Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a camper a camper?

• 21-06-2007 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice here and a few links if anyone knows them, Google does not seem to be able to help me or myself and google dont talk the same lingo.

I'm going to buy an early 90's VW transporter, quite probably a panel van that was used by a trades man and convert it to a camper. This will probably take a while but thats ok.

At the moment my main concern is sourcing info on what the van must be like in order to be classified as a camper for both Tax and insurance. I can't find this info through google.

I am aware that there must be 1.6m clearance inside (might be 1.9m) but i want to find out what else is required.

I hope to get a panle van, knock out a panel and fit a window, then put in a bed come coich and foldable table and it should be good to go for september. The other things can be done next year. Ill bring camping gear for cooking etc.

if you can be of any help it will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Any other forums I could try??

ThHanks folks

happy camping

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The "LAW"
    "'motor caravan' means a vehicle which is shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioners to be designed, constructed or adapted to provide temporary living accommodation which has an interior height of not less than 1.8 metres when measured in such manner as may be approved by the Commissioners and, in respect of which vehicle, such design, construction or adaptation incorporates the following permanently fitted equipment—

( a ) a sink unit,

( b ) cooking equipment of not less than a hob with 2 rings or such other cooking equipment as may be prescribed, and

( c ) any other equipment or fittings as may be prescribed;".

There are a lot of if's, but's and maybe's ...best ask your local VRO office about the guideline in writing and hold them to it once you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The Revenue's VRT instruction manual is available to download here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/services/foi/s16_2001/vrt_ins.htm

It doesn't seem to have too many answers however.
    You also need to bare in mind that if you convert a vehicle to a camper you will need to have it accessed and pay VRT on it. I think it's still 13% of the Irish value.
    There is a chap called Tom Turner, Carraigh, Birr who has been converting vans for years, He might be able to get you some info/parts for conversions.

Advertisement