Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 50 players in the world

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Where is Esteban Cambiasso?
    Where is Cannavaro?
    Where is Christian Chivu?

How is Ronaldo in the top 3?
    Why is Totti not higher?
    De Rossi is much better than the 'poor mans Roy Keane'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Posting shit in this thread, apparently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

iregk wrote:
    Was it not masch that gave away the free?

I'm just pointing out that its a tribute to say someone who was completely marked out of a game still managed to win a free kick for the 1st goal and set up the second.

I think Mash was great in the final, big mistake taking him off and potentially he has it to become one of the worlds best but not there yet. Still has a bit to learn. You cannot just take one match, say something like he had a better of "supposidly world number 1" and base everythign on that. Like I said a few weeks before that match Kaka destroyed in an international game, what does that say about Mash?

It says that he has the mental strenght to bounce back by playing a stormer against him in the CL final.
    Further proof that he will be one of the best.
    Similar to Danny Agger bouncing back after being mauled by Drogba in Stamford Bridge and then not giving Drogba a sniff in Anfield.

Phenomenal character shown by two of the best young talents in world football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Top class player, no doubt, but top 50 in the world? There are at least a dozen better central midfielders than him in world football, and probably a lot more.
    Where is Cannavaro?

Granted.
    Where is Christian Chivu?

Again, I'm a big fan, but given the sheer volume of top class centre backs around at the moment, he's hardly top 50.
    How is Ronaldo in the top 3?

Best player in the Premiership last season, by a mile - the league with 3 of 4 champions league semi-finalists. Consistently Portugal's best player. Something like 21 goals and 14 assists in all competitions, from the wing, a position he has revolutionised. Key player in United's run to the CL semi-final, best player against Roma. Hosts of player of the month/season awards. All of this in hugely hostile atmospheres. What does he have to do??
    Why is Totti not higher?

Why should he be? Who of Messi/Tevez/Ronaldo/Gerrard/Ronaldinho/Eto'o/Kaka/Buffon/Essien is he better than? I might give you Tevez, but then again Henry is probably better than Totti so it all evens out.
    De Rossi is much better than the 'poor mans Roy Keane'

True.

Serie A much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

1. Kaka
    2. Cristiano Ronaldo
    3. Lionel Messi
    4. Michael Essien
    5. Daniele De Rossi
    6. Ronaldinho
    7. Samuel Eto'o
    8. Francesco Totti
    9. Andrea Pirlo
    10. Petr Cech
    11. Wayne Rooney
    12. Didier Drogba
    13. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    14. Carlos Tevez
    15. Paul Scholes
    16. Xavi
    17. Diego
    18. Alesandro Nesta
    19. Ronaldo
    20. Thierry Henry
    21. Francesc Fabregas
    22. Rio Ferdinand
    23. Jamie Carragher
    24. Sergio Ramos
    25. Steven Gerrard
    26. Juninho Pernambucano
    27. John Terry
    28. Ricardo Quaresma
    29. Genarro Gatuso
    30. Dmitar Berbatov
    31. Robinho
    32. Javier Mascherano
    33. Iker Casillas
    34. Ricardo Carvalho
    35. Ivan Cordoba
    36. Fredi Kanoute
    37. Roberto Ayala
    38. Gabriel Palacio
    39. Iker Casillas
    40. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    41. Nemanja Vidic
    42. Robin Van Persie
    43. Mahamado Diarra
    44. Raul
    45. Klaas Jan Huntelaar
    46. Carles Puyol
    47. Philip Lahm
    48. Franck Ribery
    49. Benni McCarthy
    50. Deco

Thats my list (at the moment, Id be liable to change it in 5 minutes times).

IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Archimedes wrote:

Thats my list (at the moment, Id be liable to change it in 5 minutes times).

IMO

And should! Are you seriously suggesting that you think all 50 in your list are better than Gianluigi Buffon, the universally acclaimed best goalkeeper in the world?

Other players missing are Juan Roman(He did guide Boca to the Copa Libertadores) and Andreas Iniesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Top class player, no doubt, but top 50 in the world? There are at least a dozen better central midfielders than him in world football, and probably a lot more.

I'd say he's atleast one of the top 10 CM in the world maybe top 5. And he's better than alot of players in that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's right that Cannavaro isn't in it. A players greatness shouldn't be judged on the trophies he wins. Winning the Europe and World Player of the Year for captaining a World Cup winning side is crazy. What did he do the 11 other months of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What did he do the 11 other months of the year?

Won the scudetto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You can't ignore his Juventus career either. Ask Juve fans how good Cannavaro was for them. I had him backed at 150/1 for the Player of the World Cup after the Australia game so I was watching him closely. I doubt we'll see as good a world cup from a defender ever again. Italys defence was changed loads of times throughout the tournament too and it didn't affect him.

deise59 wrote:
    What did he do the 11 other months of the year?

Won a La liga tittle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cannavaro, and don't get me wrong, I love the guy, needs to be confident in his keeper. Great for Parma (Buffon), **** for Inter (Cesar), great for Juve (Buffon), great for Italy (Buffon), **** for....oh, there's a pattern here. :D

tdv wrote:
    I'd say he's atleast one of the top 10 CM in the world maybe top 5. And he's better than alot of players in that list.

Really? It's all a matter of opinion I guess, and maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but I'd certainly, for starters, rate...

Michael Essien
    Xavi
    Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard
    Cesc Fabragas
    Andrea Pirlo
    Gennaro Gattuso
    Juninho Pernambucano
    Danielle De Rossi
    Deco
    Frank Lampard (just for kicks)
    Clarence Seedorf

...as better than Cambiasso. I know he's very highly rated at Inter, and I'd agree that he's an underrated player generally, but meh.

nipplenuts wrote:
    Cannavaro, and don't get me wrong, I love the guy, needs to be confident in his keeper. Great for Parma (Buffon), **** for Inter (Cesar), great for Juve (Buffon), great for Italy (Buffon), **** for....oh, there's a pattern here. :D

Casillas is hardly a defender's nightmare now to be fair...

• Advertisement

Really? It's all a matter of opinion I guess, and maybe I haven't seen enough of him, but I'd certainly, for starters, rate...

Michael Essien
    Xavi
    Paul Scholes
    Steven Gerrard
    Cesc Fabragas
    Andrea Pirlo
    Gennaro Gattuso
    Juninho Pernambucano
    Danielle De Rossi
    Deco
    Frank Lampard (just for kicks)
    Clarence Seedorf

...as better than Cambiasso. I know he's very highly rated at Inter, and I'd agree that he's an underrated player generally, but meh.

He's better than De Rossi, Deco, Xavi & Lampard and he's more consistent than Seedorf,Gerrad & Pirlo.

But as you say its matter of opinion & I'd prefer him to the people I mentioned.

And yes he is very highly rated at Inter, he was awarded Inter's player of the season 2 years in a row.

Did anyone hear during the match last night, the players calling each other by their nicknames? It was amzing. El Cucho, El Cucho!!! In case some of you dont know it's cambiasso's nickname but judging by the knowledge of football in this group I suspect you might know.

Anyone think Cambiasso will be captain of Inter when Zanetti leaves?

He was not in the game last night though, he was too far on the left. Good to see Aimar score though.

tdv Cannavaro won Player of the Year last December but He won La Liga just last week!

If you say Cannavaro did actually play brilliantly as an individual at the WC then all well and good, he deserves to be in there. But argueing that he's one of the top 50 players in the world but he won trophies with his club or country just doesnt make sense. Say if England happened to win a World Cup this year, does that mean Rio Ferdinand should win the World Player of the Year!?! After all he would achieve the same as Cannavaro did last year...

OK, this debate started out from this:
    "What did he do the 11 other months of the year?"

So I'll put that question to you with regards John Terry, who I rate very highly. You haven't actually given your opinion on Cannavaro so what should have have been doing this past year that the rest of the list have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Shockingly, not a single Irish player made the list.

Although I would have Gary Breen in ahead of Rio Ferdinand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There are no top class Irish players currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    Shay Given - still world class.

deise59 wrote:
    tdv Cannavaro won Player of the Year last December but He won La Liga just last week!

If you say Cannavaro did actually play brilliantly as an individual at the WC then all well and good, he deserves to be in there. But argueing that he's one of the top 50 players in the world but he won trophies with his club or country just doesnt make sense. Say if England happened to win a World Cup this year, does that mean Rio Ferdinand should win the World Player of the Year!?! After all he would achieve the same as Cannavaro did last year...

Why did Cannavaro win WPOY? It's because he was the main man in the Italian side that won the world cup, was argubally the best player of the tournament & was great for Juventus for that season. Yes he did have a poor season as an individual for his standards.

But you can't just consintrat on how he played last season.

If you judged all them players in that list on how they played last season then you would not have Gerrad, Eto'o, Rooney, Ronaldo, Raul, or Henry in that list. But over the last few season them players have been great & so has Cannavaro.

The list is basically biased towards attacking players.

While I'm that subject if your going to put Raul in there then you should put Maldini in there aswell.

PHB wrote:

Paddy Kenny.

I'll be honest, I only watch a bit of Italian football, catch highlights on youtube etc but not nearly as much as english football. I'm therefore assuming that most of you watch more Italian football than I do, and if you say he did play to the absolute highest level ALL YEAR ROUND along with playing well at the WC, then he definately deserves the accolade. All I was disputing was if just winning trophies alone justifies the award.

In understand that the WC is a huge event and becoming the captain of the winning team is a major achievement, but I couldn't see Cannavaro winning that award if they didn't win the World Cup. Theres no doubt either that if Germany won the WC the award wouldve gone to Klose, Zidane is France won it and so on. Its just common practise. How often do Man of the Matchs come from the losing side? Not often. Even at home in the GAA All Stars, the winning county generally gets the most AS, even if some of the AS had some forgettable performances.

Like I said, if you feel he did play fantastically for Italy and Juventus and Real Madrid from January to December, then it's his award. But a runners up medal in Italy and Germany in the summer would've told a different story...

deise59 wrote:
    In understand that the WC is a huge event and becoming the captain of the winning team is a major achievement, but I couldn't see Cannavaro winning that award if they didn't win the World Cup. Theres no doubt either that if Germany won the WC the award wouldve gone to Klose, Zidane is France won it and so on. Its just common practise.
    Can I just ask what award you're talking about? :) Zidane won player of the tournament (Golden Ball) but Cannavaro deserved it by a mile.

that vote for player of the tournament took place before the final, which explains why someone on Italys team didnt win it

Advertisement