Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CD Player removal - 02 Passat

Options
  • 21-06-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I got myself an in-dash 6 cd changer for my motor on ebay, but I need to know where I'd get the clips to remove the existing single-disc player. Do Halfords do them?

I assume it'll be a handy enough job? Pull one out, connect the cables to the new one and slide it in?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Any VW dealer will supply these as a spare part. I'll try and dig out the part number..................

EDIT : Part number is 1H0 051 530 - this is for a pack of two removal tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

If you have an old credit card cut it into 4 long strips and that will work fine with the VW gamma radio ( and i think its the sony 6 disk changer ) on the passat ,

Provided you have the loom from the main radio to the changer its not a hard job ! but if you have air-con if I remember correctly there were quiet a few control cables coming out of that to watch out for .

Just a thought Kaiser, is your current unit a double DIN or single DIN unit - do you have a small storage space above/below the stereo. 2003 model Passats (which can have 2002 reg plates) have a double DIN unit - no storage space. To put it another way - are you adding a 6 disc player or are you replacing the whole thing? If the latter then you may need an adapter wiring loom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for the replies so far lads..

There's currently the factory Gamma radio, a single-disc VW CD player, and the aircon control panel installed in the centre console. That's it full.

The idea would be to pull out the single-disc player and install the (also VW) 6 CD changer (same width/height) in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

My 02 Passat didn't come with a CD Player. They came with cassette that year. Are you sure it's original?

Edit: Just noticed your above post.

It sounds a bit strange that you would fit 6 CD Changer and player in a single DIN size. Have you got link to eBay auction?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a 2003 model to me - you don't mention a storage space. Kaiser, have you a large screen display on your current unit?

A photo of your current unit would be great.

Mine was a single DIN with storage space underneath.

Double DIN:
    rbcarspassil357gh9.th.jpg

Single DIN:
    autozonegreenhillspassivq6.th.jpg

Pictures attached as requested :)

Ebay link is here

Ah, I see. I thought you were changing the head unit. Didn't read properly.

Looks like it is single DIN size. Shouldn't be a problem.

I've no experience of removing these. Never had a car with original stereo.

Yeah - just swap the CD players. Its the 2002 model - 2003 models had one unit which took up both spaces. All you need is two of those removal tools and it's a straight swap. The wiring loom to the current single disc unit may not be the same so you may need to remove both units if the wiring needs to changed.

• Advertisement

eBay auction seems to suggest wiring loom is same.

ballooba wrote:
    eBay auction seems to suggest wiring loom is same.

It may well be - I've installed any amount of single disc units but never a 6 disc dash mount in Passat so I don't know for sure. If the loom is the same then the job is simple - shouldn't take more than 5 mins.

crosstownk wrote:
    It may well be - I've installed any amount of single disc units but never a 6 disc dash mount in Passat so I don't know for sure. If the loom is the same then the job is simple - shouldn't take more than 5 mins.
    If only everything was that simple. Especially electrics. :)

Update...

Got the clips from a local VW dealer (€5.95) and he even swapped the 2 players over himself for me (fair play to him :)). As ye thought, it was a 5 minute job. Plug one out and the other in - sorted, and all's working well.

Advertisement