Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Back Into Diving - Resources?

• 22-06-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

My wife & I certified in '94 on the GBR and have subsequently done a little in various place abroad and in Ireland.

We bought our own fins & masks, but have always hired regs, BCD, instruments, etc, and have wetsuits that will do till we can afford proper ones.

Do many folk buy used regs/octos, instruments & BCDs? Or is it preferrable to buy new? Where do you guys buy your gear? Online? Irish shops?

What online resources do you guys use for dive-related info & news & opinions & reviews, etc.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Lots of people buy second hand gear, although people always say to me to buy a brand new reg since it has to be comfortable.

Place called Oceantec in Dun Laoighaire used to sell off all their school stock every year, but afaik it's closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I bought all my gear (Except for Suit & Bottle) from www.scubastore.com.
    They are very efficient and you get your order delivered to your door within 2-3 days.I would highly recommend them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Mark#1 wrote:
    My wife & I certified in '94 on the GBR and have subsequently done a little in various place abroad and in Ireland.

We bought our own fins & masks, but have always hired regs, BCD, instruments, etc, and have wetsuits that will do till we can afford proper ones.

Do many folk buy used regs/octos, instruments & BCDs? Or is it preferrable to buy new? Where do you guys buy your gear? Online? Irish shops?

What online resources do you guys use for dive-related info & news & opinions & reviews, etc.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Hey Mark,
    as with anything, you can buy good second-hand or bad, and good new or bad.
    I'd personally suggest getting in touch with one of the dive centres/schools/clubs here (either CFT/CMAS, PADI, etc) and at least getting a couple of dives in with these people. See if it's worthwhile for you to buy some more gear than you have.
    Then, if you still think diving in Ireland's for you, at least you have some contacts in 'the know' that can help you. Better than Ebay/BuyandSell unless you're VERY sure what you're getting.

RE Regs/BCD's, remember that your life depends on them. There's no problem with buying used gear, but be sure that it's been maintained properly.

Advertisement