Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No place for the cat

Options
  • 21-06-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

We have a cat for the last 6 years,I wont call her a pet as she lives mostly out doors and only comes by every couple of day's to be fed.

She is not very tame, last year when she broke her pelvis I brought her to the vet and at the end of the ordeal she was the least injured of the 3 of us.
    She bit,scraped and scratched us even though she was half dead.

I could go on but I want to get to my point,which is,

We are moving,rural area to a city.
    There is no way she will adjust so what do I do.
    There is no neighbour here who we can ask to look after her and she wont last long if we bring her.

Advise please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Is she spayed? Being semi-feral can be a plus if you are looking to rehome her to a farm maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Yes she is,

She is a crap hunter,she never brings home mice.
    Think she is too slow since the injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Perhaps catch and put to sleep, she may have some arthritis creeping in which would account for the slowness.

it would be the solution but as she is still
    eating and getting around I thought
    no vet would put her down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dcm

Maybe if i put you to sleep that would be a solution.

• Advertisement

dcm wrote:

Not helpful at all,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dcm wrote:

Yeah, what the hell is that supposed to mean? The OP clearly has the cat's best interests at heart.

Have you tried to find a rescue space for her? Good cat rescues take feral/semi-feral cats and often have places for them, especially if already spayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Where did you get the cat? I'm just wondering if she found you or if you found her. If she was raised to be feral then she might be able to make it on her own, she might even adopt another family.

G&T wrote:
    it would be the solution but as she is still
    no vet would put her down.

They will if you explain why, if they refuse they should not be practising as a vet. The truth is she is slowing and eating what you are providing, she may not be able to make it on her own as she can`t hunt and other healthier cats may push her out if tries a new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

"it would be the solution but as she is still
    no vet would put her down."

Why don't you ask a neighbour to feed her occasionally? Buy them a big supply of food. You seem disappointed that "no vet would put her down". It's an awful shame that people are willing to kill healthy animals just because they are inconvenient to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Par72 wrote:
    "it would be the solution but as she is still
    no vet would put her down."

Why don't you ask a neighbour to feed her occasionally? Buy them a big supply of food. You seem disappointed that "no vet would put her down". It's an awful shame that people are willing to kill healthy animals just because they are inconvenient to them.

As the OP said they live in a rural area and
    G&T wrote:
    There is no neighbour here who we can ask to look after her
    so I think that has already been looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Apologies, I didn't read the post correctly. Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Perhaps catch and put to sleep, she may have some arthritis creeping in which would account for the slowness.

no decent vet will put a healthy animal to sleep - why would they

there is an animal shelter in almost every town - put her up for adoption thats where we got 3 of our 4 cats

doctor evil would you suggest the same for our older folk?

no decent vet will put a healthy animal to sleep - why would they

there is an animal shelter in almost every town - put her up for adoption thats where we got 3 of our 4 cats

doctor evil would you suggest the same for our older folk?

The OP has stated that the cat is slowing down, OP also stated that the cat broke its pelvis which could explain why it is slowing down ie arthritis.

It is a dam sight more responsible for the OP to have the animal put to sleep than to just abandon it to a lingering fate (unable to rehome, unable to hunt). Shelters should be used for neglect cases, not for those who don`t commit them selves to the final responsibility. A good vet is realistic, they are not mamby pamby up in the clouds. Would you be against a pregnant cat being spayed?, because that is what is done a lot of the time.

By comparing the OP situation to that of the elderly (euthanasia/right to die?, neither here nor there in this case) you have lost all merit in your argument.

Shelters should be used for neglect cases, not for those who don`t commit them selves to the final responsibility.

You obviously have no idea re the rescue situation. At least half of the dogs/cats in rescue were handed in by members of the public and in most of those cases it is their own animal.

Advertisement