Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand bookshops

Options
  • 21-06-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any secondhand bookshops around the city centre?
    D2 preferred, or D1 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Upstairs Chapters on Parnell St
    Secret bookstore on Wicklow St
    Trinity Students Union does second hand books (during term time only I think)
    A few places in the Georges St arcade

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Haven't Chapters moved up around Parnell Square somewhere?

There was a thread in the literature forum about this. Charity stores can be quite good too for fiction, not so much for academic titles.

EDIT/funktastic got there before me thanks to stupid database errors. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

There's another place on Parnell Street near Capel Street, can't think of the name though.

The Winding Stair on the North Quays.

Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street doesn't do used, but has plenty of bargains on new books in its basement (and frequent sales).

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Oxfam books which is located between city hall and the quays can be quite useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Brooklyn74 wrote:
    The Winding Stair on the North Quays
    That closed as a bookshop a long time ago - it's a restaurant now.

• Advertisement

That closed as a bookshop a long time ago - it's a restaurant now.

I'm sure its both.

I'm sure its both.
    It used to be a book shop and coffee shop type restaurant but the bookshop closed in April 2005. Now it's just a restaurant.

It used to be a book shop and coffee shop type restaurant but the bookshop closed in April 2005. Now it's just a restaurant.

Oh ok then. Its around that time that I last used the place so I must be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You can't beat charity shops for secondhand bargains.

The two best areas are up at the top of Camden St. (about 6 grouped together plus one in the Carmalite Centre) and Phibsborough (4 around the s/c and another 4 just around the corner on the NCR towards the direction of the old church).

There's also 4/5 grouped together towards the Liffey end of Capel St.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

cheers all!
    I will go on a massive book-buying expedition after work on Monday.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

In January (or Feb?) I went to a small acoustic gig in the Winding Stairs (Jenny Lindfors, Ben Kritikos, et al. Most excellent), and while I was there I bought a couple of books. So yeah, very confusing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The food is amazing in that place, really worth it.

lightening wrote:
    The food is amazing in that place, really worth it.
    Yup - I remember posting about it in the restaurant thread in Food and Drink.

Back on Topic - has Green's completely closed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

There's one on Talbot St, opposite Independent Newspapers HQ. Does books & games. Never been inside and it looks small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Went to chapters, it was massive. Huge selection of secondhand books, but they are quite eqpensive compared to anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Brooklyn74

I haven't been to Chapters since it moved, but I used to go to the Abbey Street store a lot. I found their prices ok. But then they also had by far the best selection of used books (speaking as someone who tends to read mostly non-fiction, especially politics and history).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Winding stairs re-opened it's bookshop a few months ago. Great place to browse but it's a lot smaller then it used to be.

There used to be loads of great second hand bookshops around but there are so few places left now - must be the celtic tiger effect. Green's closed recently, Duffy's was a great place to browse, but gone years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

There is one on the Rathmines road, towards town end, near St. Mary's College.

Advertisement