Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems on new build

Options
  • 21-06-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I have got most of it working but the cd drive and hard drive are not being read, the bios said no ide drives being loaded, they have no power either, the cd tray won't open..

The power supply and hard drive and cD drive are all new

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How have you hooked them up to the PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ilovedesign

yeah they both are hooked up to psu and ide cables and jumpered master on ide 1 and ide 2...im seriously confused, i could swear everthing is done as in instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

yeah they both are hooked up to psu and ide cables and jumpered master on ide 1 and ide 2...im seriously confused, i could swear everthing is done as in instructions

Change power rails that you are powering the drives with.

Might be a dead power rail or two if you are unlucky.

What PSU did you buy? (Brand and wattage)

500W Jeantech, its from compustore, guessing powerrail is the 4 pin connectors in one flow????

They fit perfectly with yellow facing outside and red facing inside. is that right, i.e yellow wire is on right and red is on left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And there in may lie your problem. Jeantech psu are incredibly ****. The ammount i have bought that were dead out of the box is unbelievable !

• Advertisement

I think its defintely a power issue.....because the cd tray won't open and has no power in it......

I took a photo...is it in the right way...it won't fit in the other way...

I think this should nearly be stickied as an example of why people should not skimp on PSUs.

Seasonic, Tagan........Corsair are all quality brands.

thx for info.... i didn't know it was cheap brand, not a professional, but everyone thinks it sunds like a psu problem....funny thing is, i this is my second computer ot build, still a amateur, but been held up as teh psu wasn't working so this is the replacement one as the first one didn;t work at all! looks like this one is broken too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just put of curiosity, do you have a molex ( the white thing plugge dinto ya dvd drive ) spare, or running something else like a graphics card that works? If so swap them around. Also, take out the dvd drive and stick it in a friends, or your second pc if you have one, and see if it works there, just to be sure its not a dead drive.

A broken hard drive and optical drive? Hmmm...where is Timans? I'm going with PSU, so by default he has to pick the broken optical drive option....any objections?

• Advertisement

The hard drive was jumpered to select rather than master and as a result no power was going into either of the drives....

thanks for your help everyone.

Advertisement