Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.C. Fraud.

Options
  • 21-06-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping somebody could give there opinion on this. Basically Today i had a voice message, after missing a call (Dublin number),and the message was from "Olive" reporting to be with A.I.B. and was in relation to a routine security check on my Visa and i was to ring her back on a different Dublin number.

So rang the number she gave and was speaking with "Jenny" explained about the voice message, oh right she said can i have your C.C. number, Being a bit cautious, i said are you sure i should be giving my number over the phone like this?.She seemed to understand and then suggest i ring the phone number on the back of my C.C. so as to be sure it was A.I.B. Fair enough i said i'll do that.

So phone call number 2 to Niamh, A.I.B. number, explained about the voice message and the subsequent phone call, she then took my details C.C. number, expiry date, name and address, but then she asks for my D.O.B. and home phone number, which i answer correctly only to be told that's not what we have on file here.Baffled i repeat my answers (thinking she heard me wrong) only to be told again, no that's not what we have on file.So obviously she can't continue till i give the correct answers.I then tell her about an incident about 5 months ago when i couldn't log in to internet banking because of exactly the same incorrect details, which i sorted out by going to the bank and changing my details there (apparently that error was the banks fault). She suggests i go to my local branch with photo I.D. and correct the details in person.This is fair enough as i could be anybody chancing my arm.This was 4.10pm so obviously as bank is closed so it will have to wait till morning.

Anyway about 5 minutes after the call, the demons start going off in my head. "what if "they're" (bad guys) using your card now" etc. etc. So curiosity (fear) getting the better of me i decide to ring the 1st number again.Get on to another girl, again explaining what was after happening.So she then asks "OK Mr. xxxxxxxxxx can i have your C.C. number" and without a seconds thought (my head is in a spin at this point) i blurt it out, she then asks the same questions as the 2nd call (Niamh) and again D.O.B. and home phone number "do not match what we have on file". I again explain about the incident 5 months ago. She seemed to understand my situation, and i ask her could she please explain about "the security check". She tells me that A.I.B. are after receiving a list of C.C. that are after been compromised, she doesn't know how they have been compromised i.e internet hacking or cloning in a shop.She suggests i order a new card and block my old one. I agree to this and it's been sent out to me.

Now have i been had, how could my card have been compromised? I don't have the card along time,(6-9 months) and i don't use my card alot. i don't use it on "dodgy sites" (before anyone asks :D ) Just looking through my statements, Dell, CD.wow, Shaws, TK max, I-tunes, Elverys, Currys etc etc. are the shops and online stores i've used. Just wondering did anyone here get a similar phone call?

p.s. sorry about the long post, and cheers to anyone who reads it in full.

Thanks in advance.
    Jean Claude

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I think one of the credit card companies was compromised a few months back as I remember friend had to get a new card in somewhat similar situation to what you described but not as many different calls.

If the credit card company has been compromised they not likely to admit how it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

There was a reported pronblem with TX Max, some how there security system was compromised, i think that the irish operation wa ok, ut you cant be too careful.

hope everything works out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Firstly thanks for the replies.
    McSpud wrote:
    I think one of the credit card companies was compromised a few months back as I remember friend had to get a new card in somewhat similar situation to what you described but not as many different calls.

If the credit card company has been compromised they not likely to admit how it happened.

As regards to the amount of phone calls, it would have all been done in one call, only for my paranoia :D . I suppose your right, C.C. company are hardly going to admit how they were compromised.
    Enright wrote:
    There was a reported pronblem with TX Max, some how there security system was compromised, i think that the irish operation wa ok, ut you cant be too careful.

hope everything works out ok

Yeah i was thinking about Tk Max, but as you correctly state that was the overseas (U.S. i think) more than here.

Well all i can do is go to the bank in the morning, nothing i can do about it now, and hope for the best. *fingerscrossed* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

It was TX Maxx in the US, but apparently the UK & Irish branches were in the same system.

I got the same call from AIB and they sent me out a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

just an update, for anybody who cares..:D . Went to my local branch yesterday morning, was told the phone call i received was because my D.O.B's didn't match somewhere in the system.I'm guessing the D.O.B. on my bank account didn't match with my D.O.B. in my C.C. account.They were just being on the safe side, better be safe than sorry i suppose, so new card is on the way:). Plus no unauthorised transaction was on my card.thank God.

Anyway all worked out, but this is the second time something like this has happened, 1st time was with internetbanking.(see original post) just how could this have happened, TWICE,:confused: i'm racking my brain as how somebody could change my D.O.B. on two separate occasions, and two different forms of banking, i have internet banking about a year longer than my C.C. Just coincidence????? what are the odds of that.

The best i could come up with was that when i went in the 1st time(internet banking) and after the Bankteller had corrected the details i asked him how this had happened, the reason he came up with is that another customer with the same name opened/had an account and my page was opened when his details were entered,or vice versa(not what you'd expect from a bank, TBH). So if that is the case, will this person now get a "routine security check" phonecall and change back the details again.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement