Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fast (or how slow?) should we go?

Options
  • 22-06-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Found the recent posts on maximum speeds really interesting - I would love people's opinion on the following. I am currently organising a charity cycle, mainly "leisure" cyclists taking part - only a small number of club cyclists. The event will be controlled with a lead car. What should our average speed be so that it isn't too boring for the more experienced cyclists and will be ok for the less experienced? I don't know most of the people taking part and while obviously you can make changes on the day I need to be able to estimate apprximate times of arrival at various locations. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Honestly, I'd say it would be very hard to find a happy medium. Why the need to keep everyone together?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

That's the dilemma, if we don't keep everyone together it could get very spread out and more difficult to marshal. Also at a few key points we want everyone arriving together, if at all possible. But I fully take your point - the Ring of Kerry, Wicklow 100/200 obviously let everyone go at their own pace - but they are doing to as individuals - this is more of a specific group all doing the same thing for the charity in question. It would be nice if the group could be kept together.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Have you considered using two cars, creating an A and B group so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

15 - 16mph, thats the speed the 50 or so riders went for the cystic fibrosis Munster 200 back in April. Bit frustrating for some of the race boys, but they should know they are there for a good cause and just get on with it. One or two went out the back, but seriously you can't wait for them if they are that slow. Have a sag wagon, throw them in a bus bring em to the next town, let them ride another bit and repeat until you get to the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The average speed for the Wicklow 100 is about 20 to 22 kph (12 /13 mph) over a slightly hilly course. The Wicklow 200 is about 3 kph faster, over a tougher course.

On flat ground and a short distance (say 50 km) my guess is about 25 kph / 15 mph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement