Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from Singapore, Help!!

Options
  • 21-06-2007 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,

I've recently bought a 01 Mazda MX-5 from an exporter in japan(TAU).

The car is coming from Singapore.

The VRT from Japan is 1500euro cheaper than anywhere else. I only found this out when I rang the VRT office with the chassis number. Straight away the lady was able to tell me the chassis number was not one of japan as it had 17 digits and started with JMZN....

The car is on the boat and payed for.

I was hoping someone else found themselves in the same situation or had any ideas how to get around this one.

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Joe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Get a stencil kit and whack JMZN infront of the chassis number :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Would it be cheaper to register it in the UK and bring it here? Maybe you could just sell it in the north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you don't need to give them the chassis number, just go to the VRT website and get a quote online by selecting a make and model, and say it's first registered in Japan. then you print out the quote and bring it in with you when you're paying VRT.

btw, don't forget about Bill of Laden, clearance charge, Duty at 10% and VAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joeymountmellic

steve06 wrote:
    you don't need to give them the chassis number, just go to the VRT website and get a quote online by selecting a make and model, and say it's first registered in Japan. then you print out the quote and bring it in with you when you're paying VRT.

btw, don't forget about Bill of Laden, clearance charge, Duty at 10% and VAT!

You sure it works that way??

I'd be inclined to say they would be looking for the registration papers for the car and they are headed with "REPUBLIC OF SINGAPORE."

I'm screwed, might as well have bought the car in Ireland and saved myself all the time and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't quite understand ...

VRT is based on the Irish open market selling price ...since when did the country of first registration make any difference on the Irish price?

A MX 5 is a MX 5 ...whether it was first registerd in Japan, Singapore or Germany.

The only difference is that for a car imported from outside the EU you pay all sorts of other taxes and duties, but the VRT as such should be unaffected.

The Singapore one may also be specced out to the hilt, which would put the VRT up slightly ...but at least you'd get your moneys worth in spec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

peasant wrote:
    I don't quite understand ...

VRT is based on the Irish open market selling price ...since when did the country of first registration make any difference on the Irish price?

A MX 5 is a MX 5 ...whether it was first registerd in Japan, Singapore or Germany.

The only difference is that for a car imported from outside the EU you pay all sorts of other taxes and duties, but the VRT as such should be unaffected.

The Singapore one may also be specced out to the hilt, which would put the VRT up slightly ...but at least you'd get your moneys worth in spec.
    It's all to do with specs for different countries etc...

Sorry Joey, you will need the ownership papers I wasn't thinking there... but it depends on where the car was first regestired, so was that japan or singapore?

It's like if you buy a car in the UK and it was originall a jap import... then you pay VRT on the jap import, not uk import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joeymountmellic

The car is from Singapore.

Its the fact that I bought it from a Japanese exporting company is what threw me.

I only realised it would be different when I rang the VRT office. I just took the Japan option on the www.revenue.ie screen to mean all of Asia I suppose.

Something for everyone buying abroad to watch.

Advertisement