Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need scope mounts

Options
  • 21-06-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Got new scope recently and I thought the mounts on my tikka would do but it turns out that the new scope is 30mm and the rings are only 25.

So I need to get new ones, should I just get the Sako Optilock high rings in 30 mm? If so does anyone know a good online source for them

Veg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

have you tried this place?

http://www.thegungallery.ie/acatalog/Scope_Mounts.html

Don't know where you live .... I got 30mm Millett rings for €107.00 for my last scope. Found them excellent as they were specific to my .223. BTW, what scope did you get?

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Nightforce 12-42x56 its a deadly piece of kit and they have a big one page warning in the manual that scares me silly as it says using cheap mounts voids the warranty.

so if I could get away with sako rings I'd be delighted but cant find them anywhere online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Vegeta wrote:
    Nightforce 12-42x56 its a deadly piece of kit and they have a big one page warning in the manual that scares me silly as it says using cheap mounts voids the warranty.so if I could get away with sako rings I'd be delighted but cant find them anywhere online

I agree, having re looked at that webpage link they are very cheap rings. I, for peace of mind, went for the expensive ones for my .223. I have since changed my scope since and gone back to 25mm mounts, Milletts again for peace of mind. They are solid on the gun. Have not needed to re zero yet.....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Vegeta wrote:
    Nigbig one page warning in the manual that scares me silly as it says using cheap mounts voids the warranty.

Whats it say on the manual ?
    Thought Brian in Galway said it was an unconditional gurantee on
    the scope providing its not mis treatment from the owner/user ?

~B

basically it says only use aluminium mounts if you are shooting bench rest or with light recoiling rifles

other wise use mil spec steel ones for field or high recoiling firearms (guessing it means military there)

"Under no circumstances do we recomend the usage of turn in style rotary/dove tail ring and base designs, especially those equipped with windge adjustment"

I think the Sako fall under that category though so I am a bit confused by it all really

anyway please suggest suitable mounts that will fit rifle and scope.

I looked at the Nightforce mounts but they remind me of the **** ones on my CZ. The Sako Optilock really fit the Tikka rifle like a glove so i think the high 30mm rings with a bit of screw locking glue for the ring to base screws would be a winning combination. Just got to source them now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

www.gunaccessories.com will ship to Ireland, and carry Leupold, Millett, and Burris (among others)-
    http://www.gunaccessories.com/Scope-Mounts/index.asp

Brownells do Warne and Leupold rings to suit Tikka/Sako-
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catsearch.aspx?c=1879&p=4805

My NightForce is clamped to the TRG with Sako's Optilock rings, and I have absolutely no reason to criticize them in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Optilocks, get them and stop worrying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I recently bought mounts for my Anschutz 1710 from BKL. Usually when I put mounts on this rifle I have to put a couple of shims under the back mount to get the crosshairs more or less centred. This time I used the lapping tool fron Sinclair and found that indeed the mounts were not 100% level. After doing the lapping I didn't need any shims.

johngalway wrote:
    Optilocks, get them and stop worrying ;)

Yeah I want the optilocks but as I have the bases already all I want is the high 30mm rings, and somewhere cheap to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yep, stick with the Optilocks.

Pity they don't do offset inserts like the Burris Sig Zees - you'd have 10/20MOA options for 600+ yard F-Class etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement