Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbishment of Clancy Strand

Options
  • 21-06-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Clancy Strand makeover underway
    by Marie Hobbins
    FOR the next eight months, the entire length of Clancy Strand, from the Treaty Stone to Sarsfield Bridge, will be undergoing a complete makeover.

In the latest phase of riverside development undertaken by Limerick City Council, Clancy Strand and O’Callaghan Strand are to be completely upgraded and enhanced to complement the turnabout of the city that is still progressing on the opposite banks.

Some months ago, the council revealed plans to transform the strands into attractive riverside routes and this week, senior engineer, Vincent Murray, confirmed that work is due to commence on Monday, June 25.

"Work will commence at the Treaty Stone and proceed on to include a new riverside park at the Curragower Falls, which will provide an attractive area for the public.

This vantage point will enhance the amenity potential of the area by maximising the dramatic riverside views of King John’s Castle, St Mary’s Cathedral, the Circuit Court, the Hunt Museum and park and Arthur’s Quay Park, as well as the spire of St John’s Cathedral, etc,” said Mr Murray, adding the park will also provide a safe access point to the river for canoeists, kayakers and fishermen.

"It is also envisaged that the new riverside park will provide an excellent vantage point from which to view the city centre and up river as well,” he said.

The Clancy Strand refurbishment will include the reconstruction (including widening) of the footpaths in high quality limestone, the installation of new, decorative lamp posts and under-grounding of overhead electric and Telecom cables, a major enhancement of the area around the Treaty Stone in high quality materials.

"We will erect tourist signage and information boards providing the history of the Treaty Stone and King John’s Castle, improved pedestrian crossing points along the strand, soft landscaping and tree planting and greatly improved bus and coach stop facilities.”

A contract for two million euro has been awarded to the civil engineering contractors, John Craddock Limited

City Council has also confirmed that when completed, refurbishment of O’Callaghan’s Strand will commence, as will repair and repainting of the Shannon Bridge railings.

Mr Murray disclosed that after some consideration it was agreed that the bridge railings will be painted green.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Pics and info
    Guys don't forget that a major overhaul of William St, O'Connell St, Patrick St, Cathrine St, and lower Henry St, as well as Clancy and O'Callaghan Strands is already provisioned for.

This includes sorting out the building facades, providing new bins, working in conjunction with retailers to remodel shop facades, improve lighting, and seating, and introduce a lot of trees to the city center, as well as much, much, more!
    This has already started on Bedford Row, and Thomas St, and is due to start on O'Connell St in August\September.
    That's when the new traffic layout is supposed to come into effect too.

In case ye've forgot, or not seen them, here's the .pdf's.
    (Obviously you'll need Adobe.;) )

William Street and O'Connell Street Plan

Upper Thomas Street/Catherine Street Plan

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt1

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt2

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt3

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt4

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt5

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt6

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt7

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt 8

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt9

Curragour Plan Pt1

Curragour Plan Pt2

Limerick is going to look amazing in 2-3 years (unless the council do a Galway, and f**k up like in Ayer Square and it takes years, and years!!!:( )

All the ones that say O'Callaghan strand are for both O'callaghan and Clancy strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Hi hope they keep the scum away. seriously. i've been living there when they did the roadworks (2 years ago?) and that amount of scumbags walking there towards citycentre and harassing people was just unbelievable! finally moved away when they began to throw stones at doors...

oh, i shouldn't say scumbag. i mean the bored sensible kids from the disadvantaged areas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Who the **** thought this disaster u:mad: p??????
    They should be taken out of their dull offices and pushed off Sarsfield bridge.
    Good idea put another park there on the river for knackers,druggies,and other scumbags to hang out and annoy all and sundry.
    Not only are they going to choke off the city centre busisness,they are now going to NARROW the now only existing throughfare to get to the East side of town [William st].
    This is the same fukwitted planning that went into things like;the daft bus lane coming into Ivans at Caherdavin,where there already have been at least four accidents.
    The Non used cycle lane on Childers road.That will now have to be removed to widen the road to allow people into the shopping centre there.
    The daft traffic light at the Hilton hotel,before you hit Sarsfield bridge.The best traffic blocker yet:mad:
    Whoever designs this obviously has not walked around this new town in the middle of the night.They have created a muggers paradise with all the blind spots and recessed doors.
    All looks nice on paper.In reality it turns out to be ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭adaminho

Not only are they going to choke off the city centre busisness,they are now going to NARROW the now only existing throughfare to get to the East side of town [William st].
    The upgrade of William Street will only involve removing the on street parking. If anything it should improve traffic on William street as you wont have someone holding up the whole street to reverse into a parking spot! to be honest this should have been done years ago when you consider that William street is surrounded on 4 sides by carparks, Arthurs Quay and Howleys Quay at the bottom, Thomas Street at the right, Smyths at the left and Summer street at the top. The update is long overdue and I think you'll find that most people on here will agree that William street is one of the biggest eyesores in the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

William Street is one of the ugliest streets in Ireland, firebombing it would be an improvement.

Not sure what you have against the city redevelopment Clare-Gunner, I live in the city and I'd rather parks than what's there currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The daft traffic light at the Hilton hotel,before you hit Sarsfield bridge.The best traffic blocker yet:mad:

Whoever designs this obviously has not walked around this new town in the middle of the night.They have created a muggers paradise with all the blind spots and recessed doors.

Agreed on both counts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Yeah cause if somebody wants to mug you, the won't be able to now is it.
    All it takes is a bloody alleyway to mug somebody, and if you walk that street at the moment then you'd realise that it's full of dark alleyways and recesses.
    Just like every street in every city and town in the country.

If anything this is gonna make mugging more difficult, as the whole strand is going to be lit up a hell of a lot better than it is at the moment!

But no, why should you look at the facts when you can just make broad generalisations!

The upgrades on William St. are deffinately needed.
    The upgrades on Clancy and O'Callaghan strands will be much appreciated, and make the whole area, if anything, safer.
    Do you have much experience of the "non used" cycle lane on Childers road, as I live in the area, and every time I walk the road (every weekday on my way to work), I see it used all the time!

for once in your life, will just try and see the glass as being half full!

I'm sick to my teeth of some peoples attitudes.
    For years all I've heard is people b***h about there being no improvements done in Limerick.
    Now that the whole city is getting a make over, all ye do is b***h about it being changed!

You talk about the designers not knowing anything, well I suppose you do.
    You're such an expert that you can tell what's going to happen before it's even started, hell without even looking at the plans properly!!!

Stop jumping to conclusions about something that you obviously know nothing about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Through this thread i've just discovered the 'Aircraft and Aviation' forum on Boards.ie ...... I never knew it existed ..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

If anything this is gonna make mugging more difficult, as the whole strand is going to be lit up a hell of a lot better than it is at the moment!

The upgrades on William St. are deffinately needed.
    The upgrades on Clancy and O'Callaghan strands will be much appreciated, and make the whole area, if anything, safer.

Do you have much experience of the "non used" cycle lane on Childers road, as I live in the area, and every time I walk the road (every weekday on my way to work), I see it used all the time!

For years all I've heard is people b***h about there being no improvements done in Limerick.
    Now that the whole city is getting a make over, all ye do is b***h about it being changed!

Totally agree... I really dont understand people demanding change and improved services, then complaining that things are changing.

But seriously the city needs to buy or pay a company with a dozen or more trucks to tow all these cars that park illegally in the city - but more importantly on the cycle lanes. Saw a bike had to swerve out of his lane cause a car was parked there and got a thump of a car - the whole thing nerly caused a major crash!
    They need to build cycle lanes and bus lanes (2 ways) the whole strech into the city and make sure nobody parks were they shouldnt be parking!

But in the city centre itself they need to have cycle lanes flying around the place too. But widening footpaths is great - small footpaths really dont give a good feel to anywhere... bright new wide footpaths (well lit and decorated) is what the city centre needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I agree, people go on about how bad the city is but any attempts to change it are then criticised, what do people want?

Personally, i think the new bedford row/Thomas street development is excellant and walking down either strand you can see how disgracefully neglected they are. This is just another step forward into making Limerick a nicer city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement