Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what subjects are you doing for leaving cert??

• 22-06-2007 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

im doing ....

English(h)
    Irish (O)
    Maths(h)
    French(h)
    Physics(h)
    Chemistry (H)
    Economics (H)
    Applied Maths (H)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

English (H)*
    Irish (O)
    Maths (H)*
    French (H)
    History (H)*
    Physics (H)*
    Chemistry (H)*
    Applied Maths (H)*

*Subjects I plan to use for points.

I'll probably hate English for the simple fact that its entire basis is dumb. I don't care about plays written in a dead language that has no relevence today. I mean, does this mean we should learn Irish poems in Old Irish like plays in Early Modern English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

irish
    english
    maths
    physics
    french
    applied maths
    DCG (design and communications graphics,like old tech drawin course, but with computers more)

all higher level, seems like we have some applied mathamathicians here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

irish
    english
    maths
    spanish
    physics
    chemistry
    biology
    accountancy
    economics
    business

im doin 4th year => which is why im doin so many subjects!

o, nd i plan 2 do applied maths in 5th year then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Irish
    English
    Maths
    German
    Music
    Economics
    Business

Will probably do pass maths, hons everything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    History
    Geography
    BizOrg or was thinking of taking up Home Ec

Higher everything except Maths [Might have to do Foundation :(]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

doing ty , but was going to do:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Business
    Accounting
    Geography
    [all honours except irish,and possibly maths]
    cause im doing ty im gonna do applied maths this year and see how it goes.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Irish
    English
    Maths
    French
    Geography
    Business
    and either Art or Music depending on my results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

I'm doing:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business or Accounting
    [all HL]

I'd love to try applied maths cos maths is something im good at but at the moment its not available in our school and i dont know if its worth doing a class outside school? Any advice on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

CiaraBelle wrote:
    I'm doing:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business or Accounting
    [all HL]

I'd love to try applied maths cos maths is something im good at but at the moment its not available in our school and i dont know if its worth doing a class outside school? Any advice on that?

your not doing physics so its kinda advised that you are doing physics aswell i think, its the mathamatical side of pyhsics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    German
    Japanese
    Religion
    Chemistry
    Music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Piste wrote:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    German
    Japanese
    Religion
    Chemistry
    Music

Japanese for the leaving? Where can you do that? The only Japanese I know is from doing Karate for 6 years.

You can do religion for the leaving aswell? Thats cool.

Whatever happened to the good old geo and bio?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

CiaraBelle wrote:

aye ive been told it helps ye a lot with pychics so im gonna do it in ty and if i get on okay then do psyhics for leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Aye the mechanics section of physics (about.. 8 chapters or so if I recall) is basically just simpler applied maths with a bunch of experiments and definitions. Easy!

cork*girl: according to statistics, music is considerably easier to do well in than art... I'm doing both of them but most likely shan't be using art for points!

JSK 252 wrote:
    Japanese for the leaving? Where can you do that? The only Japanese I know is from doing Karate for 6 years.

You can do religion for the leaving aswell? Thats cool.

Whatever happened to the good old geo and bio?:D

Yeah I'm doing a pretty weird mix of subjects for the leaving :)

I do Japanese outside school in St. Michael's college.

Religion has only been an LC subject for about 3 years I think, looks interesting enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

English
    Maths
    Irish
    Grography
    Physics
    Biology
    Design + Comm's Graphics

Piste wrote:

Religion has only been an LC subject for about 3 years I think, looks interesting enough!

At least you are doing chemistry!

Tell me, why are you doing 9 subjects?

By the way for everybody else Im doing:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Geography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

All higher level (but I probably will have to drop to pass maths or won't be able to use it for points at least :( );

English
    Irish
    Maths

French
    German
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Music

I'm doing music outside of school in the RIAM, really want an A1 and with work and effort the RIAN should get me that.

Tis odd that I'm doing physics and chemistry considering the only science based jobs I'd really be interested in are zoology and radiography.

I was going to do nine subjects, classics being the extra one for the points, but that'd probably work against me in the long run considering I'd be doing just so many subjects then alongside higher level maths.

Do you not need Biology to do Zoology?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

There's no specific zoology course in Ireland, only Zoology in Belfast, I'd have to do a general science degree. I'm kind of starting to think I might change from physics to biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Piste wrote:

If you like philisophical / theological ramblings then it is the subject for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Have I missed something? When do we decide on these subjects???:confused:

Conor108 wrote:
    Have I missed something? When do we decide on these subjects???:confused:
    Eh... well if you're going into 5th year you should've picked them already. So you can, like, get your books and stuff...

If you're going into TY then you'll probably decide at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Oh good! was worried there for a sec:)

JSK 252 wrote:

Fo' the lulz
    man, fo' the mo' fo' lulz

Wel I have no idea why I took up Japanese, I suppose I really like languages and it's so different from french/german/english/irish/italian that it seemed kinda cool.

I suppose I have a bit of a better reason for doing music, I do singing in the DIT and when you take a practical music class there you have to take musicianship or JC/LC music. Seeing as I'd be doing a music theory class anyway it made sense to do it for the Leaving Cert and maybe get some points out of it. Also 50% is the practical which means less pressure for study.

Also I'm not doing any subjects where you have to learn off huge blocks of text, I like languages and find them easy to learn so I'l enjoy english/irish/french/german/japanese. There's a lot of thinking in Religion and freedom for expression from what I can see, and it looks very interesting cos there's a lot of history there too. The only one I'm a bit worried about is Chemistry cos I've heard mixed things about it!

JSK 252 wrote:

By the way for everybody else Im doing:
    English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology

Geography

Those two are meant to be notoriously hard. Just from people in my year who do them. I don't know from personal experience.

Piste wrote:

Fo' the lulz
    man, fo' the mo' fo' lulz

Wel I have no idea why I took up Japanese, I suppose I really like languages and it's so different from french/german/english/irish/italian that it seemed kinda cool.

I suppose I have a bit of a better reason for doing music, I do singing in the DIT and when you take a practical music class there you have to take musicianship or JC/LC music. Seeing as I'd be doing a music theory class anyway it made sense to do it for the Leaving Cert and maybe get some points out of it. Also 50% is the practical which means less pressure for study.

Also I'm not doing any subjects where you have to learn off huge blocks of text, I like languages and find them easy to learn so I'l enjoy english/irish/french/german/japanese. There's a lot of thinking in Religion and freedom for expression from what I can see, and it looks very interesting cos there's a lot of history there too. The only one I'm a bit worried about is Chemistry cos I've heard mixed things about it!

I dont how Piste your going to cope with all those ****ing languages!!! I would crack up! Im more of a person who likes learning facts (chemistry, biology,geography) etc. It sounds like your a language/ arts type of girl so you wont have no problem with it!

Piste, Chemistry is probably the best science subject you can do for the leaving as it gives you a vast amount of career choices should you wish to persue a career in the scientific area. Not doing a science subject for the leaving reduces your career choice by 60%.

Im loving chemistry and we started the l.c course this year in 4th year and we have 10 out of the 28 experiments covered so its going to make 5th year a lot easier plus I have a fantastic teacher which is an added bonus!

If you like procedure/ logic/ understanding type learning then you will love chemistry!!!:cool:

On an other note:
    Why arent people doing lcvp? No work is involved and you get 70 points in the bag. What will you do if you **** up an exam in your leaving cert? You would be regretting not doing lcvp wouldnt you?

Perhaps LCVP isn't offered in most people's schools? : )

Anyways, you do >6 subjects for the LC just in case you screw one up. Though personally I don't see myself using Art for points at all... but sure, never know.

JSK 252 wrote:
    I dont how Piste your going to cope with all those ****ing languages!!! I would crack up! Im more of a person who likes learning facts (chemistry, biology,geography) etc. It sounds like your a language/ arts type of girl so you wont have no problem with it!

Piste, Chemistry is probably the best science subject you can do for the leaving as it gives you a vast amount of career choices should you wish to persue a career in the scientific area. Not doing a science subject for the leaving reduces your career choice by 60%.

Im loving chemistry and we started the l.c course this year in 4th year and we have 10 out of the 28 experiments covered so its going to make 5th year a lot easier plus I have a fantastic teacher which is an added bonus!

If you like procedure/ logic/ understanding type learning then you will love chemistry!!!:cool:

On an other note:
    Why arent people doing lcvp? No work is involved and you get 70 points in the bag. What will you do if you **** up an exam in your leaving cert? You would be regretting not doing lcvp wouldnt you?

Hehe actually I'd been thinking of PCAM (Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials) and you can get in that with one science and honours maths, so if I do decide on it at least I'll have the science! That's why I chose Chemistry.

Yeah I'll proba bly end up doing and arts-based course, I was thinking of music in the DIT actually. I chose allthose languages cos for me they take up much less time than long essay writing or spending ages figurig ou a maths problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Davidius wrote:
    I mean, does this mean we should learn Irish poems in Old Irish like plays in Early Modern English?

Good thing you aren't planning on doing honours irish then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Old Irish is not on the syllabus but one of the poems is an older version than is commonly used nowadays. It's a huge bone of contention among teachers whether Shakespeare & Older forms of English should be taught, seems that they will stay on the syllabus for quite a while to come from what the last few meetings I've been at have yielded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Jakkass wrote:
    Those two are meant to be notoriously hard. Just from people in my year who do them. I don't know from personal experience.

Yeah, people dismiss Biology as the 'easy' science subject, but it's SO BROAD. And people just say 'Yeah, I won't study genetics or plants'. Yeah good one, dismiss things guaranteed to come up and learn off the rest of the book?

I didn't do chemistry, the class was tiny in my school, you'd want to REALLY love it to do it though.

No-one has chosen the options I did, French, History, Geography, Biology. Gahh.

JSK 252 wrote:
    Not doing a science subject for the leaving reduces your career choice by 60%.

Ah it couldn't be by 60%....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Music
    Home Ec.
    Art

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

does it really reduce it by 60%??!

does it really reduce it by 60%??!
    I doubt it!

• Advertisement

Remember that 72% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot :)

indeed... the irony is that we can't even trust that statistic for it too was made up on the spot :)

No-one has chosen the options I did, French, History, Geography, Biology. Gahh.
    I picked History and Geography out of those. I do 8 subjects however, so I'm planning on dropping History in September to focus on my other subjects more.

Jakkass wrote:
    Ah it couldn't be by 60%....

Oh but it is!

When I did the Cognis Junior cert science quiz last year the quizmaster was Declan Kennedy ( The guy who wrote the Chemistry Live! book and teaches the H Dip Science teachers in UCC) Before the quiz began he gave a boring speech about how science is very important in todays world....etc. etc. which then leaded to leaving cert subject choices and he advised students to take up at least one science subject as it reduces your career choices by 60%.

My science also said this after going to numerous science teacher conferences.

My science teacher ( My science hahahaha) went to several conferences and was told this.

• Advertisement

Obviously the science teachers would be a bit biased. ¬.¬

Also, it seems unlikely that they took every possible career into account.

Its a generalisation and I dont see any reason why science teachers would be biased. Its just the truth.

Obviously the science teachers would be a bit biased. ¬.¬

Also, it seems unlikely that they took every possible career into account.

Just trust me on this one.:rolleyes:

Science teachers would be biased towards encouraging students to do science, I imagine.. due (you'd hope) liking it...

Science teachers would be biased towards encouraging students to do science, I imagine.. due (you'd hope) liking it...

Yeah they did a thing promoting the science subjects in TY in our school to show us what each one involved etc. Didn't make me any more interested in doing any :p

JSK 252 wrote:
    Oh but it is!

When I did the Cognis Junior cert science quiz last year the quizmaster was Declan Kennedy ( The guy who wrote the Chemistry Live! book and teaches the H Dip Science teachers in UCC) Before the quiz began he gave a boring speech about how science is very important in todays world....etc. etc. which then leaded to leaving cert subject choices and he advised students to take up at least one science subject as it reduces your career choices by 60%.

My science also said this after going to numerous science teacher conferences.

most courses aren't even Science related, explain that?

Jakkass wrote:
    most courses aren't even Science related, explain that?

If you dont believe me fair enough. Im just giving my valuable two cents worth to those who are not considering doing a science subject.

I'll believe the prospectuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Maths (H)
    Irish (O)
    English (H)
    Physics (H)
    Accounting (H)
    Business (H)
    German (H)

I got College and a future in accounting on the agenda hopefully. That was my dream job for years now and that's what I'm focusing on.

Edit and on the whole science matter, an excellent science teacher of mine said not to pick a science subject because it would give no relevance to alot of careers apart from scientists ect. I only picked physicscause I like it.

Tell me. Why do people on this thing dont like science subjects?

• Advertisement
Advertisement