Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attenuation change!!

Options
  • 21-06-2007 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I only have broadband for the last three months (Eircom 2Mb )and during that time The attenuation has always been 59/29. But last night I lost my connection for about ten minutes and when it came back it had changed to 55/29. Then tonight when I turn it on it shows 56/29. I'm about four miles from the exchange(Wexford).Is it changing for the better or the worst? And why is it changing at all?

Mickzer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

mickzer wrote:
    Hi All,
    I only have broadband for the last three months (Eircom 2Mb )and during that time The attenuation has always been 59/29. But last night I lost my connection for about ten minutes and when it came back it had changed to 55/29. Then tonight when I turn it on it shows 56/29. I'm about four miles from the exchange(Wexford).Is it changing for the better or the worst? And why is it changing at all?

Mickzer.

I have been looking at my stats recently and have noticed that my attenuation figure changes too, it dropped down to 49 last night from 51 but i thought this figure isn't supposed to change unless you move away/closer to the exchange??
    Also you say you have 2mb bb but what's it like with such bad attenuation figures and long distance from the exchange? The reason I am asking this is because today we ordered 2mb (upgrade from 1mb) as eircom said the line was fine for it even though I was given advice on another forum that my attenuation figure of 50 was too bad for 2mb??
    What figures do you get when you run the speedtest at:
    http://www.speedtest.net?

Also with attenuation the higher the figure the worse it is I think? So the lower the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Hi Rc28,
    I just tried it now and I got this:
    143594080.png
    Actually , that's a little better for downloads and a lot better for uploads than I was getting, so maybe they improved it a bit! (Here's hoping).

Mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

OK,It's gone down to 55/29 again now.
    Also did another test at 55/29. Not a lot of difference that I can see:

143644905.png

Mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I'm no expert, but I think it's very normal for those figures to jump around a bit - the combination of cheap modem electronics not giving an exact measurement and changing physical conditions on the line will likely affect it.

Advertisement