Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No of lessons

• 22-06-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi, new poster so go easy on me please :D

Have completed nearly 14 hours of driving lessons (each 2hr blocks) and instructor wants me to do nealy 10 hrs more

ive told him i cant afford it but he says he has loads still to do....

i feel like hes dragging it out as i havent done anything new for the last 4-6 hrs driving.....

has anybody had the same experience or can offer any advice

havent done any parking or reversing around a corner and have just started turnabouts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

It varies from person to person but most I know have had less than 10 1 hour lessons.

I had about 6 before he told me to just practice on my own (with a licensed driver :D)

How do you feel you're doing? Do you think you're good enough at the other stuff? If so, tell him. If he's got a problem with that, find someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Starting to drive you need usuall AT LEAST 18 hours.. all depends on how good you are really. Possibly have a lesson with someone new and see what they think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Everyone is different but here is my driving lesson History:

10 x 1 hr lessons with one instructor
    3 x 1 hr lessons with my Dad
    2 x 1 hr pre-test lessons

My own driving around without any instruction (about 50-60 hours). Up and down from Dublin to Tipperary, Maynooth to Liffey Valley, City Centre, Drumcondra etc.

Driving test - passed first time
    1 minor fault - Naas

Unless you are incredibly nervous or have a particular problem that you are consistently failing to address there should be no need to have lessons that go on and on. Is there something that your instructor keeps telling you you are not doing correctly?

How about booking a lesson with another instructor and asking them how many lessons they think you need? Of course, some instructors will always try to get more from you but I think most Irish School of Motoring ones are fairly honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Ive driven my own car without instructor knowing and feel that by now i can practise what ive done before i continue...or if i continue

i was nervous to start with but i feel like the good things i am doing are getting ignored while i only get told about the bad.....getting disheartned to be honest!!:(
    Is there something that your instructor keeps telling you you are not doing correctly?

cant think of anything major that im doing wrong....... little bit of cutting out but that comes with practise..(or so my instructor says)

Really dont know what to do now! :confused:

how important is being able to reverse around a corner....other than for the test????

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Claire_lou1983

Have completed nearly 14 hours of driving lessons (each 2hr blocks) and instructor wants me to do nealy 10 hrs more

i feel like hes dragging it out as i havent done anything new for the last 4-6 hrs driving.....

has anybody had the same experience or can offer any advice

havent done any parking or reversing around a corner and have just started turnabouts[/QUOTE]

I feel similar to you, I am a bit paranoid tat my instructor is only telling me im crap because he wants more money out of me. Although there is a chance I am just crap to be honest :confused:

Surprised you have not done reversing etc. manybe your instructor is not very good. Wouldnt hurt to take one lesson with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleMissLogic

To be honest, he is not the driving instructor for you. Im in the middle of learning to drive and I had used an instructor for 2 lessons. Now, he was lovely and whatever. But I never felt comfortable with him. I had lessons from my dad, my sister, boyfriends etc. But then I went for a lesson with one friend and he was fantatic. Never shouted. Praised me when I did good (this is important, i think you remember it easier then) and told me off if I ****ed up. But he was very encouraging and thats what you need. I think, get rid of this instructor. Especially if you think he's flaying you. Just get someone else. You have no commitment to this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

his just robbing you of money i had 3 one hour lessions and he told me to go out now and apply for my test and call back to him when i get the date for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Thanx guys.....have already spent 600-700 quid on lessons so i think its time to call it a day...,practise alone for a while and find a new instuctor

Can anybody suggest a good instructor??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Prokea

I am a driving instructor and I can safely say you are been ripped off by this instructor!Would definetly sugest you try out a new instructor and ask him to show you how to do the reverse manouver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Thanx guys.....have already spent 600-700 quid on lessons so i think its time to call it a day...,practise alone for a while and find a new instuctor

With the lessons you have done i would say you can drive.
    BUT your inexperienced! NOW there is noting wrong with that, I was not born a driving instructor i had to learn to, I do think you should change your instructor because of what you said in your post.

Things which you need to practice well practice, things you need to learn, you will learn! so don't worry, enjoy!

This may help!
    When driving try to deal with things/tasks one at a time.
    Moving off: is only moving off.
    Driving Straight: is only driving straight.
    Turning Left: is only turning left
    and so on, this makes it a little easier to deal with all the different things which pop up when driving.

Best Wishes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I had one lesson before me test and I passed first time. In saying that a few years before there was that much of a backlog the government gave out licences to people with them sitting any test :D How times have changed! I remember being stopped by AGS when I first started driving as my driving was erratic, I was well on it. They told me to be careful on the way home and sent me on my way!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaesus lads, this thread is two years old! Almost to the day! Please don't drag up old threads!
    Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement