Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG Cars...Some info required

Options
  • 22-06-2007 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,

I have seen a couple of nice second-hand MG cars on the market and am thinking about buying one. But am wondering what the situation is with getting spares, getting a service done and general support for MG cars at the moment.

If anyone is in the know or owns an MG car then I would greatly appreciate their opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gbh wrote:
    Hi,

I have seen a couple of nice second-hand MG cars on the market and am thinking about buying one. But am wondering what the situation is with getting spares, getting a service done and general support for MG cars at the moment.

If anyone is in the know or owns an MG car then I would greatly appreciate their opinion.

Thanks in advance.

MGs are basically Rovers with tweaked styling, handling and tuning. The most common problems with them are head gasket failure, electrical problems and below average build quality. Search google for some owner's forums, they will be able to give you tips on common problems, etc.

They do need extra tlc which many owners simply don't give them so if you are the type that doesn't lift the bonnet then they are best avoided. An example of this is the coolant and other fluids are not checked rigerously which usually results in a blown head gasket. Spare parts are still available especially in the UK despite popular belief to the opposite.

They really are hit and miss so if you are buying one then look for one with a full service history that has been well looked after and make sure it is cheap to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

gbh wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    Don't touch an MG. My friend owned two, the head gaskets went on both within a couple of years, the second one the engine completely packed up and they had to put a completely new one in for her. Rover has gone now, but there is a certain time limited warranty, but I think that's only if the car was fairly new.

Anyway, I wouldn't touch one, after the trouble my friend had with two of them.

Advertisement