Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many spaces when typing?

• 22-06-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭

When typing, is one or two spaces after the full stop correct in English?

This refers to typing on a wordprocessor - pc.

Is there a rule book for this?

One or two spaces after full stop when typing? 22 votes

One space
    0% 0 votes
    Two spaces
    81% 18 votes
    Whatever you think looks good
    18% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Used to be two, but now one is acceptable also, although I still use two, Old Skool me !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Thank you for reply but I'm interested in what the correct way is now, not what it used to be.

Are both ways acceptable? Is either more correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i personally just use one

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

One, two was just used because it looked better on a typewriter. We do not use them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I use one space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

One.

Two is a historical legacy. It's like saying "ye" as a plural form of "you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talliesin wrote:
    Two is a historical legacy. It's like saying "ye" as a plural form of "you".
    You so aren't from Cork then.

Two spaces can be useful with certain fonts and situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The rendering software should adapt to the font without you doing so. Typists should press the spacebar to mean "a space goes here", anything beyond that is for a typographer to worry about, not the typer.

Talliesin wrote:
    The rendering software should adapt to the font without you doing so. Typists should press the spacebar to mean "a space goes here", anything beyond that is for a typographer to worry about, not the typer.
    If I am typing, say a letter or report (not a book or other document that would have a typographer) in Courier, all characters are hte same size and double spacing is not needed. If I was typing in Time New Roman with both the left and right margins justified there might be cases wher ehte word processor compresses to much text onto one line for me to be comfortable with, adding a double space might improve things.

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    If I am typing, say a letter or report (not a book or other document that would have a typographer) in Courier, all characters are hte same size and double spacing is not needed. If I was typing in Time New Roman with both the left and right margins justified there might be cases wher ehte word processor compresses to much text onto one line for me to be comfortable with, adding a double space might improve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

One space is perfectly acceptable in the real world... but I believe if you don't do two spaces in a typing exam you'll probably fail.

Advertisement