Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MSL Dublin Service

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

So, pads, and a service (ehh 40k "service" is just oil and oil filter NOTHING else - apparently) on passat was around 600. Which was bad.

I think you need to have your fu*king sanity checked if you paid any garage 600 Euro for an oil change and brake pad replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

crosstownk wrote:
    That's an interesting comment. I am one of those fleet customers with hundreds of VWs & Audis on fleet and I use Belgard. I find them hopeless. I imagine they don't give a damn about anybody.

which begs the question: given that VAG are quite well able to produce some well attractive, but POS machines, and that subsequent dealings with the agent(s) are, as you describe, why in god's name did you/do you, buy them?

I'm advocating buy any other thing in particular, but if what you buy doesn't do the job, .........why buy it at all?

Speaking of warranties - given that the likes of KIA etc advertise v.long warranties, even if there is an issue with the car(s), surely the coverage offered would be at least, comfort?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nobber

Darragh29 wrote:
    Just a question... Why are you people all going to hugely overpriced, dreadfully inefficient, customer repelling dealerships that are literally financially raping you when you go to them???

There are some excellent independent garages out there, they charge a fraction of what these saps are charging and they actually appreciate your business and will give you much better service. Why give these people your business??? They don't even appreciate your custom, they may as well poke you in the eye after taking your money, going by the stories I'm hearing here.

Before someone replies with, "they have the diagnostics computer", or something like that, so does any independent garage worth it's salt. The day is long gong when you "have to bring it back to the main dealer to fix that", so why are people still putting up with this???

The fact is that independant garages do not, and will never have, the technology or software to compare to the main dealers. Particulary main dealers of german marques. There just too advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Quick Q lads - would you get your VAG serviced up the North? Any recommendations? I'd make the day trip up once a year if I got decent service as there don't seem to be many options in Dublin? Any other decent places outside of Dublin?

Also are VAG taking back the distribution in Ireland next year or something how does that work? Will it change anything in terms of servicing quality?

Quick Q lads - would you get your VAG serviced up the North? Any recommendations? I'd make the day trip up once a year if I got decent service as there don't seem to be many options in Dublin? Any other decent places outside of Dublin?

Also are VAG taking back the distribution in Ireland next year or something how does that work? Will it change anything in terms of servicing quality?

VAG have already got the distrubution licence for VW and AUDI. They also have the parts distrubution licence. However this will not affect MSL as they still control the individual garages. MDL ( MSL's parent company ) still exists but only as a distributor of Mercedes Bendz as far as im aware.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote:
    which begs the question: given that VAG are quite well able to produce some well attractive, but POS machines, and that subsequent dealings with the agent(s) are, as you describe, why in god's name did you/do you, buy them?

I'm advocating buy any other thing in particular, but if what you buy doesn't do the job, .........why buy it at all?

Speaking of warranties - given that the likes of KIA etc advertise v.long warranties, even if there is an issue with the car(s), surely the coverage offered would be at least, comfort?

True, but what KIA offer, as far as i know, is 7 years or 100,000 kms. which is all very well if your only doing small milage. Most german marques offer only 2 years but with unlimited milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

nobber wrote:
    True, but what KIA offer, as far as i know, is 7 years or 100,000 kms. which is all very well if your only doing small milage. Most german marques offer only 2 years but with unlimited milage.

In the UK you get 3 years warranty with your VW/BMW/Audi/Merc - it's an Irish thing that it's only two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yeah, the states have far better and less costly service, not that I have used it but talking to the guys over there it's different ballgame. They are replacing all sorts of stuff for free due to the 8 (10?) year powertrain warranty.

Yep, us paddies take it in the rump like men allright.
    Is there some point in making a collective complaint to VW Ireland?
    MSL don't care at all. VW care about their image, and perception is everything. Basically VW is a "semi" prestige car with REALLY bad cheapo type aftersales experience. Except that it costs a fortune.

And as for servicing the car up north ... why not go the whole hog and buy it new up there, paying whatever import duty needs paying? And get the 3 year warranty with better service? Would it be more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

But he clearly said he didn't want the work done - read his post.

They seem like a bunch of tossers there allright. Or maybe it's us that are the tossers who bring cars there!

I got a service done there last week, I really regret dropping my car in with them, but I was going away at the weekend and needed new pads on front, so got a service done too. I just didn't have time to do it myself and they could do it on a days notice (which TBH was good)
    So, pads, and a service (ehh 40k "service" is just oil and oil filter NOTHING else - apparently) on passat was around 600. Which was bad.
    When I picked up the car about 6 mechanics (?) were out the back, leaning on my car smoking, they were only chaps, SFA experience I'd say.

Yeah, car failed NCT this morning.
    1. Dipped headlight beam nearside (I think) high.
    2. Blown brake light.

I suppose it's possible that the brake light could go in the past 2 weeks.
    But the headlight beam didn't. I always thought a full service covered headlight adjustment. MSL told me this morning that, no, VW didn't structure it that way. They just check the headlights work, they don't check focus, and they had no one available to work on the car.

All seems a bit surreal to me.

I might just guesstimate the beam off a wall and have done with it.
    Brake light fixed - ashgrove interparts across from fire station have good prices for some stuff, and parts guy checked the light was working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Sorry to hear that TeaDrinker.

Anyone notice that "TommyM" hasn't posted anywhere/anything on boards since. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well folks, this is really amazing.. I regularly require parts for a Skoda Octavia . As we all know 99.9% of that stuff is identical to VW and Audi and the longest I've ever waited for anything with Phoenix on Prussia Street is a day and a half and if I rang at the right time ( before 11 am ) I've collected after 3 pm on the same day. The lad who runs the parts counter in there ( Paul most of the time ) could teach the cousins in the expensive setups a bit of a lesson so.. .

I should also mention that I bought the car there and except a small warranty job I have never had any work carried out by them still the service I receive is spot on.

So my advice : if you know what you need for A VW, Audi or Seat and it doubles up with a Skoda part -> Phoenix on Prussia street

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

nobber wrote:
    The fact is that independant garages do not, and will never have, the technology or software to compare to the main dealers. Particulary main dealers of german marques. There just too advanced.

That is completely incorrect.

Indy garages vary as regards the level of diagnostics they can do. Some, the minority, have no ability. The majority have enough ability to do maybe 80% of what needs to be done. A small few even have a higher ability level than the dealers partly because they are not restricted by the terms of a franchise.
    For example ask any VAG dealer to fit a used engine ecu to an immo3 equiped car, ask them to code a new key on the side of the road, ask them to fit a used instrument cluster. They cant do it. A few good indys can and will save a customer up to €500 by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^ 100% agree with Mr.D. A very odd time there can be an issue with the latest software for non franchise agents, but believe me, the suppliers of the software to indys don't be long sorting it out.

So my advice : if you know what you need for A VW, Audi or Seat and it doubles up with a Skoda part -> Phoenix on Prussia street

I've used Phoenix myself, both the Prussia St branch and the one in JFK - very helpful. But no use to you if your precious VW or Audi is still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The guys who run Phoenix Motors are friends of mine, and together have over 25 years of Motor Trade experience. When I worked with them in a main dealer they were always top of their game !

Nice to hear they still are !

Its actually unreal how poor the service is from MDL/MSL !

I was able to get steering parts, in advance of the NCT, for two of my cars over the counter in Swords Motor Factors last Friday. The main dealer still hasn't phoned me back !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nanto

Hi im new to boards so I dont know if im even posting this in the right place.I was wondering if anybody could give me any information about a car dealership. I am thinking of purchasing a car from Great Island Motors in Cobh Co Cork and was wondering what they are like to deal with.They are SIMI registered so surely they must adhere to a certain standard

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nanto wrote: »
    Hi im new to boards so I dont know if im even posting this in the right place.I was wondering if anybody could give me any information about a car dealership. I am thinking of purchasing a car from Great Island Motors in Cobh Co Cork and was wondering what they are like to deal with.They are SIMI registered so surely they must adhere to a certain standard
    Best off starting a new thread.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

nanto wrote: »
    They are SIMI registered so surely they must adhere to a certain standard

LOL - best laugh I had all day:D

Dont know anything about garage OP - they seem to have a few English imports recently though so check carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nanto

Anan1 wrote: »
    Best off starting a new thread.:)
    I will thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vag_mechanic

Hllo there everyone, I used to work at MSL pottery road as a motor mechanic for VAG, i can honestly say that half of th people here are talking out your a***s. I served an apprenticship there along side very competent colleges in there field. Yes we werent perfect, but if anyone is then by god there's something seriously wrong with you. There were the odd few jobs where things dont go as planned due to wear and tear on other parts which may lead to bigger problems, but overall i class msl pottery road as a top notch garage,. I can give bad points about the place in which it lacks, but more so good ones. Unless your a mechanic working on the cars your driving, you aint got a clue about the whats or wheres, as far as the sales men are concerned, i wouldnt waste my time with them, they'er the biggest liers of all, and worse they look you in the eye and do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Hllo there everyone, I used to work at MSL pottery road as a motor mechanic for VAG, i can honestly say that half of th people here are talking out your a***s. I served an apprenticship there along side very competent colleges in there field. Yes we werent perfect, but if anyone is then by god there's something seriously wrong with you. There were the odd few jobs where things dont go as planned due to wear and tear on other parts which may lead to bigger problems, but overall i class msl pottery road as a top notch garage,. I can give bad points about the place in which it lacks, but more so good ones. Unless your a mechanic working on the cars your driving, you aint got a clue about the whats or wheres, as far as the sales men are concerned, i wouldnt waste my time with them, they'er the biggest liers of all, and worse they look you in the eye and do it.

Compared to Agnews in Belfast/P&R Newry MSL havent a clue when it comes to the performance VAG cars. How long did it take ye to get a tool to change the oil in a DSG gearbox?? All ye are interested in is servicing 1.4 Golfs and charging these people a fortune.

Ad the above to really poor customer care and thats the reason why I go north

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

This thread probably started before your apprenticeship began:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cold winters

dont get me started on msl i,m dealing with park mtrs at the moment these guys' are main dealers they have all the up to date equipment and these wolly's dont know whats wrong with my golf they sold me they have had it three months now and still no contact from them and no car , i had to take a visit there to get any answers and not to my surprise i find my car damaged ,and then to be told it was like that when it came in, i'm disgusted the engine was in the back of my car in a million pieces, all they said was they were waiting on parts (dhl do there overnight express parts even there quicker than three months) volkswagen need to take charge here cause these guys are reckless & dont give a toss about customers once they have your money
    & are ruining the vw name

• Registered Users Posts: 1 E220JIm

Hi

In the summer of 2015 I purchased a 2012 E 220 from MSL Motors in Deansgrange. Lovely car with great spec and at the time they could not do enough for me.
    My NCT is booked in for next Tuesday so yesterday I brought the car to my local Mercedes Benz dealer for a Pre NCT test. They informed me that

1). The vehicle failed the parking brake test
    2). It needs rear break discs and parking brake shoes.
    3). It needs front brake discs and pads.
    4). The SAT Nav has not been updated in 3 years.

The local Mercedes Bens mechanic also informed me of the following. In his opinion
    A). Either the car was NOT serviced before MSL Deansgrange sold it to me.
    B). It was serviced and they did not notice that the brakes were nearly worn out.
    C). They noticed this but for some reason did not change the brakes.
    D). The SAT Nav should have been updated prior to any garage selling a car of this nature.

I contacted MSL Motors in Deansgrange about doing the jobs above as the car is a "Star Alliance" car and is still under warranty to this garage. I was given very short shift and was told that they WOULD NOT COVER THE SERVICE REQUIRED UNDER THEIR "warranty".

I would advise strongly that there are better dealers from which to purchased your car. Stay away from MSL Deansgrange if you want good customer service in the future.

E220 Jim

Trev C wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had any poor dealings with MSL in Dublin, in particular Pottery Road?
    I have had to deal with them a number of times in the past few months and have had nothing but problems with them.

Firstly i had an oil pump problem with an Audi TT back in February. Long story short, they took it in and said it would be ready in two days. Two days gone past, no contact from anyone at MSL. I called them, told it would be another day. This happened for the following 3 days, me having to call them. Eventually after a week and a half, i called them on a Friday to be told by the receptionist that the car was ready the previous day. I asked to speak to Audi service manager as was told it wasnt. He told me it wasnt ready. When i mentioned receptionist said it was, he came back and said, "oh my mistake, yes it is". Cant help but feel that somebody wanted to go for spin for the weekend or something. I am sure they would have better cars at hand but thats the impression i got. Cost me just under

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

You can use Consumer Issues if you want advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement