renegade Ivorian goat-herder who opened fire, for no apparent reason, on the St Patrick's Day Parade in Yamoussoukro (capital of the Ivory Coast), killing many people.

A little known fact is that the massacre actually took place on a saturday, however the Hollywood moguls (who were financing the project) preferred "sunday" for marketing reasons.

A little known fact is that the massacre actually took place on a saturday, however the Hollywood moguls (who were financing the project) preferred "sunday" for marketing reasons.

I thought that they named it after that song by the german submariners in boat two.

McArmalite wrote: »
    Jaysus, "give some examples". TV, RADIO, NEWSPAPER REPORTS DAILY FOR ALMOST 25 YEARS......................GOD KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES A DAY.......

Try reading Liz Curtis (an English woman,) Ireland and the Propaganda War: The Media and the "Battle for Hearts and Minds ".

thank you. if I get a chance I'll read it. hopefully that wil give examples rather than your own extremely biased opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

56!?! wrote: »
    I see this on all my Irish friends personal sites (like bebo & myspace). Can anybody tell me anything about, like the date & other things?

160681222a338356877b661hw3.jpg

Thank you.

Its not an IRA poster. Its a crude photoshop probably created by some kid.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Nope fingers should never rest in trigger guards. Even the Hamas fellas dont do that ...

1) The mans finger is in an acceptable position, the photoshop has blurred the image.

2) Its impossible to know what position the catch is in, because its on the other side of the rifle.

3) If you wanted to point out what goes against strict military training in the picture, you would've outlined that the man is pointing the rifle upwards. Anyone who has been trained by a military professional will tell you that you'll immediately be corrected in this. You're taught to point your rifle at the ground at all times when not firing. The reason being that if a round 'cooks off' (That is, fires itself from the heat of the barrell), then its better to be shoot a comrade in the foot than in the back of the head.

4) The man in the picture is not from the PIRA, RIRA or any other Irish organisation, he is a member of HAMAS. I'd suggest you stop attempting to educate us on the difference between HAMAS and the IRA, untill you can actually spot the difference.

5) Pretty silly condemning the IRA as 'ill trained terrorists'. The IRA has had volunteers who were trained by the Legion, US Army and british army. If they're ill-trained rabble, it doesn't bode well for the Irish army, who couldn't even subdue an ASU, even when they surrounded them with their british-supplied light tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 History101

balaclava?
    gun?
    tricolour?

its safe to assume that with those 3 things in the poster thats its an ira one, what else could it be? unless you mean thats its not ira but the provo's or rira but sure their all the same pack of murdering scum anyway.
    Wow ! a lot of "know it alls" on here,you are all wrong,that poster was created by an I.N.L.A sympathizer,although it was not the idea or design of the I.N.L.A it was somewhat adopted by them .Think about this,would you rather be an uneducated,ignorant,imbecile simpleton that thinks they know everything or murdering scum ? gotta say ,it's a tough 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement