Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access to a Netopia Router

Options
  • 22-06-2007 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I have a Windows XP Client with the following config:

IP: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (IP of Netopia)
    DNS: Eircom provided DNS Servers

This is patched into a LAN port on the Netopia

This is connected to a Honeywell DVR CCTV system - clients need to connect to this system via the Internet.

The Netopia Router has a Static IP 89.x.x.x

I need to connect on ports 400-4006 & Port 80 - I have setup Pin holes (Port forwarding) on the netopia for this.

At present, I cant ping the static IP addy, even with the firewall set to low. I cant see any option to allow/block ICMP traffic

In Router diagnostics, I can ping www.google.ie

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Is the DVR connected to the Netopia Directly?

Have you forwarded both UDP and TCP/IP on the required ports to the DVR IP Address?

THe DVR will need a static Address, and you will need to enter this and the gateway address in the DVR Network Menu(192.168.1.254 in this case).

Is your Client PC on the local LAN, with the DVR, if so can you connect to it locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

ST wrote:
    Is the DVR connected to the Netopia Directly?

Have you forwarded both UDP and TCP/IP on the required ports to the DVR IP Address?

THe DVR will need a static Address, and you will need to enter this and the gateway address in the DVR Network Menu(192.168.1.254 in this case).

Is your Client PC on the local LAN, with the DVR, if so can you connect to it locally?

The DVR nic (192.168.1.100) is patched into a LAN port on the Netopia.

Also, there is no gateway option in the DVR setup, for me to specify the netopia as the gateway.

I have setup a Static Nat from the Static Eircom Address to 192.168.1.100

I have also Defined Custom Services for the Required ports (4000-4006 & 80) for both TCP & UDP.

The client pc attached to the DVR can connect to the internet, but I cant ping the Static IP from Eircom, from the internet, and until I can do that, I dont think it's going to work.

I cant see any option in the netopia config to allow/block icmp traffic - so am stuck!

I've even turned off the netopia firewall (for a few seconds) to test the ping - still no joy.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Why is the ping so important in this? Doesn't the client connect using TCP or UDP? If so what difference does it make whether or not you can ping the server? (Could be I'm missing something here :))

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

koloughlin wrote:
    Why is the ping so important in this? Doesn't the client connect using TCP or UDP? If so what difference does it make whether or not you can ping the server? (Could be I'm missing something here :))

I can ping it from the internet now after turning firewall off.

I dont think it's all that nb, but the vendor says it is. He still cannot ping to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

niallo32 wrote:
    Also, there is no gateway option in the DVR setup, for me to specify the netopia as the gateway.

The client pc attached to the DVR can connect to the internet, but I cant ping the Static IP from Eircom, from the internet, and until I can do that, I dont think it's going to work.
    Usually, if a net device has no gateway settings or the option to set gateway settings, it means it can only talk to other devices on the local subnet. You won't be able to ping the DVR from the internet.

What does the client PC do, can it be setup as a server for the DVR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ogie56

Make sure you set the Netopia Firewall to low security for NAT to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Add the DVR to the DMZ. It cant catch a virus because its not windows and just password protect it! THats all I ever do and it works a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

As Ogie said... remove security.. clear sailing I believe is what netopia call it..

Advertisement