Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man arrested over murder?

• 22-06-2007 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Someone just told me it was on the news. A man is due to appear in court over the murder of Meg Walsh, who was killed in the city last year. Anyone else hear about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭jmcc

DoubleJoe7 wrote:
    Someone just told me it was on the news. A man is due to appear in court over the murder of Meg Walsh, who was killed in the city last year. Anyone else hear about this?
    According to RTE,:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0622/walshm.html

As the matter is now before the courts, it would be best not to comment on this. (Mods - lock the thread.)

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jmcc wrote:
    As the matter is now before the courts, it would be best not to comment on this. (Mods - lock the thread.)

I'd agree, best not to start a big "I know somebody who knows of him and he's scum" type of thread...thread reported

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

He has been identified as the prime suspect: John OBrien. It was just discussed on the radio, he has appeared before the courts and has been charged with murder (in an unkown location). If I heard it correct, he is being transfered to a prison in Cork to re-appear in court at some other date, but apparently they will be making a bail request.

(Source: WLRFM)

Dont see any harm in discussing the results of the case as it goes on, seeing as he is formally identified and charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

yeah but as internet forums get more popular it is open for someone to argue that the jury has been influenced by something they read on an internet forum, as there is a reasonable chance that at least one member of the jury is a member of boards or another forum discussing waterford

in the interests of justice for the deceased and her family i feel this matter shouldnt be discussed any further than what was said in the media (which itself goes too far sometimes, not necessarily in this case). Anything further would be unnecessary and just "gossip" in my opinion. Whilst i admit i am interested in this case and i realise a thread would be very popular i do not feel it is worth the risk of a potentially catostrophic result of a case collapsing. It could only take one post to do this, and mods dont always delete these immediately

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yeah but as internet forums get more popular it is open for someone to argue that the jury has been influenced by something they read on an internet forum, as there is a reasonable chance that at least one member of the jury is a member of boards or another forum discussing waterford

in the interests of justice for the deceased and her family i feel this matter shouldnt be discussed any further than what was said in the media (which itself goes too far sometimes, not necessarily in this case). Anything further would be unnecessary and just "gossip" in my opinion. Whilst i admit i am interested in this case and i realise a thread would be very popular i do not feel it is worth the risk of a potentially catostrophic result of a case collapsing. It could only take one post to do this, and mods dont always delete these immediately

Fair enough I guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Agreed. This is one area where we'd be well advised to shut our mouths, self-censorship and all that.

After all, this is a lot more serious than NTL broadband speeds or Brendan McCann...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement