Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL & wireless as backup

Options
  • 22-06-2007 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

You'll probably have to either configure an old PC as a load balancing router, or else buy a fairly snazzy router which has 2 WAN ports and is able to do failover...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bazzjazz

A company I do some work for has Eircom ADSL installed and they want to get an alternative to run alongside ADSL for use as a backup broadband connection.

Digiweb have a wireless solution which suits, but the question I have is how best to configure this in the office so that both connections are active and they automatically switch from one to the other in case of a failure?

Currently, there is a router with an ADSL modem built in and about 5 PC's.

TIA for any pointers.

Barry

Thanks for the reply.

I did a search for routers and found a few Netgear ones in the 150 euro bracket which should do the trick. Load balancing, failover etc.

Thanks for the tip.

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

whats the router ?

I incorporated something similar a while back using Smoothwall and an old PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dlink have one too

google for "failover" which is what you call this form of backup ...or pay me to google for ya !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

Make sure you investigate the load balancing features on your device. Some routers mess up browsing sessions as they switch between backup and main lines.

• Advertisement

Advertisement