Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera Tino 1.8 vs Meriva 1.6

Options
  • 22-06-2007 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi

I need more space and have an opportunity to trade my 04 Opel Meriva NJoy 1.6 (54k) for an 05 Nissan Almera Tino SE 1.8 (21k) for €3,500 ish

Tino will do (allegedly) 36.7MPG. Is this true?

What d'ya all reckon? Good deal or not?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 AnFearDearg

Forgot to mention, my budget is €5,000 so if the Tino isn't the answer, can anyone suggest a car that will accommodate 3 car seats, has a big boot, and is reasonably reliable? Preferably an 'MPV' style as opposed to an estate.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭aston

Ford Focus c-max seems a good motor,plentyof room and reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you look at the Zafira?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bazz26 wrote:
    Did you look at the Zafira?
    A Zafira's really in the next level up as far as size is concerned. If he's looking at the Meriva and the Tino, then as someone else said, the Focus C-Max would be in the same bracket. Not sure about being able to take 3 car seats though. I take it you mean all on the back seat? In fact I'm not sure whether any car can do this, but it's not really my area of expertise or experience, I'm afraid :) I do have a C-Max though and am very happy with it. Plenty available on the second hand market as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alun wrote:
    A Zafira's really in the next level up as far as size is concerned. If he's looking at the Meriva and the Tino, then as someone else said, the Focus C-Max would be in the same bracket. Not sure about being able to take 3 car seats though. I take it you mean all on the back seat? In fact I'm not sure whether any car can do this, but it's not really my area of expertise or experience, I'm afraid :) I do have a C-Max though and am very happy with it. Plenty available on the second hand market as well.

Zafira is based on the Astra, C-Max based on the Focus and Tino based on the Almera. Both the Zafira and Tino are 7 seater, C-Max is 5 seater only. All these are in the next segment up from the Meriva which is based on the Corsa.

• Advertisement

I currently squeeze a car seat and 2 booster seats into the Meriva, which is really a car for 2 kids and not 3.

The Tino is only a 5 seater, like the C-Max, Scenic, Picasso et al. I don't really need 7 seats but do appreciate the fact that it would be handy at times. I've looked at the Zafira but but an 05 one is 18,000-20,000 as opposed to the Tino which I can buy for 14,000 and has the advantage of Nissan reliability. The only drawback is the 1.8 petrol engine and the fact that it may be hard to sell on in years to come. Boot size is also an issue. The Tino's is 440L whereas the C-Max and Picasso are 550L and the Zafira's approx 680L with rear seats not in use. Having said all that, beggars can't be choosers!

Kia Carens is another possibility, but it has 6 seats which means half the boot would be constantly in use!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bazz26 wrote:
    Zafira is based on the Astra, C-Max based on the Focus and Tino based on the Almera. Both the Zafira and Tino are 7 seater, C-Max is 5 seater only. All these are in the next segment up from the Meriva which is based on the Corsa.
    I really don't care what it's based on, it's the end-result that counts. I've recently driven (hired in the UK) one of the new ones and subjectively, at least, it felt much bigger than my C-Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tinos are good cars, but I wouldn't buy one unless it's very cheap. they're based on an old design, and the engine is too big for this country. They were never a good seller here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I currently squeeze a car seat and 2 booster seats into the Meriva, which is really a car for 2 kids and not 3.

The Tino is only a 5 seater, like the C-Max, Scenic, Picasso et al. I don't really need 7 seats but do appreciate the fact that it would be handy at times. I've looked at the Zafira but but an 05 one is 18,000-20,000 as opposed to the Tino which I can buy for 14,000 and has the advantage of Nissan reliability. The only drawback is the 1.8 petrol engine and the fact that it may be hard to sell on in years to come. Boot size is also an issue. The Tino's is 440L whereas the C-Max and Picasso are 550L and the Zafira's approx 680L with rear seats not in use. Having said all that, beggars can't be choosers!

Kia Carens is another possibility, but it has 6 seats which means half the boot would be constantly in use!

The advantage of a 7 seater, although I'm only familiar with the (Grand) Scenic but I assume the others are the same, is that you could take out the middle seat of the middle row and have 6 independant seats in 2 rows of 3 from front to back, which will have more elbow rrom and will allow you to put 3 (or 4 :) ) car seats in.

I'll rip off Renault for the illustration seeign as my mspaint skills wont match up :) . http://www.renault.ie/vehicles/scenic/scenic_design_seating.asp . Its the 7 seat view but I'm sure you can imagine it without themiddle seat in the row of 3 . As I said I'd assume any of the people carriers with individual seats can do the same. EDIT, you have to click "7-seat configuration"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

problem there is you have no boot.

• Advertisement

I was willing to go to 3500 with the 04 Meriva for the 05 Tino but couldn't do the deal so it's back to the drawing board. The garage wanted 4250 and came down to 3800 but alas, no joy. Yeah, Tino is good but a wee bit outdated and engine is big at 1.8l (although more economical than some 1.6l engines). I think it was good value to go up a year but I'm not paying any more than that.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Recommend the Picasso - though diesel is preferable engine to petrol (better driveability and economy).

Advertisement