Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband wireless wep not working

Options
  • 22-06-2007 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I have a dell laptop that for some reason will only connect to a wifi connection if there is no wep key, if i put a wep key on the wifi and login it will let me connect but when i give it the wep key will popup limited or no connectivity error.

When i specify the ip address: 192.168.1.33 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Defualt gateway: 192.168.1.254 (this is the ip of the router also). And i use the eircom dns server addresses: primary - 213.94.190.194 secondary - 213.94.190.236. It allows me to connect, no problems but when i go to browse the web im not actually able to connect to any websites or anything.

I felt it might have been something to do with the laptop, buggy windows or old wireless driver so i wiped the machine did a reinstall and put on the latest wifi drivers. This still didnt fix the problem and i now need to connect to a wifi in my business.

I bought a wifi card but accidently bought the wrong type and i have recently been giving back an old netgear wifi card that also wont fit the laptop that cost me a few euro so i dont want to run out and buy a new one.

I have also got software that comes with the dell laptop for connecting to wifi and the problem occurs when using this software aswell as when im using the standard windows wifi connection software.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

can you turn off wep on the wifi router and turn on wpa2 instead ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

yes, do you think this will fix the problem? this is something i have not tried or considered but the WPA option on the router is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

WPA is secure. WEP is not. I would switch it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DNS should also be the address of the Router. The Router will cache DNS and use it's WAN DHCP supplied DNS.

Advertisement