Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderbirds over Galway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

biko wrote:
    Now now, there there.

I think that's he's quite right in that. Unfortunate that it happened, but it could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

padi89 wrote:
    Id say there will be some big insurance claims there.
    I very much doubt it. Air shows are potentially dangerous and organisers always have to warn the public as such. The following was on the Airshow web site and I suspect in the brochure too:

"PERSONS ATTENDING THE SALTHILL AIR SHOW DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

yeh there won't be any insurance claims.. if you're dumb enough to get hit by a door then its your own fault xD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wompa1 wrote:
    I think that Niall O'Brochlainn guy was against the Airshow last year aswell when he was mayor...anybody else think he was a bit of a hypocrite being on the Argentinian warship in the Docks during the week? hmmmmm? The Planes are cool and generate great business for the city for the weekend.

What have you been smoking??? :D The Argentinean ship was a sailing frigate - did you not see the masts and sails? Calling it a warship is like calling the Dun Laoghaire-Holyhead ferry a destroyer.... :rolleyes:

Missed the whole airshow, practice days and all. Damn inconsiderate friends having their wedding the same weekend! :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

MenloPete wrote:
    What kind of mindless morons are you guys?
    These are jet fighters intended for killing people, not toys for amusing a few thousand open-mouthed yobbos.
    Time you grew up and smelt the burning flesh!

(Nothing personal, of course!)

...Ninety Nine red balloons
    Floating in the Summer sky...

Now someone pass me my SAM and switch on the radar jammer....

don't hate the player, hate the game dude!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

By all accounts the Salthill Airshow was a huge success, The Merlin Incident was unlucky but its not their first time something has happened at an Airshow anywhere and definately wont be the last.

FYI it was the A-10 Thunderbolts which stole the show for me!!:eek: :D :eek: I love the Warthog!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What have you been smoking??? :D The Argentinean ship was a sailing frigate - did you not see the masts and sails? Calling it a warship is like calling the Dun Laoghaire-Holyhead ferry a destroyer.... :rolleyes:

Missed the whole airshow, practice days and all. Damn inconsiderate friends having their wedding the same weekend! :mad: :D

I'm pretty sure it was a Navy Vessell...I'll do some research a biteen later after me dinner

ARA Libertad, Argentine Naval Vessel.

Just because its a naval vessel doesn't make it a warship. Navies also have hospital ships - they don't fire any missiles or launch any weapons - does that make them warships?
    A sailing vessel might have been a warship 150 years ago, but I don't think it would make much of one now. Can you imagine the laughs the Brits would have had if that turned up in the Falklands in '82! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

hey did anyone hear the annoucement at the end of the airshow. it said there was a ten year old brazilian boy missing well it turns out that they think he might be drowned at sea.

oh the argentinian ship had guns soo

• Advertisement

Well by that logic anyone with a shotgun would be a soldier....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Oman wrote:
    hey did anyone hear the annoucement at the end of the airshow. it said there was a ten year old brazilian boy missing well it turns out that they think he might be drowned at sea.

oh the argentinian ship had guns soo
    False Alarm .
    Back to the Airshow, bloody spectacular, The Blades were the best imo, but even the ****ty weather couldn't spoil it, it was a great success.Looking forward to next year.
    Turns out, the door the fell was extremely lightweight, could have been a lot worse, thankfully all three discharged from hospital.

Yeah, a friend was very close to where it happened, in fact he was filming the helicopter until just before the incident, and he said the door seemed to come down slowly, the wind seemed to catch it and blow it about a bit. Probably made of fibreglass or something... he saw one guy duck and cover his head and get hit on the back, but he said he was able to get up again afterwards

AFAIK The Majority of the Merlin is made up of Composite Material, extremely lightweight but super strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SuperMacs

Did you know that the RAF has an open door policy on recruitment?
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah I saw it coming down, literally floated down like a big leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

jeez, it's even on Break.com!

Advertisement